Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPad 2 on Verizon: Slower, But Cheaper

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Union Square, Somerville, Mass.
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 995 Times in 401 Posts

    Default iPad 2 on Verizon: Slower, But Cheaper


    Verizon released data plan pricing for its version of the iPad 2, and AT&T announced a new plan giving users the option of being billed for their service rather than having to pre-pay. The two plans are roughly equivalent, though Verizon offers a discount for the heaviest data users. A recent study showing AT&T still with a dominant lead on download speeds, however, may give data hogs pause: Verizon users might get the bandwidth for less money, but it'll be slower.

    AT&T is still offering the two plans they rolled out with the original iPad: the Data Plus with 250MB for $14.99/mo or Data Pro with 2GB for $25. Concurrent with the iPad 2 launch, AT&T is adding a post-paid option where users pay the same amount for the two data plans, but Data Pro users get billed at $10 per gigabyte for overages. Previously, the only option was just to pay for another month of service at the same price; Data Plus users pretty much still have to do that, but they'll just get a bill rather than having to pay as they go. For the Verizon iPad 2, it's a little more straightforward. Data plans go from $20 per month for 1 GB on a sliding scale up to $80 per month for 10 GB, with overages at $10 for every gigabyte. (A good comparison chart is here.) So if you're a bandwidth beast who uses 14 GB a month, you're going to pay $175 to AT&T, but just $120 to Verizon.

    Sounds like a good deal... but as usual in this world, you don't get something for nothing. The latest comparison of AT&T and Verizon for bandwidth shows that iPhone 4s on AT&T were able to download twice as fast in five major cities as their Verizon counterparts. This backs up an earlier study by Speedtest.net that showed AT&T's HSDPA network performing, as expected, twice as well as the Verizon EV-DO Rev. A system. Of course, Verizon does have better coverage: if you can't get AT&T where you are, it doesn't matter how fast it is. So if you're weighing an AT&T versus a Verizon iPad, where you are and how much data you expect to use should be the key determinations.

    Source: AllThingsD

  2. #2
    I don't know how someone can stay under 2GB a month. If you watch 1 Netflix movie you can easily use 400MB. I'm sure you can if you only do e-mail and web browsing but not when your watching videos a lot.

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ty22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts

    TECHNICALLY AT&T is faster. Where I live, Verizon is 100x faster than AT&T because their network is so bogged down.
    Last edited by ty22; 03-07-2011 at 05:30 PM.

  4. #4
    I got a question. Where I live I don't have 3G with AT&T but Verizon has 3G in my area. I wonder which would be more beneficial for someone like myself? I have to travel an hour North or West to get AT&T 3G and that only happens once a month if I'm lucky. This is going to be my debate on which iPad 2 I'll get. I wish it was a dual chip and you could have both at the same time if you wanted. Use whichever had the best 3G coverage or regular coverage.

  5. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Patriots Area
    Posts
    796
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 75 Times in 60 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    I don't know how someone can stay under 2GB a month. If you watch 1 Netflix movie you can easily use 400MB. I'm sure you can if you only do e-mail and web browsing but not when your watching videos a lot.
    I just dont understand why would someone stream that big size movie on iPad and not over the Wifi knowing they got 2GB plan. That movie with buffering every 2 seconds would take instead of 1hr 30min, it would be 4 hrs.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to delusion950 For This Useful Post:

    vinaygoel2000 (03-07-2011)

  7. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ty22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mastaryan View Post
    I got a question. Where I live I don't have 3G with AT&T but Verizon has 3G in my area. I wonder which would be more beneficial for someone like myself? I have to travel an hour North or West to get AT&T 3G and that only happens once a month if I'm lucky. This is going to be my debate on which iPad 2 I'll get. I wish it was a dual chip and you could have both at the same time if you wanted. Use whichever had the best 3G coverage or regular coverage.
    I would go Verizon. EDGE is slower than Verizon's 3G for sure. And if you travel within the country, you'll get Verizon in many more places. Plus, Verizon has a bigger allowance

  8. #7
    Who uses 14 gigs of data a month??? I barely use any as I'm always on wifi. I'll stay grandfathered in just in case though.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    I just dont understand why would someone stream that big size movie on iPad and not over the Wifi knowing they got 2GB plan. That movie with buffering every 2 seconds would take instead of 1hr 30min, it would be 4 hrs.
    You don't always have WiFi especially when traveling. I've used mine before to watch a game on slingbox and also used netflix for the kids.

  10. #9
    Boy am I glad that we have a provider with an unlimited 3G data plan here in Holland. I mean, these days you can stream and download using 3g at around 600-700KB per second, if not more. So you can easily stream movies, but indeed, with a limited data plan it won't take long before you have to pay extra.

  11. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Haha this is funny sh1t verizon users can get the iPad for a discount to run on turtle network jus go to at&t and get what u pay for ain't that usually how things work theses days?!?

  12. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,741
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    I will just continue to use MyWi for my iPad.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    I will just continue to use MyWi for my iPad.
    With AT&T and no 3G in my area, this sucks big time!

  14. #13
    My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Patriots Area
    Posts
    796
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 75 Times in 60 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    You don't always have WiFi especially when traveling. I've used mine before to watch a game on slingbox and also used netflix for the kids.
    True there isn't WiFi always around. Is it slow streaming the movie on Netflix?

  15. #14
    If you do post-pay on AT&T the overages go down so I think AT&T & Verizon would cost the same.


    Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    TECHNICALLY AT&T is faster. Where, I live Verizon is 100x faster than AT&T because their network is so bogged down.
    If you live in Pittsburgh,PA I think you need to check that again. My speeds on AT&T and close to my friends EVO 4G (just goes to show you how bad Sprint's 4G is). Slighty slower but pretty close. I know people on verizon and they aren't close to AT&Ts speeds here.

  16. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ty22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by HImni View Post
    If you do post-pay on AT&T the overages go down so I think AT&T & Verizon would cost the same.




    If you live in Pittsburgh,PA I think you need to check that again. My speeds on AT&T and close to my friends EVO 4G (just goes to show you how bad Sprint's 4G is). Slighty slower but pretty close. I know people on verizon and they aren't close to AT&Ts speeds here.
    I haven't tested in a while, but I switched to Sprint because AT&T's speed became unusably slow when the iPhone became very popular. I waited for months and months and months and months to see if it got better and didn't. Regardless, I wouldn't switch back for a few second speed difference. I'm not giving up my coverage area for that. Oh, and Sprint's 4G, yes I know, its JUNK. So, I will be going to Verizon when the 4G LTE HTC ThunderBolt comes out.

  17. #16
    MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    626
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    i will just continue to use mywi for my ipad.
    ditto x10

  18. #17
    My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travel-Entire US as well as EU
    Posts
    599
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 115 Times in 71 Posts

    I don't like the limit, price one either plans. But... I'll choose the att iPad over verizon soley because of the dated CDMA. Perhaps I'll plug a tmo or other sim card in.

  19. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ty22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    I don't like the limit, price one either plans. But... I'll choose the att iPad over verizon soley because of the dated CDMA. Perhaps I'll plug a tmo or other sim card in.
    Well, the T-Mo will be stuck on EDGE only and Verizon's "dated" network is faster than that......

  20. #19
    Still think that's really expensive. I get 6GB for $30 in Canada on Rogers
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    TECHNICALLY AT&T is faster. Where, I live Verizon is 100x faster than AT&T because their network is so bogged down.

    100x Faster 
    Wow that is a large number

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •