+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple 'Bleeds' 20% of its Tablet Market Share in 4th Quarter

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
On Thursday, research firm IDC published the latest findings from its worldwide tablet shipment research. And the results reflect a substantial loss of market share for Apple's iPad during the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple 'Bleeds' 20% of its Tablet Market Share in 4th Quarter

On Thursday, research firm IDC published the latest findings from its worldwide tablet shipment research. And the results reflect a substantial loss of market share for Apple's iPad during the 4th quarter. Although some reports make it sound as though Apple is "bleeding" market share, it's important to point out that the iPad was largely the only marketable tablet in existence for a massive portion of 2010. With a full slate of competitors and iPad knock-offs now available, the dip in market share doesn't really come as much of a surprise to anyone - including the folks at Apple.

"Strong holiday sales of media tablets were in line with IDC projections and strong consumer interest in the category while device vendors scrambled to offer products competitive with Apple's iPad and now iPad 2," said Loren Loverde, vice president, Consumer Device Trackers. "Media Tablets are on pace to reach shipments of roughly 50 million units in 2011."

During the fourth quarter of 2010, Apple's share of the tablet market was 73%. During the third quarter, however, it was 93%. IDC primarily blames the Samsung Galaxy Tab for eating into Apple's market share, as the Galaxy Tab captured a not-too-shabby 17% of shipments in the fourth quarter. Despite the over-dramatized response to Apple's decreased market share, it should be noted that the iPad retained a commanding 83% market share for all of 2010.

Source: IDC

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I am sure they will "gush" even more when more company join the tablet market.

Green Apple
    Thanks

**** the samsung GAYlaxy Tab!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Only because cheap windows users are gobling up the competitions inferior products just so they can say they have a tablet. Cheap bastards wouldn't know a quality user experience if it bit them in the arse. Why else would anyone settle for the god awful android interface.
    Last edited by jbardi; 03-10-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Messed up

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jbardi For This Useful Post:

rickinsav (03-10-2011)

Thanks

That's apple for ya

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

It only makes sense that when the market gets flooded with other devices that Apple will lose a bit of sales. This will happen more now with the Xoom on the market and the Playbook coming out soon. I welcome competition because it keeps pushing the bar for quality and innovation.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

blwallace5 (03-10-2011), Gustavo Saliola (03-10-2011), Snozberries (03-11-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think it's pretty important to point out that the market share here is based on "shippped" units, not sold through or to actual users. Using these metrics, Apple's market share for tablets will be take a pretty big hit in the next 6 months as pretty much every major computing and electronics manufacturer releases their "own" version of a tablet and ships them to anyone who's willing to carry it. The more important question is how many of these tablets are actually in hands of consumers / users.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Only because cheap windows users are gobling up the competitions inferior products just so they can say they have a tablet. Cheap bastards wouldn't know a quality user experience if it bit them in the arse. Why else would anyone settle for the god awful android interface.
    Typical CrAPPLE fanboy response. Grow a pair.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Competition is a good thing for us I saw the new GTab commercial that Samsung put out, man is it crappy lol! Two ppl were showing how they can use video chat on the tablet to talk to each other from different places, it was really cheesy. They really need to advertise better.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IXAdamOwnzXI View Post
    Typical CrAPPLE fanboy response. Grow a pair.
    CrApple? Interesting Telling someone to "grow a pair" is pretty childish..unless you're in grade 2 I guess. He made a good point, a lot of people will by any old tablet just because it's the newest craze. The same can be true for any piece of electronics. If people were a little more well informed, they would not settle for inferior gadgets. Anyways, all this to say use your logic to fight your battles homeboy. Home home homeboy!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

20% market share in 1 quarter is a pretty significant number, and it will only get bigger.
    You can always customize or dumb down a Win7 machine to create "quality user experience", but iOS you still can not install programs like Excel etc
    I love how fanboys like to put "cheap" to a more powerful machine simply because it is more cost effective, even call them inferior.
    Have you ever thought about how much you bend over to take Jobs jabs from behind for overprice machines yet you love him for it, doesn't that make you cheap? Best example is you can make a more powerful hackintosh for less than what Apple sells it for, that shows you how much Apple is shoving up your "arse".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

Dukerdink (03-10-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    It only makes sense that when the market gets flooded with other devices that Apple will lose a bit of sales. This will happen more now with the Xoom on the market and the Playbook coming out soon. I welcome competition because it keeps pushing the bar for quality and innovation.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    20% market share in 1 quarter is a pretty significant number, and it will only get bigger.
    You can always customize or dumb down a Win7 machine to create "quality user experience", but iOS you still can not install programs like Excel etc
    I love how fanboys like to put "cheap" to a more powerful machine simply because it is more cost effective, even call them inferior.
    Have you ever thought about how much you bend over to take Jobs jabs from behind for overprice machines yet you love him for it, doesn't that make you cheap? Best example is you can make a more powerful hackintosh for less than what Apple sells it for, that shows you how much Apple is shoving up your "arse".
    No you can't. As the owner of a hackintosh, I can tell you how stupidly wrong your are. Just because you can run OS X, doesn't mean you get the same experience. It is a pain in the *** to get things to work correctly, and the most important part of OS X, the gestures, will never work the same, ever. Go troll somewhere else.
    Last edited by blwallace5; 03-10-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
    This

No you can't. As the owner of a hackintosh, I can tell you how stupidly wrong your are. Just because you can run OS X, doesn't mean you get the same experience. It is a pain in the *** to get things to work correctly, and the most important part of OS X, the gestures, will never work the same, ever. Go troll somewhere else.
    I had to jump in on this because I too have a hackintosh and it works flawlessly all depends on the components u used to build....

