Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adobe Compromise Will Finally Bring Flash Video Streaming to iOS

Default Adobe Compromise Will Finally Bring Flash Video Streaming to iOS

Flash has been a thorn in Apple's side ever since the first iPhone shipped almost 4 years ago. While users have grown accustomed to their iOS devices not being able to display Flash content, it's unfortunate that Apple and Adobe have not been able to reach some sort of compromise before now.

Adobe, however, may have finally come up with a solution to the Flash dilemma once and for all with their latest version of Flash. At the National Association of Broadcasters trade show in Las Vegas, Adobe recently previewed the latest version of Flash that incorporates HTTP live streaming. With this new version of Flash, iOS devices will finally be able to display Flash video without the need to install any additional software on their devices.

Over the years Apple has been steadfast in their opposition to approving Flash for the iOS. Continually citing concerns over Flash’s poor overall performance and being detrimental to battery life. At one point Apple CEO Steve Jobs even went so far as to post an open letter on the company website defending their position regarding Flash on iOS devices entitled, Thoughts on Flash.

Adobe's latest vision, however, is designed to help content publishers stream protected video to more types of mobile devices including Apple's iPad 2. This new streaming technology is being built into Adobe's Media Server and will allow a much wider variety of devices access to Flash video content. Their solution is designed to be transparent to the end user and will not require any additional software to be downloaded as well.

According to Adobe’s company blog, “(HTTP Live Streaming) HLS is an MPEG2 transport stream (container) used by devices such as the Apple iPad 2. By adding support for HLS within the Flash Media Server, Adobe is reducing the publishing complexity for broadcasters who need to reach browsers supporting HLS through HTML5 (such as Safari) or devices where Adobe Flash is not installed.”

For the average user, the details of this plan to get Flash video to more devices is a bit technical, however, in the not too distant future, Flash required warnings will be a thing of the past. If your device doesn’t have Flash installed on it, no problem, the server will send you the video in a format that your device is capable of displaying. It’s unclear just how long it will take Adobe to implement this across the board, but at least a solution to the Flash problem is finally on its way.

Source: Adobe
    Last edited by Wiley John Wright; 04-16-2011 at 05:19 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

aidanski (04-16-2011), BadJ3d1 (04-17-2011), LuckyShot (04-16-2011), moon#pie (04-16-2011), NakedFaerie (04-16-2011), reanimationxp (04-17-2011), Reeksy86 (04-16-2011), TrineyGurl (04-28-2011)

Good to see it's finally come but bit to late if u ask me

The main issue with this is it does not "give us flash". It merely beats around the bush and formats the video so we can view it. I do not see how this will help with flash based sites such as grooveshark. Youtube already converts most videos so that they can be viewed on the idevice without flash

I'm so glad apple see's fit to decide what I can and can't see on my device. I know there's a group of you that hate flash and that's good for you, but I would like the option to see flash on MY i's.

Quote Originally Posted by sircrazy View Post
    The main issue with this is it does not "give us flash". It merely beats around the bush and formats the video so we can view it. I do not see how this will help with flash based sites such as grooveshark.
    agreed.... probably won't help with flash based sites all that much. Of course I'm just talking out my 4th point.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I hope this doesn't mean we'll be forced to watch pages cluttered with commercials in flash.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    I'm so glad apple see's fit to decide what I can and can't see on my device. I know there's a group of you that hate flash and that's good for you, but I would like the option to see flash on MY i's.
    theres an app for that =D cloudbrowse its like firefox emulator basically

and i rather not have flash on my phone and have 10 hrs or idle time >flash and less than 5hrs on idle time

Silly Apple, I'm so fed up with no flash on my iPhone that my next phone will be an Android. Ditto for iPad, won't be getting one, got myself an Andorid tablet instead which allows me to view the whole web not just the bits that Apple want me to see

Two lost sales for Apple

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickuk For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (04-16-2011), iBwizzle (04-16-2011)

Come on, try iSwifter for the iPad. It runs flash video and runs flash games with all the limitations that you would expect.

We'll see if this one makes it through the final stages.

That's "citing"; not "sighting". As in, "...continually citing concerns..."

