Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Weekend iPad 2 Promotions at Best Buy, Toys R' Us Satisfy Few Customers

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Weekend iPad 2 Promotions at Best Buy, Toys R' Us Satisfy Few Customers

Retail giants Best Buy and Toys R' Us pushed ahead with elaborate iPad 2 promotions over the weekend. Despite the initial product introduction at Toys R' Us and the promoted bulked-up inventory at Best Buy, customers from coast to coast quickly took to the web - and to the media - to express anger at the lackluster availability of Apple's second-generation tablet even amidst a promotion that was ostensibly based on replenished supply.

Several readers on MMi's forums confirmed what sources and other iPad 2 shoppers have shared with us since last night. The overwhelming majority of Best Buy locations had, on average, only three iPad 2s in store. Not improving upon Best Buy's paltry stock, most Toys R' Us locations had only three to five tablets (all of which were in black).

Several weeks ago rumors began to swirl that Apple was angry with Best Buy for hoarding supply ahead of the weekend's iPad 2 sales bonanza. It now appears that the effort may have largely been made to no avail, as the apparent number of disappointed would-be iPad 2 buyers has only grown in the last 24 hours. At this time, neither Best Buy or Toys R' Us are dishing on when greater supplies will arrive and when Toys R' Us will expand iPad 2 availability beyond "select locations."

If, for some reason, Apple stores, Walmart, Target, AT&T, Verizon, Samís Club, and Radio Shack aren't your cup of tea for an iPad 2 purchase, you can check out the official participating store list on the Toys R' Us website to see if a location near you currently stocks the hottest tablet on the market. Click here to see the list.

I had to wait in line for three hours for mine, and I am glad I did

Only 3 in stock? After waiting in line until the store opened at 10, a rep came out at 9:55 and told everyone that they had no iPads in stock. He blamed it on the latest shipment from Apple not arriving on time (yeah, right). He did allow everyone in line to reserve one for pickup when they do arrive. Still, I feel like Best Buy pulled a fast one on me...

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

They're selling like hotcakes!

iPhone? More like MyPhone LamboFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, why am I not amazed? The iPad has surely gotten some mad attention.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

This is like the whole Tickle Me Elmo disaster from a few years ago...none to be found.

I got mine yesterday from Toys'R'Us in LA (Sepulveda & Jefferson)... they had at least 10 in stock (I saw the cupboard full of them), but they were all black 32Gb models (which was what I wanted anyway).

However, they only had the iPads -- they had no stocks of accessories or covers.

Anybody know if iTunes 10.2.2 just released is safe. Oh he'll. I'll just try it and get back. Forgot about bestbuys sale.

.:update:. Sync works fine after update.

Why aren't you guys on this yet? Gosh
    Last edited by rhekt; 04-18-2011 at 04:13 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

A device like the iPad 2, selling in record time and moving record quantities, doesn't need a special promotion. All this nonsense accomplished was to reassure customers that Best Buy is incapable of delivering on its promises.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone General Klinger's Avatar
    Thanks

Got my 32gb black at Toys R Us. Showed up 20 minutes before opening, and was the only one there till 5 of. Only had 5 total.

May return it unopened. Didnt want a 32gb. Wanted 16 but took what I could get.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDevil7334 View Post
    Only 3 in stock? After waiting in line until the store opened at 10, a rep came out at 9:55 and told everyone that they had no iPads in stock. He blamed it on the latest shipment from Apple not arriving on time (yeah, right). He did allow everyone in line to reserve one for pickup when they do arrive. Still, I feel like Best Buy pulled a fast one on me...
    I second that. Waited online for a best buy employee to come out and tell us that the iPad was not available. However, he suggested that we all reserve one as they were only taking reserves. Pure B.S..

This was at Best Buy in NYC on 6th Avenue and 23rd street.
    Last edited by vpa021; 04-18-2011 at 07:38 PM.

I ordered Mine and my wife's a couple weeks ago. Mine will be delivered Thursday, and hers latest the 28th... So glad we juat ordered it, an not wait to find one in stores. But I can't wait til I get my hands on it.... Any news on the jailbreak?????

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    This is like the whole Tickle Me Elmo disaster from a few years ago...none to be found.
    Careful there - you're showing your age... That was over a decade ago!

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Careful there - you're showing your age... That was over a decade ago!
    Wow!! Im only 25 and i remember that thata sucks

Ive been picking iPad 2 from best buy and target for the past two weeks, I bought at least 15 of them and made some profit on top, 40-80 tops which pays for my gas and time

I didn't go to Best Buy on Sunday, but my co-worker did. He wasn't able to get one at his local branch but made a reservation for a 16GB Wi-Fi model. The next day, he got a call that he can pick-up his order.

So I called my local Best Buy to ask if they were taking reservations and they were doing it. I went there to reserve, and the employee said they received a few just that morning. I wanted a black 32GB with AT&T, but they only had AT&T models in white. So I made my reservation and expected to wait a while.

The next day I received the call from Best Buy that I can pick-up my iPad 2! When I picked it up, another person just walked up and asked for a 64GB 3G model and they had it.

So, at least at my local Best Buy, they have more than just a few models in stock.