+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Awarded Patent for USB 3.0/DisplayPort/Thunderbolt Connector

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
According to PatentlyApple , apple has been granted a patent for new hybrid connector that would be used on future iOS device. The connectors would allow both DisplayPort, Thunderbolt, and
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple Awarded Patent for USB 3.0/DisplayPort/Thunderbolt Connector

According to PatentlyApple, apple has been granted a patent for new hybrid connector that would be used on future iOS device. The connectors would allow both DisplayPort, Thunderbolt, and USB 3.0 connections to go directly to and from the iOS device.

The patented product would eventually roll out to all iOS devices, including the recently updated iPad. PatentlyApple notes that this product could be nearing completion, and could see a release this year or early next year. The patent also hints that Apple might be looking into USB 3.0 for future Macs, or providing compatibility for PCs that already have support for the interface.

Further suggested by the patent is something that floated around the speculation for the iPad 2, the addition of Thunderbolt for iOS devices. First added to the revamped MacBook Pro earlier this year, and expected to be added to all Mac product lines as they are updated in the coming months.

This product makes a ton of sense for Apple. In order to obtain content from home computers, it seems like its time for Apple to take the next step from the current USB 2.0 interface it currently relies on. With massive theoretical speeds for this interface this would be a massive upgrade.

Source:
    PatentlyApple

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

That would be nice to have it on all Apple devices. iPhone sync would be screaming fast.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is that the same form factor as the current dock connector?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

wow that would make for insane sync times

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^ totally agree

Thanks

^^^My words exactly. Hope it shows up on all devices!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I hate the 30 pin connector!!!!! Give us MagSafe like connector for iPhone!!!!!^^^^ who doesn't agree with SB?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scatman10 For This Useful Post:

hxclos (04-05-2011), Snozberries (04-11-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They need to get this thing on the 2011 mac mini!

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

MagSafe doesn't transfer data, only power. So you wouldn't be able to sync with iTunes, only charge your iDevice. I think this 30 pin connector with ALL 3 of the most popular interfaces is a fantastic idea though. Completely compatible with EVERY computer out there, since USB 3 has backward support for USB 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks

Heck yes! Please! It make things a zip!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Looking forward to it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

this is a very much needed upgrade for syncing. You would be able to sync really fast if you were in a hurry to try and get a movie loaded up
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

"The patented product would eventually roll out to all iOS devices, including the recently updated iPad."

Is that right? That statement implies that all current hardware already supports this new hybrid connector.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

^ the 30pin conector can all ready transfer data at very high speeds (3Gbsp [correct me if I'm wrong]) the only limitation is the USB cable.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Do we have to go through these "sync speed" delusions every time there's a story on new ports?
    Your current iDevice, next years iDevice and probably the year after that too, won't have flash memory that can read/write faster than USB2.0.
    You will not see any sync speed increase.

It's like thinking if you have dial-up Internet but you plug the modem into your ethernet port that you'll magically have high-speed Internet. I thought people on these forums were supposed to be tech savvy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

Nice.
    My latest theme - -

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Do we have to go through these "sync speed" delusions every time there's a story on new ports?
    Your current iDevice, next years iDevice and probably the year after that too, won't have flash memory that can read/write faster than USB2.0.

It's like thinking if you have dial-up Internet but you plug the modem into your ethernet port that you'll magically have high-speed Internet. I thought people on these forums were supposed to be tech savvy!
    VERY well stated

Thanks

I don't know what type of iPhones, iPods and iPads are sold in Ireland but I can say mine don't have hard drives in them. Additionally, for Pc's and Macs alike you can always upgrade of order your product with SSD instead of traditional HD. I can say from my MacBook Pro I am currently limited by the cables and internet.

With that said I welcome the improvement/added features.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    I don't know what type of iPhones, iPods and iPads are sold in Ireland but I can say mine don't have hard drives in them. Additionally, for Pc's and Macs alike you can always upgrade of order your product with SSD instead of traditional HD. I can say from my MacBook Pro I am currently limited by the cables and internet.

With that said I welcome the improvement/added features.
    Please, I beg you, point out where I said iPhones, iPods and iPads have hard drives?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Good point. However if we continue to see RAM increases, let's say to a gig, Apple might implement some clever caching techniques that would really speed things up for smaller transfers(ie - <1GB) and would also speed things up for large transfers as well. Obviously the former in the example would see the greatest benefit as anything over 1GB would still bottleneck at the flash, though you would still see some benefit. If caching is implemented in that fashion, especially where the data is usable while it is in RAM, so one wouldn't have to wait for it all to write to the disk, it could substantially cut sync times. Either way great idea as A/V stuff would benefit greatly and even if the bandwidth won't realize it's full potential in the immediate future it sure is a great start. If apple can put this technology in place it will serve as a great foundation as NAND flash, RAM, and busses yet faster. I'm looking forward to maybe seeing this in the near future. As a side not I wish that apple would include a USB cable with a small adapter on the end for the 30-pin connector. In this case it would be great to see microUSB, TB and HDMI all on 1 adapter. Much like Apple includes a separate USB charger piece the 30pin piece should also be it's component. Realistically how much more would that cost Apple for the added functionality? It will probably never happen though considering their crazy high margins on accessories!