+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 Shipping Times Improve on The Eve of International Launch

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
An optimist sees it as a positive sign of things to come. A pessimist says its the clam before the storm. No matter how you view the new estimated shipping
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 564 Posts

Default iPad 2 Shipping Times Improve on The Eve of International Launch

An optimist sees it as a positive sign of things to come. A pessimist says its the clam before the storm. No matter how you view the new estimated shipping times for iPad 2 orders placed online, one thing is for certain. Apple is well aware of the crushing demand for the second generation tablet, and the supply faucet has been turned on full blast. And that's a very promising indication, given the big weekend the iPad 2 is facing.

Today, new signs emerged that the iPad 2 is becoming more readily available. Online orders placed with Apple now return with a 3 to 4 week shipping estimate in the US, which is an improvement over longer shipping times estimated during the previous two weeks. Not bad considering that the iPad 2 inventory was fully depleted the first weekend of availability on March 11th.

Of course, some are cautioning restraint to the optimism that supply concerns are now behind us. This weekend, a new case of iPad 2 fever might break out. Online preorders have already commenced for tomorrow's scheduled international launch. But perhaps the greatest indicators of the forthcoming demand increase are the long lines already being observed this evening at Apple stores around the world (the UK Telegraph found one man in line 33 hours early). From Great Britain to Australia, long lines are already being reported ahead of tomorrow's 5:00 pm iPad 2 roll out. Although it isn't known how many units Apple has made available for this weekend's global debut, some analysts are expecting another depleted international inventory, possibly by Monday.

Despite a delay for obvious tragic reasons to the iPad's arrival in Japan, all plans for the iPad 2 international debut have seemingly gone well. Just recently, in fact, Apple stated that the second generation tablet will hit Hong Kong, Korea, and Singapore next month, to be followed by a plethora of other nations before the end of the year. Tomorrow, however, the iPad 2 will arrive in 25 new countries. They include: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K.

Source: The UK Telegraph

Thanks

At least some people will be getting them.

Green Apple
    Thanks

the CLAM BEFORE THE STORM!!!!

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Hopefully Apple readily produced many many iPad 2's

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I just got my iPad 2 Today.

Thanks

iff this is like iphone 4 there will be plenty of them to be had in germany.... im thinking about it....
    "Jane, get me off this crazy thing !!!!"

Thanks

Got mine delivered to the house yesterday. Estimated delivery was 1630 EST. Actual delivery was 1617. Not bad
    Earl

Thanks

Well my estimated ship date went from 4-22 to 4-21... =\ I guess that's better?

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

mine says Ships: Apr 21

i placed the order March 23rd at about 5 pm.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Still waiting on Best Buy to get more here. I heard other stores around the country have gotten new shipments but the ones here haven't gotten any since launch day. One store expects some to come in tonight so I hope its a big shipment.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Smile Yep.....
    Yeah, I just checked the shipping time for my iPad 2 and they upped the shipping date by 5 days earlier. Hopefully that will get better, would be nice to see another week knocked off the shipping date.

Stryker

Thanks

Mine arrives in a few days!!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So they didn't have enough iPads to fill the demand for the U.S. and claimed their supply output couldn't meet the demand.....but they sure have enough to ship to 25 other countries.

Artificial supply shortage to increase demand at its finest right there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    So they didn't have enough iPads to fill the demand for the U.S. and claimed their supply output couldn't meet the demand.....but they sure have enough to ship to 25 other countries.

Artificial supply shortage to increase demand at its finest right there.

Its not an artificial supply shortage, they can't deliver all there stock to the US because then there would be none for the 25 other countries expecting the ipad 2. Dont make statements that cant be backed up
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammo123 View Post
    Its not an artificial supply shortage, they can't deliver all there stock to the US because then there would be none for the 25 other countries expecting the ipad 2. Dont make statements that cant be backed up
    Its a proven business strategy that frequently takes place. Obviously Apple won't admit it so there's no way to back it up. After all of the previous products like the iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad etc that handily sell out in HOURS you'd think they would think ahead and up production for the next product. But still they manage to build scarce quantities and then the stores sell out in 20 minutes.

An artificial supply shortage is exactly what they're doing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

Its a proven business strategy that frequently takes place. Obviously Apple won't admit it so there's no way to back it up. After all of the previous products like the iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad etc that handily sell out in HOURS you'd think they would think ahead and up production for the next product. But still they manage to build scarce quantities and then the stores sell out in 20 minutes.

They need to supply 26 countries, the time and resources needed to serve everyone who wants an ipad is highly unlikely so i will let you think what you want, come back with evidence and I will gladly accept what your saying
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

Thanks

Let's hope it's better than the Canadian launch of the iPhone 4. I had to call 25 stores every day for 2 months to get one...
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

It by no means is in Apple's interests to artificially back-load their supply chain. Frankly, I doubt they're doing it.

It's rather well-known Apple uses a just-in-time supply chain. Based on previous product launches (and personal supposition) I believe Apple has the capacity to process (manufacture or refurbish) roughly 300,000 iPads of all sorts per week (4.19 million iPads were sold in Q4 2010, assuming exactly as many tablets were made as sold and sales were constant throughout the period).

It's also a fairly safe assumption to believe that the design for the final production iPad isn't set in stone until at most six weeks before the launch date, and that production is limited in the early run to iron out any last kinks more easily.

Let's assume a six-week run-in (probably a bit generous actually). The first two weeks the factories output at half capacity, and the last four weeks (and all subsequent weeks) they output at full capacity. They'd have 1.5 million units on hand for the first launch, with 300k more being added each week.

I bet the new iPad has come pretty close to 1.5 million unit sales in the US since its launch. And they do have to have somewhat of a stock on hand for roughly another 1.3 billion people getting the opportunity to buy the iPad on the 25th.

Furthermore, it's not like Apple exactly needs to manufacture demand for these puppies--they really sell themselves for the most part.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

sammo123 (03-24-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I was about to place mine online and decided to walk in to a local Target store. The shelf was empty but I asked the person who was working at the electronics department and asked to see if they had iPad 2's instock. They said, yes, I asked how many, he said, good 10 or so. I picked up 2 (limit) and one of them are on Craigslist right now..

Not a huge update from the 1st ipad but I guess i will notice the difference when I start up my apps once installed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the main reason why ipad2 delivery is so slow ???...according to my sources...Apple decided to use UPS as its main courier...and on international launch day... Apple asked FEDEX for assistance...