Back on topic, as stated of course apple was going to loose market share when every Tom, ****, and Harry started spitting them out and also as stated some consumers are buying the low end stuff just to make the claim that they too have a tab as it's the latest craze/fad.

Banned
    Thanks

cheap windows users? why? because we wont pay $2,000 for a laptop that comes with software to enable it to run windows software?

inferior products? like when apple announces a "next gen" device 6 months after their last? like when apple intentionally withholds features from their devices so they can inflate their sales? like when apple was the first to market the personal computer but now Microsoft owns 90% of the worldwide market?

quality experience? like having apple tell us how to use OUR devices? like not having control over our own content? like not being able sync to another computer without loosing your photos and play lists? like have to Jailbreak your phone just to gain basic functions that the phone should have had in the first place?

quality experience like buying a device that was designed (intentionally) to be obsolete in 6 months?

I guess you dont know that Samsung makes 60% of all parts in apple's computers.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
    Just because you can not build one correctly does not mean they all are like that, I built one and it is working great. I personally am not using it, it is built for others and I have yet to get a complaint from them.
    Just so you know I am tech for my company, we normally buys computer systems so money is really not a problem. I have 6 core setup running on 2 Dell 30" IPS monitor costing $1500 each, recently bought a 8 core one to evaluate. I built the hackintosh for fun, and it is running extremely well. I have yet to have someone report problem since I built it, but the 6 core and 8 core machine I had to fix already.
    Considering I built it using retail price parts, for Apple they can get parts a lot cheaper because they get straight from manufacturer at bulk discount. Yet they somehow can get away with selling it at much higher price than what I spent buying retail...
    Before calling out others might want to figure out what you are doing wrong.
    Last edited by unison999; 03-10-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks

Just because you can not build one correctly does not mean they all are like that, I built one and it is working great. I personally am not using it, it is built for others and I have yet to get a complaint from them.
    I am doing nothing wrong. When the hardware isn't there it isn't there. Nice try though. Nobody makes a trackpad like Apple. If you haven't figured it out yet I am talking about laptops, not desktops.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Very misleading article. Market share with shipment and market sales are a huge difference. A company often boosts pre wye market shipments per stock supplies to meet projected market expected sales. If you look at samsungs and apl's 4th qtr financial statement you will the diff. Another argument is I can ship 1million pieces of dukie, but....it doesn't mean anyone will buy it. Bottom line is market shipment doesn't give a true picture of market sales or consumer pref...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    cheap windows users? why? because we wont pay $2,000 for a laptop that comes with software to enable it to run windows software?

inferior products? like when apple announces a "next gen" device 6 months after their last? like when apple intentionally withholds features from their devices so they can inflate their sales? like when apple was the first to market the personal computer but now Microsoft owns 90% of the worldwide market?

quality experience? like having apple tell us how to use OUR devices? like not having control over our own content? like not being able sync to another computer without loosing your photos and play lists? like have to Jailbreak your phone just to gain basic functions that the phone should have had in the first place?

quality experience like buying a device that was designed (intentionally) to be obsolete in 6 months?

As an iDevice fan myself it breaks my heart to admit it but you have a really good point. You shouldn't have to jailbreak your well expensive device in order to enable basic functions like sending a text message to a group of people. Still like my iThings though..... It's like buying an Alpha Romeo: you know it is not the best value for money but there is just something about it...

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I own the Xoom and I am here to tell you that Apple has a lot to learn from it as far as user experience goes. Things I jailbreak for now with the iPad's, iPhones, and itouches in my family are not only stock, but superior. You talk about interfaces? That is really all based on opinion. I run snow leopard even through I find the interface pretty ugly. Does that make it inferior? No. Stop into a Verizon store and check out Honeycomb. I wasn't interested in Android until I saw it. Tablets like these are going to make Apple step up to the plate more so it's a win/win for everyone. And yes, I am about to purchase an iPad 2. I hold no blind loyalties to company logos.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Just so you know I am tech for my company, we normally buys computer systems so money is really not a problem. I have 6 core setup running on 2 Dell 30" IPS monitor costing $1500 each, recently bought a 8 core one to evaluate. I built the hackintosh for fun, and it is running extremely well. I have yet to have someone report problem since I built it, but the 6 core and 8 core machine I had to fix already.
    Considering I built it using retail price parts, for Apple they can get parts a lot cheaper because they get straight from manufacturer at bulk discount. Yet they somehow can get away with selling it at much higher price than what I spent buying retail...
    You're doing the same thing as him...which makes you no better than he is.

A lot of us choose to buy Apple at the prices they're at because that's what we like. You can say all the bad things you don't like about them but we're still going to buy what WE like. You can stick to what you like, that's your right, and we'll stick to the great products that Apple makes for us. You obviously like something from them or you wouldn't be here

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

Same as above
    Last edited by steve-z17; 03-10-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost