Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Will Be Top Tablet Maker Through 2013: Report

As an IT professional i own macbook ,hp proliant blade (home server), hackintosh, imac, 2 pc workstations, iPad and iPhone.

the iPad is only for my time watching tv or maybe if i feel like killing some time playing a game, maybe reading the paper, some magazines.....but by no means is it going to replace any of my other computer needs.

when its time to upgrade iPad is the last thing on my list.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone phoenix81's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NDM View Post
    As an IT professional i own macbook ,hp proliant blade (home server), hackintosh, imac, 2 pc workstations, iPad and iPhone.

the iPad is only for my time watching tv or maybe if i feel like killing some time playing a game, maybe reading the paper, some magazines.....but by no means is it going to replace any of my other computer needs.

Let me ask you this, If iPad had a "windows compatibility mode"
    where certain programs and diagnostic stuff could be run from it how much would that impact you as an IT person... Would your statement change at all.. I am only curious. Hell I dont even have an iPad. lol

I know for my job "Service tech" that needs a pc for certain things above and beyond email and such. I would never touch my laptop if i had a compatibility mode, or someone could rewrite the programs i need into apps.. and they are very simple programs. Hell it would make my whole day tens times easier.

Also, short of program creation, or art intensive things what cant you do on the iPad.. It seems most things "could" be done. People just haven"t done some of it yet...

Once again, not trying to fight with anyone.... Just constructive conversation...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    People will always use desktop computers, find me a tablet with a 12 core CPU @ 5GHz, 8GB RAM and a dual core GPU @ 1GHz with 4GB of vRAM.
    Those people are the minority in the PC world so they are insignificant. Tablets will clearly progress and become independent of a host PC so they will outsell PCs at some point for the majority of PC buyers. Tablets are undoubtedly the future from here on out.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Could've guessed that

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix81 View Post
    wifi iPad does not technically every have to be hooked to a computer.
    Yes it does. Go buy an iPad and see if it'll let you use it without first activating it with iTunes.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    You need a computer to use an iPad so why would more people buying iPad's meen less people buying computers?

People will always use desktop computers, find me a tablet with a 12 core CPU @ 5GHz, 8GB RAM and a dual core GPU @ 1GHz with 4GB of vRAM.
    because you can use more than one idevice on a singe computer so you only really need one computer for more than one iPad/iPhone/etc...

I have an ipod mini, 2 iPhone 3G's, and an iPhone 4 setup on my computer alone. Plus I plan to get an iPad.

My wife and I could probably get away with a desktop computer in the house and two ipads for what we do. Have one iTunes account that we both use. Each idevice can have different settings and different items on them.

I think that is how we are going to steer our stuff at home since right now we have 2 laptops but do not really use them much. Mostly use our iPhone 4's. Only really use the laptops for more intense stuff like syncing and MS Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    Yea honestly, tablets are NOT computers! When you need a computer to sync to a tablet right there that tells you it's not! When a tablet has all the ports and drives that my 1080p notebook has, then and only then will it be a computer! For now, it's nothing more then a gimmick that Steve Jobs has made the majority of you all think you need. I admit he plays the public well but...

Also no flash? LOL!!! That's like half of the web right here missing from the iPad, it's amazing how many people buy this thing.
    It's also amazing how I can get away without having much access to Flash on my iphone 4, which is what I use the most of all the computing devices in my house. There are apps that play flash video and the rest of the stuff is in HTML5. There isn't much that I feel like I am missing on my non-flash device.

However, I take your meaning and agree that it would be nice to be able to choose to use flash or not. Have a toggle or something. Turn it on if I need it. Leave it off for the rest of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    My god, I've seen so many intelligent people so grossly miss the point. These projections at no point are meant to say people will no longer have desktop computers.

What they are saying is that, instead of getting a new desktop every 2 years, the average consumer might stretch that out to every 4-5, and get a shiny new tablet in the interim. It could also mean that a household, like mine, might go from (2 desktops and 2 laptops) to (1 desktop, a laptop and 2 tablets) or any other possible configuration that would entail less frequent purchase of a new PC.

Another factor is that tablets aren't currently upgradable (while PCs and to a lesser degree laptops are). My desktop can be upgraded bits here and there to help stretch out it's lifespan, while if I wanna stay on top of my tablets, probably no more than every other year is going to be reasonable. Updating my iPad and iPhone every year or two is going to cut into my throw away money and thus my desktop (and laptop) are the likely areas that will suffer from this reallocation of funds.

I'm not throwing them away because I've got iPads in my house, but they are going to be replaced far less frequently, which, is really all this article is saying.
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!

That is exactly what I think too. In fact I was just considering this as well. Currently we have 2 laptops (wife's and mine), 2 iPhone 4s, external HDD, and soon to have atleast 1 iPad 2 in the house. For what I use a laptop for, I could get away with an iPad IMO. I use it for email, small amounts of word processing and excel type spreadsheets, music, videos, surfing the internet, etc... No real gaming.

Now granted I do not buy high end laptops, I used to and just don't see the point anymore for my needs. I usually won't spend more than $400 for laptop. The one I have now is a Lenova G530 with dual processors (2.16 Ghz and 2.17 Ghz), 2Gb of RAM, 140Gb HDD. It gets me by. Does what I need it to. If I want to game I use my Xbox 360.

I will probably see about transitioning to a decent desktop that I can upgrade if nessessary, and get myself an iPad 2 64Gb and my wife eventually a iPad 2 16Gb (she doesn't use a lot of multimedia stuff like videos and barely uses the 16Gb in her iPhone 4). Or wait until the iPad 3 comes out and then give her the iPad 2.

I would like to transition eventually to one Desktop, two iPads 3G+wifi (or whatever cellular version we are on by then) and then probably a dumb phone for my wife and I (since I don't see much point in having an iPhone and an iPad). Some do and that is fine. yes an iPhone is smaller and easier to carry though. So you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by NDM View Post

And that is valid. Each individual's needs will have to be examined and then purchase the product that is best for those needs.

It is like buying a top of the line gaming machine for a grandmother who just wants to be able to send an email to her grand kids or see pictures emailed to her.

You purchase the product that is best suited to the needs of the customer.
    Last edited by scottw03; 03-17-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The world's about to expire in 2012 so how the hell will apple be able to master the tablet market ?

Quote Originally Posted by amazad View Post
    The world's about to expire in 2012 so how the hell will apple be able to master the tablet market ?
    Apple is pretty much already the master of the tablet market/world.....

iPad 2: The analysts weigh in - updated - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    "Oppenheimer's Yair Reiner:....We continue to see Apple grabbing 75-85% of the tablet market in 2011."

"BMO's Keith Bachman: We note that the original iPad sold 1 million units in approximately 1 month of shipment (US only) and 2 million units in less than 2 months."

I can't find it now but I read that they sold 500,000 to 1 million iPad 2s in the first weekend (U.S. launch only).

Can't find a number of how many Xooms have been sold soooooo.....................

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

I tried out the iPad 2 and the XOOM at my local bestbuy and I'll be buying the XOOM when the wifi-only version is released. The iPad 2 feels too much like an original iPad.

to each their own.

iPhone? More like MyPhone phoenix81's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    Yes it does. Go buy an iPad and see if it'll let you use it without first activating it with iTunes.
    Then I guess I stand corrected.

My lady's iPhone has yet to be hooked up to the computer and as far as I know she hasn't needed to for anything to work properly. I assumed a wifi iPad would be the same.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats what I meant, just my opinion, but I do agree Apple will own the tablet market. I just really like the way the XOOM felt, Honeycomb is definitely a big improvement to android. I will also be buying an iPhone 5 when its released, hopefully with 4G.

Let me ask you this, If iPad had a "windows compatibility mode"
    where certain programs and diagnostic stuff could be run from it how much would that impact you as an IT person... Would your statement change at all.. I am only curious. Hell I dont even have an iPad. lol

I know for my job "Service tech" that needs a pc for certain things above and beyond email and such. I would never touch my laptop if i had a compatibility mode, or someone could rewrite the programs i need into apps.. and they are very simple programs. Hell it would make my whole day tens times easier.

Also, short of program creation, or art intensive things what cant you do on the iPad.. It seems most things "could" be done. People just haven"t done some of it yet...

Once again, not trying to fight with anyone.... Just constructive conversation...
    Well, im not opposed to any new apps / technology that will be implemented with future iPad app development. i would certainly try it out with out thinking twice ( obviously not something critical like my servers or data sans)

But non the less if its a new tool that will make my life easier, its worth looking into.
    if at some point in time it became an invaluable tool then yes the iPad would jump to first place in my upgrade list

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

My lady's iPhone has yet to be hooked up to the computer and as far as I know she hasn't needed to for anything to work properly. I assumed a wifi iPad would be the same.
    Your girl's iPhone was probably activated in the store then because all iOS devices need to be activated with a computer before you can use them.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

They may have done something at the store with the iPhone because I know when I walked out of AT&T with my iPhone 4 it was working. I didn't have to sync it until I got home. Now if they get a 3G iPad they may have it activated before they leave the store, like my phone, and then won't have to sync to a computer unless they want to put their stuff on it.

Just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    The iPad 2 feels too much like an original iPad.

What exactly were you expecting?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    People talk a lot about how an iPad could never replace their computer needs. What you fail to consider is that your computer needs are probably not typical. Face it, if you're posting to this site you're probably pretty nerdy and not an average user. Most people only need computers for a few basic things. Surfing the internet, e-mail, and sorting their pictures. The iPad does all that with style and more. F*#& Flash!

so previous article says ipad production slowed or haulted..then this one say top pad manufacturer will be apple. What the hell ever. These writers need to have meetings to get on the same page sometimes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12