+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 Benchmarked

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Performance benchmarks run on the iPad 2 underscore what new tablet owners have seen for themselves: Apple wasn't exaggerating when they claimed that the second-generation tablet device is twice as
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad 2 Benchmarked

Performance benchmarks run on the iPad 2 underscore what new tablet owners have seen for themselves: Apple wasn't exaggerating when they claimed that the second-generation tablet device is twice as fast is its predecessor. Tests done using common performance tools have shown improvement across the board, with floating point operations many times faster than the original iPad. While we won't know for sure until someone takes a saw to the chip, the results indicate that the A5 is packing dual Cortex-A9s.

Apple never reveals what's inside its devices, and doesn't publish many specs on performance. This is purely a marketing gambit: Apple's competitors - as well as repair shops and technically adept users - promptly tear apart every device as soon as it's released. With the custom Apple system-on-a-chip (SoC) introduced with the iPhone 4, teardowns have gotten more complex. However, using performance testing software, it's possible to identify what's on the hood with a fair degree of certainty.

Engadget used Geekbench to benchmark the review iPad 2 they got before it was released, and found that it had 512 MB of RAM a dual-core CPU clocked at 800 MHz. The Geekbench result of 721 was almost twice the original iPad's 375. And Anand Shimpi and his crew at AnandTech have done the most exhaustive benchmarking yet, getting detailed results from Geekbench, Linpack, JavaScript and browser speed tests. The floating point unit on the iPad 2 has 400% better performance than the original iPad, and integer calculations are closer to twice as fast. Memory bandwidth is also much improved, and the increased power shows up in both single- and multi-threaded tasks. Based on the results, Shimpi along with other observers is concluding that the heart of the A5 is a pair of Cortex-A9 cores and a dual-core PowerVR SGX545MP2 graphics coprocessor.

What this means in the real world is that the iPad 2 gives much faster, smoother performance than the original, and that there's that much more horsepower to do things - like advanced graphics manipulation and video - that haven't even been tried on the iPad yet. It's worth remembering that the Geekbench score is referenced against a Power Mac G5 @ 1.6GHz, which gets 1000 on their combined test. The iPad 2's score of 721 puts it on a par with desktop computers like a 2005 PowerMac G4. Pretty impressive for a $500 device without a keyboard.

Source: AnandTech

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

iphonerik13 (03-12-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel it baby!!! This is awesome

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice!

Thanks

Yea it's nice
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

I thought it was dual core 1 ghz, not dual 800 MHz
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

7. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (03-14-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yeah!! what's up with this 800mhz crap, Apple themselves revealed that the processors ran at 1ghz.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    yeah!! what's up with this 800mhz crap, Apple themselves revealed that the processors ran at 1ghz.
    Once again Apple intentionally leaves out the fine print. The processor is capable of running at 1ghz, but Apple probably intentionally underclocked it to achieve that 10 hour battery life.

Thanks

I guess the resale value on 2005 G4s just dropped a little.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice indeed!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Lmao people thought 2 a8s lol apple doesn't let me down

Thanks

Love this thing!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I want mine now, damn apple gave me a 2-3 week delivery.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I thought it was dual core 1 ghz, not dual 800 MHz
    Even iPhone 4 is 800Mhz but Apple say 1Ghz, some hackers clocked the i4 speed to 1000mhz and it was a battery drain. So thats why when scrolling I get checkerboards in Safari but not on Android phones :/

No surprise its 800Mhz Dual Core like i4 is 800Mhz.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post

Performance benchmarks run on the iPad 2 underscore what new tablet owners have seen for themselves: Apple wasn't exaggerating when they claimed that the second-generation tablet device is twice as fast is its predecessor. Tests done using common performance tools have shown improvement across the board, with floating point operations many times faster than the original iPad. While we won't know for sure until someone takes a saw to the chip, the results indicate that the A5 is packing dual Cortex-A9s.

Apple never reveals what's inside its devices, and doesn't publish many specs on performance. This is purely a marketing gambit: Apple's competitors - as well as repair shops and technically adept users - promptly tear apart every device as soon as it's released. With the custom Apple system-on-a-chip (SoC) introduced with the iPhone 4, teardowns have gotten more complex. However, using performance testing software, it's possible to identify what's on the hood with a fair degree of certainty.

Engadget used Geekbench to benchmark the review iPad 2 they got before it was released, and found that it had 512 MB of RAM a dual-core CPU clocked at 800 MHz. The Geekbench result of 721 was almost twice the original iPad's 375. And Anand Shimpi and his crew at AnandTech have done the most exhaustive benchmarking yet, getting detailed results from Geekbench, Linpack, JavaScript and browser speed tests. The floating point unit on the iPad 2 has 400% better performance than the original iPad, and integer calculations are closer to twice as fast. Memory bandwidth is also much improved, and the increased power shows up in both single- and multi-threaded tasks. Based on the results, Shimpi along with other observers is concluding that the heart of the A5 is a pair of Cortex-A9 cores and a dual-core PowerVR SGX545MP2 graphics coprocessor.

What this means in the real world is that the iPad 2 gives much faster, smoother performance than the original, and that there's that much more horsepower to do things - like advanced graphics manipulation and video - that haven't even been tried on the iPad yet. It's worth remembering that the Geekbench score is referenced against a Power Mac G5 @ 1.6GHz, which gets 1000 on their combined test. The iPad 2's score of 721 puts it on a par with desktop computers like a 2005 PowerMac G4. Pretty impressive for a $500 device without a keyboard.

Source: AnandTech
    So it still doesn't exactly run at 1GHz? That's disappointing but I'll probably buy it anyway.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    Well Apple said the same thing of iPhone 4.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Even iPhone 4 is 800Mhz but Apple say 1Ghz, some hackers clocked the i4 speed to 1000mhz and it was a battery drain. So thats why when scrolling I get checkerboards in Safari but not on Android phones :/

No surprise its 800Mhz Dual Core like i4 is 800Mhz.
    Yeap.

Thanks

what and where can i get the benchmark application they are using?
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1066377445.png

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sknet View Post
    I was thinking the same thing !!!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sknet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    I was thinking the same thing !!!
    Geekbench 2 for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store $0.99

Gauge Mathematical Tool for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store Free

BenchTest for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store $0.99

SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark (web-based test)

V8 Benchmark Suite Revisions (web-based test)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Razz (03-12-2011)

Thanks

thanks man...
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1066377445.png