+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Will Be Top Tablet Maker Through 2013: Report

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Apple will have a lock on the tablet market until 2013 at the earliest. That's the conclusion of a new study by the market researchers at DisplaySearch , who are
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Will Be Top Tablet Maker Through 2013: Report

Apple will have a lock on the tablet market until 2013 at the earliest. That's the conclusion of a new study by the market researchers at DisplaySearch, who are predicting that Apple will sell as many as 40 million iPads this year alone. Meanwhile, the analytics firm Canalys says that for every 10 tablets that ship this year, 5 PC sales will be lost, further underscoring a major shift that's been underway in the computer industry. So if these trends hold, then very soon Apple could be the world's number one computer maker (that is, assuming you count iPads as computers, which they are), or at the very least in the top three.

DisplaySearch, in looking at the near-term trends for the world's touch panel manufacturers, estimates that Apple will buy 40 million touchscreens for iPads in 2011, as compared to the 15 million they bought last year. They also say only 60 million tablets total will sell this year, indicating that Apple's dominance will continue in 2011. It's not until 2013 that DisplaySearch estimates that every other manufacturer on planet Earth put together will finally sell as many tablets as Apple, leaving the iPad at "only" 50% market share.

The growth in tablet sales, according to a new report by Canalys, comes at the expense of "traditional" PCs, particularly netbooks. For every 10 "pads," as they call them (suggesting Apple's trademark may one day be, like "Band-Aid," a generic term), 5 PCs won't be sold. 200% more "pads" will be sold this year, as compared to only 8% more notebooks and 14% fewer netbooks. Last year 350 million PCs were sold, so with Canalys projecting that yearly pad sales will grow to 260 million in 2016, this suggests that by mid-decade there will be more pads sold than PCs.

One observer thinks this may mean that Apple will soon be the top PC maker. Jonny Evans at Computerworld guesstimates that Apple will have 20% of the world PC market this year, including tablets. This would propel them past Acer and have them within shouting distance of market leaders HP and Dell. Last year Goldman Sachs predicted Apple would sell 37 million tablets this year for a market share of 12%. Either way, that's a huge increase over last year's share of just 4.4%.

Source: TUAW

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

Tablets are the future for now, but as technology advances tablets will be something of the past
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

Thanks

You need a computer to use an iPad so why would more people buying iPad's meen less people buying computers?

People will always use desktop computers, find me a tablet with a 12 core CPU @ 5GHz, 8GB RAM and a dual core GPU @ 1GHz with 4GB of vRAM.
    Last edited by spazturtle; 03-16-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Adding more content

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm going to invest in apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    You need a computer to use an iPad so why would more people buying iPad's meen less people buying computers?

People will always use desktop computers, find me a tablet with a 12 core CPU @ 5GHz, 8GB RAM and a dual core GPU @ 1GHz with 4GB of vRAM.
    I know plenty of people that actually just borrow a friends computer for there phone or there iPod so there are a lot of people getting away with not having a computer

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

What else is new.

Thanks

Yea honestly, tablets are NOT computers! When you need a computer to sync to a tablet right there that tells you it's not! When a tablet has all the ports and drives that my 1080p notebook has, then and only then will it be a computer! For now, it's nothing more then a gimmick that Steve Jobs has made the majority of you all think you need. I admit he plays the public well but...

Also no flash? LOL!!! That's like half of the web right here missing from the iPad, it's amazing how many people buy this thing.
    "Don't hold it like that!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well i'm buying one and i own a laptop (win xp) and a Macbook.
    Who needs flash anyway!!! I have it disabled on my laptop.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Guys... They are saying new computer sold, does not say people will not own one. They may put off buying a new computer when they buy a tablet (iPad or anything else) because they can sync with the old computer.
    I would say it is cutting more into new Apple computer sales since a lot of new iPad owners owns Apple products.
    And I also see this touch pad as a fad, it will go away. It is only nice to have on a phone or something. For me iPad WILL NEVER replace a computer, it is way too limited. iPad is sitting in my desk drawer collecting dust, company bought it for me to evaluate if it is a tech we want to get into and my answer was no.
    Last edited by unison999; 03-16-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

iPad vs my Quad Core, 8gb Ram, High Res Screen MacBook Pro with 750gb Hard Drive- seriously the ipad is not gonna replace my computer and if anything makes it look like bit of a toy.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post

Lol, 3 yrs later...

Apple: iPad 4 has 12 core CPU @ 4GHZ, 10 GB Ram, and a quadcore gpu with 3 GB of ram.

And you don't need a computer to update it or activate it!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ddaniel87 View Post
    I'm going to invest in apple
    Too bad you didn't think of that 10 years ago, when apple stock wasn't 300 a share.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

If all apple iPad and iPhone have factory unlock, apple will be the top seller than others device...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

*coughs*BULLSHYT*

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My god, I've seen so many intelligent people so grossly miss the point. These projections at no point are meant to say people will no longer have desktop computers.

What they are saying is that, instead of getting a new desktop every 2 years, the average consumer might stretch that out to every 4-5, and get a shiny new tablet in the interim. It could also mean that a household, like mine, might go from (2 desktops and 2 laptops) to (1 desktop, a laptop and 2 tablets) or any other possible configuration that would entail less frequent purchase of a new PC.

Another factor is that tablets aren't currently upgradable (while PCs and to a lesser degree laptops are). My desktop can be upgraded bits here and there to help stretch out it's lifespan, while if I wanna stay on top of my tablets, probably no more than every other year is going to be reasonable. Updating my iPad and iPhone every year or two is going to cut into my throw away money and thus my desktop (and laptop) are the likely areas that will suffer from this reallocation of funds.

I'm not throwing them away because I've got iPads in my house, but they are going to be replaced far less frequently, which, is really all this article is saying.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClerkDante For This Useful Post:

Channan (03-17-2011), DisneyRicky (03-16-2011), krosis (03-23-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

I change my way to mac computer, honestly i'm not thinking on going back to pc's, and dont know somebody that will. Once you go Mac u Can go back. If you dont agree try a mac and you see.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Until I can Sync (wired/wireless) my iPhone to the iPad, Use any wireless printer, external storage devices. The list can go on. I've yet to buy a computer, that required a computer to activate it.
    If the iPad is considered a computer then the iPhone/iPod would be a computer as well.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sucram6791's Avatar
    Thanks

we wont even be around in 2013

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I mean why the hell does every iDevice require you to connect it to a computer before you can use it?
    Until I can buy an iDevice, and use it straight out of the box, they will never be classed as computers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone phoenix81's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    Yea honestly, tablets are NOT computers! When you need a computer to sync to a tablet right there that tells you it's not! When a tablet has all the ports and drives that my 1080p notebook has, then and only then will it be a computer! For now, it's nothing more then a gimmick that Steve Jobs has made the majority of you all think you need. I admit he plays the public well but...

Also no flash? LOL!!! That's like half of the web right here missing from the iPad, it's amazing how many people buy this thing.

Flash, really.... People are still complaining about that. In a year of owning an iPhone 4 i have visted 1, I repeat ONE site that i couldn't view due to no flash. Get over it... It is simply not needed..

com·put·er
       /kəmˈpyutər/ Show Spelled[kuhm-pyoo-ter] Show IPA
    –noun
    Also called processor. an electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations. Compare analog computer, digital computer.
    a person who computes; computist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Until I can Sync (wired/wireless) my iPhone to the iPad, Use any wireless printer, external storage devices. The list can go on. I've yet to buy a computer, that required a computer to activate it.
    If the iPad is considered a computer then the iPhone/iPod would be a computer as well.
    wifi iPad does not technically every have to be hooked to a computer. Think about it, the only reason you hook it up is to transfer media on or off.... If you never had a PC with media on it to begin with you would have nothing to transfer. You would buy all music and movies from iTunes. There's only one area you run into a problem is pictures, how to print or transfer.. although there are bluetooth printers if i am not mistaken so that could work.... so problem solved.

although i see every ones point, i had to interject this thought.
    Last edited by phoenix81; 03-16-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost