+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's A5: Two Cortex-A8s Under the Hood?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Yeah I can't wait for someone to tear this thing down!
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah I can't wait for someone to tear this thing down!

iPhone? More like MyPhone brbortscheller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    Yes very interesting.

Will someone please donate their iPad 2 to ifixit so they can dissect this thing and give the people the truth.
    Why don't you? You don't have an extra $499.99 laying around? Guess what: NEITHER DO ALOT OF PEOPLE!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

There is no need to donate. They buy them for marketing.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Regardless whats in it, the faster speed will be great!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Well the reviews have looked hopeful for sure.

Thanks

I can see Apple using Dual Cortex-A8s as a possibility. Didn't they have the option of dual PowerPC processors in the MacG3/4/5s when dual processor setups were mainly used in servers at the time?

If the above information is incorrect, please correct me and accept my apologies. I'm not too familiar with Apple products offered back then.
    Last edited by 4n4c0nd4; 03-09-2011 at 02:54 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

agreed on knowing the truth! lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So like the OP said, its possible that Apple's shoved a dual-core A9 in there that will run at 800MHz in its most power efficient mode -- but like krosis pointed out, a dual-core processor can be more power efficient than a single-core at the same speed if its used for a smaller amount of time to perform the same task. Couple that with, say, the ability of the processor to clock up from 800MHz to 1GHz under load (which doesn't happen often, honestly..) and some power-management tweaks under the hood and you're looking at a faster beast with similar power performance to the iPad's SoC. Apple could get away with using off-the-shelf Cortex A9's if they tweaked the system in just the right way.

Another possibility: iPad 2 runs in 1GHz dual-core mode until 20% of the battery is left, and then clocks down to 800MHz.
    Another possibility: for the most part, the dual-core processor relies strongly on a single core most of the time and lets the other core sleep except when under heavy load, giving the iPad 2 the ability to run with all the speed of the single-core we're all used to but have the opportunity to perform faster under load.

And even if it could only achieve 95% as much battery life as the single-core, I doubt Jobs would go up on stage and say 95% -- he'd say 100%. It's good PR.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    any android device < iOs Device

only reason your happy with that block of crap is what? because i know its not the Os running on it...android is ok but not EVEr getting close to any iOs....is it the ports? ur a port lover? ur gonna charge something on those ports while u charge the adam? double charging huh....thats smart...i own android devices and have to say...ANDROID is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo none user friendly and it feels bootleg after messing with an iOs device. my evo was just bought for 4G tethering...nothing more nothing less.
    I used to think the same thing about the Android OS and I hate to say this, but your Evo's OS is yesterdays news. The iPad will be blazing with this chip. It will make a huge difference in the future. Right now there isn't much demand for the chip, but with the increases in functionality that Apple keeps adding it is going to be top notch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I used to think the same thing about the Android OS and I hate to say this, but your Evo's OS is yesterdays news. The iPad will be blazing with this chip. It will make a huge difference in the future. Right now there isn't much demand for the chip, but with the increases in functionality that Apple keeps adding it is going to be top notch.
    Dude, he was sayin exactly what you said... that the Android Evo OS is not very user friendly and IS yesterday's news. Did you miss the whole beginning to his post where he said "any android device < iOs Device" That means iOS is greater than "any andoid device"...Remember the Alligator "<" eats the greater device. Nom nom <<< iOS.
    Last edited by Eagleye; 03-09-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Dude, he was sayin exactly what you said... that the Android Evo OS is not very user friendly and IS yesterday's news. Did you miss the whole beginning to his post where he said "any android device < iOs Device" That means iOS is greater than "any andoid device"...Remember the Alligator "<" eats the greater device. Nom nom <<< iOS.
    I really appreciate the math lesson lol but what I am saying is that Android has moved forward to a much better OS so he is doing himself a huge disfavor by judging Android by the Evo. I love iOS as well, but Honeycomb can not be scoffed at. I shrugged off Android until recently. I highly recommend it now.

Thanks

Hmmm A5 seems like a big graphics upgrade not speed. So basically when iOS 5 comes out it won't be that slow and have majority of the handy features

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Either waits great to get soMe speed improvements
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

Speed baby. But does this mean the price will rocket like the gas prices?
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12