Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Apple Patent Hints at Spaces for iPad

Default New Apple Patent Hints at Spaces for iPad

One of my favorite features of Mac OS X is spaces, the simple feature that allows the user to have multiple desktops to allow different workspaces and separate applications to allow for more seamless multitasking. As someone who's often attempting to do about thirty things at once on my Mac, spaces is my lifeline. Now it looks like this feature may come to another Apple product, the iPad.

Strangely, the patent picture shows the iPad running what looks like OS X (the thought that Mac OS could come to the iPad isn't crazy, but that's for another story) and allowing users to place different open applications in different spaces, just as one does on their Mac. Spaces still appears in OS X Lion, alongside the new Mission Control feature. The picture also implies that users would use specific gestures to move applications into different spaces, and to maneuver from space to space.

This is an area I feel that Apple could improve on in iOS, particularly on the iPad. Android already has this ability to an extent, where a home screen page can be a user-defined running application, such as a calendar, mail, or clock app. With the current multitasking implementation in iOS 4, this is not possible. It may be that Apple will enhance these capabilities in iOS 5, which should be unveiled very soon.

Also, it should be noted that this patent was filed quite a while ago, sometime in the third quarter of 2009, before the iPad was ever released, so this patent may never come to fruition at all. But it's still possible we could see this implemented in future versions of iOS. We'll certainly learn what the future of the OS has in store at WWDC in June.

Source:
    Patently Apple

I don't know how I feel about spaces for the ipad... I don't think it works all that well the way android implements it... It seems like a technology better suited to a traditional workstation.

dont think spaces would be very good for either ipads, would probably be to slow

iPhone? More like MyPhone FURBY8704's Avatar
    Thanks

personally i'd like to see expose more than spaces

iPHONE 3G FW 4.0 JB & iPHONE 4 4.0 READY TO BE JB=]

Quote Originally Posted by wljw69 View Post
    dont think spaces would be very good for either ipads, would probably be to slow
    Why would it be slow or bad? Apple generally DOES NOT implement features until they are usable, polished and by their standard, perfect. Please explain why it would be slow... That doesn't really make any sense at all to me...

*cough*iOS notification system *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by FURBY8704 View Post
    personally i'd like to see expose more than spaces
    my thoughts as well...seems like ipad would be perfect for expose. would be much more efficient than current multitasking system

Quote Originally Posted by mvhurlburt View Post
    Why would it be slow or bad? Apple generally DOES NOT implement features until they are usable, polished and by their standard, perfect. Please explain why it would be slow... That doesn't really make any sense at all to me...
    Can you say this about multitasking on the i4?

Quote Originally Posted by Tully Mars View Post
    my thoughts as well...seems like ipad would be perfect for expose. would be much more efficient than current multitasking system
    Lol, sorry I didn't see ur comment

Thanks

To be more efficient, the iPad really needs real windows that can be resized moved around and put on top of each other, like on a desktop. This is probably step in the right direction

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
    Can you say this about multitasking on the i4?
    Yes I can.

Spaces and Expose would both be sweet on the iPad. Apple would implement them in a way that it would run smoothly.

I think multiflow is good enough.

Can MMI get back to some MODDING news? I mean Cydget for all firmwares was released today in Cydia, and there's no mention of it anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaddestiPod View Post
    Can MMI get back to some MODDING news? I mean Cydget for all firmwares was released today in Cydia, and there's no mention of it anywhere...
    WHAT!?!?!? WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME THIS EARLIER? yeah modmyi needs to have modding news.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

this would be really cool, would be a lot easier to multitask, i guess that multiflow does, sort of gives you a spaces layout, but i would be cool to switch from one app to another by maybe a gesture so some sort
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Yes I can.

Spaces and Expose would both be sweet on the iPad. Apple would implement them in a way that it would run smoothly.
    Spaces AND Exposť are already on the iPad. With Multifl0w from Cydia, you can get Exposť App switching. With the iOS 4.3 Multitasking gestures, you can get spaces-like App switching. Swiping with four fingers to the left or right switches Applications just like on Mac OS X, especially if you have the Magic Trackpad. It's the same gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    To be more efficient, the iPad really needs real windows that can be resized moved around and put on top of each other, like on a desktop. This is probably step in the right direction
    I don't know. Unless those windows were small applications like Widgets, that doesn't seem like it would be very efficient at all. Maybe if there was a Dashboard Space like there is in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, then iOS and Mac OS X will really become the blended Operating System that Apple wants them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tully Mars View Post
    It IS perfect for Exposť with Multifl0w from Cydia. Once Activator takes advantage of Multitouch gestures, then you'll be able to switch apps as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    I think multiflow is good enough.
    Yes. It is good enough.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love expose for the iPhone and iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kil0111's Avatar
    Thanks

Slow news lately...

Removed for being inappropriate. This is your sixth and final warning -

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Certde View Post
    Spaces AND Exposť are already on the iPad. With Multifl0w from Cydia, you can get Exposť App switching. With the iOS 4.3 Multitasking gestures, you can get spaces-like App switching. Swiping with four fingers to the left or right switches Applications just like on Mac OS X, especially if you have the Magic Trackpad. It's the same gesture.
    You didn't read my post, I said it would be nice if APPLE were to implement Spaces and Expose, Apple..not Cydia. I understand what Cydia has out for us in that category. Also that gesturing you're talking about is not the Spaces I'm referring too. That may be a good way to switch between apps but Spaces opens up a new blank "Space" for you to use.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Have y'all seen cydia lately?? It now has a timeline? Lol check it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast