+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New York Times Rolling Out Subscription Service for Digital Edition

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The New York Times announced that they will be raising a paywall for the digital edition of one of the world's most popular publications today. This will require users reading
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default New York Times Rolling Out Subscription Service for Digital Edition

The New York Times announced that they will be raising a paywall for the digital edition of one of the world's most popular publications today. This will require users reading online, or on a iOS (or any other device) to pay a monthly subscription fee. The new service will allow users to access twenty articles per month for free. After that, users will be required to purchase a digital subscription in order access newspaper content. Digital Subscription services will launch on March 28, 2011.

The announcement notes that if a user is already a home subscriber, they will have access to the digital edition as well. For non-home delivery subscribers, one can pay 15$ per month for access to NYTimes.com or through a phone app. Tablet users will have to pay an additional 20$ per month for access. There is also a combined 35$ subscription for unlimited access on any device. That plan would bring the total price for digital subscription to over $450 per year.

It will be very interesting to see how successful the New York Times will be in requiring subscriptions for their content. With a fairly steep yearly asking price, they may find trouble wooing subscribers. It should also be noted that thirty percent of the subscription fees will go to Apple, as is the case for all in-app subscriptions.

Source:
    Press Release

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That's expensive...count me out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

Well does anyone know the costs for a regular paper subscription? This is insanely expensive

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Removing the app as we speak...

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed, too much.

It looks like subscribing does not even remove the advertisements.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

Thanks

Price varies depending on location. But in ny it's almost $6 a week for 7 day subscription. Which is a good deal. $20 a mo for digital is a ripoff tho. And I am somehow personally insulted that apple thinks they deserve 30% of this. They can go **** themselves and I will NEVER do an in app purchase due to their crooked policies. Again I will say, I have never hated a company as much as I do apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by epignosis567 View Post
    Price varies depending on location. But in ny it's almost $6 a week for 7 day subscription. Which is a good deal. $20 a mo for digital is a ripoff tho. And I am somehow personally insulted that apple thinks they deserve 30% of this. They can go **** themselves and I will NEVER do an in app purchase due to their crooked policies. Again I will say, I have never hated a company as much as I do apple.
    That's crazy.. The cheaper options are only like $3/week too.

So if I purchase my sub through iTunes, I'll be paying 100-200% more than if I just got home delivery with free digital access.

Thanks Apple, you're awesome.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

Thanks

We can ask the app crackers to crack in app subscriptions for us

Thanks

$35 to read the paper on a tablet?!?!?!?!

Just go get the AP news app. Most newspapers stories come from there anyway and its free.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iliveudie View Post
    We can ask the app crackers to crack in app subscriptions for us
    By accepting something like this would consider this warez or pirating... and I am sure you know this right? Support the dev's that make the apps! If you can't save your pennies.....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,215 Posts

Little pricy
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If newspaper and magazine subscriptions are going to cost that much they won't ever do well electronically. The subscription feature is supposed to lower the price significantly like with mailed subscriptions.

Thanks

This is a rip off. I get the NY Times and WSJ home delivery and online subscriptions for about $350 a year.

Thanks

I did a brief search so I wouldn't just be guessing, and according to Newspaper cost structure:

In a typical operation, the biggest costs are industrial ones: around 25%-35% for paper and printing; another 30%-40% for distribution; around 1825% for editorial; the remaining 1015% are for administrative and mar*keting expenditures.

It varies from country to country but we can safely assert most of the costs at least 60% are industrial in nature. Evidently, that part disappears when going online.

I have no problem paying for quality news reporting, and I sympathize with the industry that's struggling to find a business model that works in the digital age.

But when they try to charge twice as much for something that costs them half as much, my sympathy rapidly fades away.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to krosis For This Useful Post:

sziklassy (03-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    By accepting something like this would consider this warez or pirating... and I am sure you know this right? Support the dev's that make the apps! If you can't save your pennies.....
    Of course lol. It was just a joke. Seeing everyone talking about the price just makes me think of the people who pirate apps because they can't afford them.

And, I don't believe that it can even be done.

Thanks

No biggie. I'll just get my news, for free, elsewhere. I'm sure the NYT will see a steep decline of readers after this pay wall gets implemented. I guess they want to give away their visitors to other news sites.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am seeing plenty of people mention that the "real" paper costs money. While this is true, it also costs far more to distribute it to each person who ends up with the paper in their hand than it does digitally. Furthermore, the Sunday paper generally has coupons, that if you spend 5 minutes clipping will let you save on groceries and various other items, which is also value added to consumers.

One thing is for certain. NYT's online readership is going to plummet come the 28th.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iliveudie View Post
    think of the people who pirate apps because they can't afford them.
    That's funny and stereotypical. I like to try before I buy. I hate wasting money on useless things. I support devs but I'm not going to fatten a frog for no snake. Ny times should feel ashamed of doing this but if they can get people to subscribe for digital issues then go ahead. I won't be one.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why not just go to their site. And if they block the Apple User agent just download a browser to change it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsweeney800 View Post
    Why not just go to their site. And if they block the Apple User agent just download a browser to change it.
    If you read the announcement link posted above, you will understand it better. They are making a digital subscription, not just a smart phone application subscription. NYT plans to cut their website AND application services down, and only allow only 20 articles for free, then a "digital membership" for anything beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by p3ezi(4) View Post
    That's funny and stereotypical. I like to try before I buy. I hate wasting money on useless things. I support devs but I'm not going to fatten a frog for no snake. Ny times should feel ashamed of doing this but if they can get people to subscribe for digital issues then go ahead. I won't be one.
    And I agree with you here. I absolutely hate paying to download something then being disappointed. It infuriates me.

If I enjoy the app I "test" then I buy it through the app store. If I don't, I delete it permanently.

I don't support piracy, but I do support being able to test applications, which I why I believe EVERY application should have a free trial version. But unfortunately, most do not. Which is why alternate (and unspeakable on this website) solutions are acceptable in some circumstances.