+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2, iPhone 4 Demand Grows, Supply to Shrink

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Digitimes is reporting shortages of both labor and materials, specifically at Foxconn, will be affecting Apple's overseas supply chain. The shortage will likely affect Apple's ability to ship the iPad
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad 2, iPhone 4 Demand Grows, Supply to Shrink

Digitimes is reporting shortages of both labor and materials, specifically at Foxconn, will be affecting Apple's overseas supply chain.

The shortage will likely affect Apple's ability to ship the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 in the second quarter of 2011 (Calendar time, not financial, so like June), upstream component makers told Digitime. Foxconn released a statement on the issue, (that in no way directly addressed the issue) merely emphasizing "that is has expereience arranging manpower to assist its clients in reaching their goals."

In Apple's case, those goals can be lofty. Apple sold 18.6 million iPhones in the first quarter of 2011, up from 16.2 million units in the fourth quarter of 2010. Apple's estimates put sales for iPhones in the second quarter of 2011 in the 20-22 million units sold range. Apple expects to sell 10-10.5 million iPad 2's in the second quarter of 2011 as well. However, shortages in parts like memory components, and power amplifiers, due to the earthquakes in Japan, have caused the majority of iPad production to shift from the Chengdu Foxconn Plants to the less capable Foxconn plants in Shenzhen. In order to meet the 3 million iPad 2's a month Apple demands, Foxconn will need to find a way to supply the ailing Chengdu plant with the necessary parts, and labor.

Hungry investors, and Apple's track record for continually beating sales estimates, could be at odd come the end of the 2nd quarter this year. Apple, though has been flexing its purchasing power buying up every touch panel, memory component, processor, and other necessary component it can get its hands on to meet demand. So much so, other tablet and smartphone manufacturers are experiencing even more purchasing woes. Samsung already saw the wi-fi version if it's 7" Galaxy tab miss it's march release date window, with the Galaxy 10.1 being delayed as well. Although, if you were fortunate enough to be one of the 5,000 attendees at Google's I/O conference, you walked away with a Galaxy 10.1 tablet ahead of its release date.

Don't expect Apple to run out of iDevices, just don't be surprised if the ridiculous waiting that accompanied the iPad 2's launch shortage makes a comeback.

Source: Digitimes
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 05-12-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The pic is strange. Is it intentional that the water is dripping from the wrong place on the faucet? Is it meaning to imply a leak?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

A nice way for Samsung to get rid of its future shelf stock

So basically this is stuff that we've been hearing about for the past month or so?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

ruffian (05-12-2011)

Thanks

Maybe cause they're making iPhone 5s
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks

that wouldn't surprise me if that were the case

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oops!

PM me if u think my sigs nice

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Maybe cause they're making iPhone 5s
    This is what i am thinking. Its Apples normal refresh time for the iPhone. I never gave into the hipe of a september iPhone 5 release.

Thanks

Who would even buy a iPhone 4 now? Its almost dead, and definitely showing its age compared to the snazzy new dual core bajiggahertz 4G competition.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    This is what i am thinking. Its Apples normal refresh time for the iPhone. I never gave into the hipe of a september iPhone 5 release.
    No, that doesn't mean it won't come in September at all. The iPad 2 also has a shortage, so that doesn't mean it'll ship in June. I hope it does ship in June, though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeaahh, they're making iPhone 5.

Thanks

I guess no i5 this summer?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by y0ungSir View Post
    No, that doesn't mean it won't come in September at all. The iPad 2 also has a shortage, so that doesn't mean it'll ship in June. I hope it does ship in June, though.
    who knows, only time will tell. I hope its more than just an Upgraded iPhone 4 tho.

Thanks

I hope it's the iPhone5, I'm going to hop back into the iPhone Train in August and would hate to get the iPhone4 if the iPhone5 is around the corner

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think the iPhone 5 will be around September but they would still be stock piling components for it to keep it away from RIMM, Samsung, HTC, etc.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default not waiting anymore
    Picking up iphone 4 today to begin another 18 month upgrade period. I'll be set to get the iphone with the major upgrade (iphone 6 ?) at the end of next year. If there is a release in June then i'll be within my 30 days to exchange. If not, then at least I started the 18 month upgrade period.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing

ipad case