Quote Originally Posted by pentatonic145 View Post
    that's "citing"; not "sighting". As in, "...continually citing concerns..."
    man you're cool. -___-

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stldirty For This Useful Post:

johnr9412 (04-16-2011)

I just want Hulu (not plus... Hulu free).

agreed.... probably won't help with flash based sites all that much. Of course I'm just talking out my 4th point.
    Apple can see fit to implement whatever they want on a device they design and sell. If after hundreds of millions of iOS devices sold without flash you didn't realize that iOS devices that's has nothing to do with Apples stupidity, it has everything to do with yours.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moreno53 For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (04-16-2011), mik3y08 (04-16-2011), moon#pie (04-16-2011), NetMage (04-16-2011), Poseidon79 (04-16-2011)

If u jailbreak, this is no big news! As we have been able to view flash "Gordon," at his best!

If u don't jailbreak, u should be used to Apple bending u over! Just consider this bonus of Steve Jobs "ALLOWING" u to view flash, as a complimentary "reach around" Apple style!

Whoopty-doooooo!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Bahaha lol at the comment about apple being able to decide what can be viewed on HIS ios device. I mean hell who is apple to tell me I can't run OSX on my iphone 4, its just rediculous huh?

BTW i have not logged on this site in a VERY long time, but the stupidity of your post forced me to do so.
    Last edited by mik3y08; 04-16-2011 at 07:35 AM.

If it's that big of an issue to you, why don't you just buy a droid? You knew before you bought your iPhone or iPad that it wouldn't support flash.

It's almost like someone getting mad at his car company because his car doesn't have power windows.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AUZambo For This Useful Post:

mik3y08 (04-16-2011), moon#pie (04-16-2011), Poseidon79 (04-16-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Silly Apple, I'm so fed up with no flash on my iPhone that my next phone will be an Android. Ditto for iPad, won't be getting one, got myself an Andorid tablet instead which allows me to view the whole web not just the bits that Apple want me to see

Two lost sales for Apple
    Somehow I dont feel your two sales hurt the quarterly totals.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Flash is crap. I think flash is what has made android such a p.o.s.

Banned
    Thanks

This just proves Adobe is the big man and crApple are the little girl still crying about Flash.
    Dont you think as its OUR iDEVICE then WE should have the choice to watch flash or not?

When is crApple going to grow up and realise its OUR DEVICE and let us do WHAT WE WANT with OUR devices?
    I think they will loose as someone else is going to make a better tablet and everyone will buy that instead of the iPad 3 or the iPhone 5/6 coz its so tightly locked and limited and that makes the competition is so appealing.
    crApple will one day say to itself "why didn't we let your customers watch flash on their iDevices?" that'll be the day they stop making devices and the day they loose.

BUT while there are crApple fanboys wasting their money on their iDevices crApple are still winning. How about you guys get out of your grey houses away from your grey macs and look at what the rest of the world are using. A PC that does 1000 more things a Mac can do and an Android phone which is so user friendly if you use it for a week you'll realise how good it is and you wont go back to the iPhone with its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    Flash is crap. I think flash is what has made android such a p.o.s.
    It's not Flash that makes Android a pos as you would call it. It's because of the fragmentation caused by the manufacturers who modify Android to their liking with inconsistent updates. There is no consistency which makes it a nuisance for devs to produce software for Android.

===

Personally, it would be nice to have an option to have Flash. More freedom to the users in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    This just proves Adobe is the big man and crApple are the little girl still crying about Flash.
    Dont you think as its OUR iDEVICE then WE should have the choice to watch flash or not?

When is crApple going to grow up and realise its OUR DEVICE and let us do WHAT WE WANT with OUR devices?
    I think they will loose as someone else is going to make a better tablet and everyone will buy that instead of the iPad 3 or the iPhone 5/6 coz its so tightly locked and limited and that makes the competition is so appealing.
    crApple will one day say to itself "why didn't we let your customers watch flash on their iDevices?" that'll be the day they stop making devices and the day they loose.

BUT while there are crApple fanboys wasting their money on their iDevices crApple are still winning. How about you guys get out of your grey houses away from your grey macs and look at what the rest of the world are using. A PC that does 1000 more things a Mac can do and an Android phone which is so user friendly if you use it for a week you'll realise how good it is and you wont go back to the iPhone with its limits.
    I agree, end-user freedom. Still, Adobe needs to optimize the software better = \. Running Adobe Premiere or Indesign are the most annoying things I ever had to deal with. Predominantly, I am a Windows user, but I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 15" and I love it. It's great for multimedia projects that I often do.
    Last edited by Radex; 04-16-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast