+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Benchmarked iPad 2 Outdoes 80's Supercomputer

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The amount of innovation and technology developments in the last 20 years is astounding. The jump from "PCs" to true personal computers, laptops, powerful mobile phones, and the technology advancements
    Thanks

Default Benchmarked iPad 2 Outdoes 80's Supercomputer

The amount of innovation and technology developments in the last 20 years is astounding. The jump from "PCs" to true personal computers, laptops, powerful mobile phones, and the technology advancements within each category are just a few examples. These major developments are still recurring today and were shaped through tons of research and inventive work that started in the early 1980's.

An article recently posted in the Bits (Business * Innovation * Technology * Society) blog on the New York Times website brings many of us back to the days of 80s super computers. However, the article does not discuss what the supercomputers of 80's were like - but how a recently benchmarked iPad 2 blows the computing capabilities of these "super" computers out of the water.

Dr. Jack Dongarra, a computer scientist at the Unversity of Tennessee and the Oak Ridge National Labratory, is one of the computer scientists responsible for tracking the world's 500 fastest computers. As a result, he is an operator of the Linpack computing benchmark which tests the mathematical capabilities of computers using a linear algebra test. When he and his team tested the computing capabilities of the iPad 2, it was discovered this small pad-sized device would make a major rival of the Cray 2 supercomputer. The Cray 2 in its day was the fastest computer in the world (1985) and contained eight processors.

The team also concluded the iPad 2's processing speed is almost 10 times faster than it's predecessor, the iPad. The design of the new processor is most likely the cause for this incredible change.

Dongarra's team only tested one of the iPad 2's microprocessors. And even from those results, the figures make it a good competitor to the Cray 2 supercomputer. When they have finished conducting research on both microprocessors together, they are speculating the amount of computing power would have allowed the iPad 2 to be the fastest computer in the world all the way until 1994.

Source(s): Bits - New York Times
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 05-10-2011 at 12:01 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah outstanding

Green Apple
    Thanks

Awesome article. I remember the CRAY computers (Wargames, anyone???) So odd to think this little thing I hold in my hands is more powerful than something so big.

Good job.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

I remember the chess program Cray Blitz, written by Bob Hyatt, which, along with Belle, was one of the best computer chess competitors of its day.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Doesnt todays calculators out perform those old computerts?
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post
    Awesome article. I remember the CRAY computers (Wargames, anyone???) So odd to think this little thing I hold in my hands is more powerful than something so big.

Good job.
    Wargames was on HBO last night, had to watch it. Its amazing how far technology has come in 20 years.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is anyone really surprised by this? That's like me writing an article saying HD TV from today has better picture than the best set from the 80s. Of course technology grows and changes over time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jordbrett View Post
    Is anyone really surprised by this? That's like me writing an article saying HD TV from today has better picture than the best set from the 80s. Of course technology grows and changes over time.
    No, no surprise; however, it remains a fantastic indicator of our progress. Besides, your analogy isn't exactly apples-to-apples. Comparing a handheld device that almost anyone can own of today to a fill-the-room, powered-by-its-own-power-plant, only-the-government-can-afford super computer of yesteryear is more like comparing our HDTV of today with a movie (still frame) projector of the 1900's.

An enjoyable read, and an interesting historical reference.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Such an enjoyable read! Now if I could only get my hands on one of those slippery ba*#%rds!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll grab my flux capacitor, hop in my car and go back to 1985 and AMAZE you'all with my awesome compute powers!

Or not...

Fun read tho!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet back then if you had told them something as small as the iPad 2 would out perform that computer some day they would have just laughed lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c1ockwerk View Post
    Wargames was on HBO last night, had to watch it. Its amazing how far technology has come in 20 years.
    +1 I was watching wargames last night on HBO
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

In PC world there is no top of the line because a better one comes out as soon as it gets to your hands, so I am surprised we are actually progressing so slowly.

BTW you guys can probably watch Wargames on HBO Go.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Spaceman1701's Avatar
    Thanks

excellent article. Makes you think how far technology has come in such a short time. I wonder how the Ipad1 compares. I finally got my hands on a brand new Ipad1 and should be in today, WOOT!!!
    Thanks
    Last edited by Spaceman1701; 05-10-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm still amazed at the portability of technology in general, such as the ability to fit the entire NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 game libraries, plus a few movies and a season of Lost onto a phone. All that media alone would have occupied an entire bedroom back in the 90s. Not 10 years ago people were going nuts over monochrome phones that had Snake on them.
    Do I brag about which phone I have in this space?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steeda763 View Post
    I'm still amazed at the portability of technology in general, such as the ability to fit the entire NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 game libraries, plus a few movies and a season of Lost onto a phone. All that media alone would have occupied an entire bedroom back in the 90s. Not 10 years ago people were going nuts over monochrome phones that had Snake on them.
    Dude Snake will and always be the greatest game on any mobile device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Delerowen View Post
    Dude Snake will and always be the greatest game on any mobile device.
    word.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

In in 20 years the tech then will be better than today.

MCN
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    Doesnt todays calculators out perform those old computerts?

Exactly what I was thinking...We're talking 30 years ago! That's why if i have $700 to invest I'd rather purchase a Laptop! Might not be a macbook or anything, but we're talking 500GB's of storage, better processor, DVD Player, maybe even Blue Ray..Four Gb's of RAM, 15 in screen, WiFi capable, six USB ports, Firewire, SD reader, built in web cam...and doesn't need to be JAILBROKEN! Sure some have good uses for it, but iPad doesn't fit my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    In PC world there is no top of the line because a better one comes out as soon as it gets to your hands, so I am surprised we are actually progressing so slowly.

BTW you guys can probably watch Wargames on HBO Go.
    We're not progressing as slowly as we are made to think..The thing is there is plenty of money to be made on the in between products. My friends dad worked for Siemens back in the early 90's, and I remember him telling us how they were already working on TV's that lay flat on a table and display 4-D holographic images. 20+ years later we're just hitting flat screen 3-D TV's that still hang on the wall.
    Last edited by MCN; 05-10-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Still a bit fresh at this...and will evolve to FRESH in a Bel Air type of way!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I bet back then if you had told them something as small as the iPad 2 would out perform that computer some day they would have just laughed lol.
    Just like we laugh now at the prospect of colonizing other planets... There was a time when it was believed the earth was flat. To say the contrary was heresy. Then we learned it was round but believed it was the center of the universe, etc. So yes, they would've laughed, and quite hard.