+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 on Verizon: Slower, But Cheaper

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I guess if I was in an AT&T 3G faster city I could use mywi from my at&t iphone and get an iPad Verizon 3G for 3G service in my
    Thanks

I guess if I was in an AT&T 3G faster city I could use mywi from my at&t iphone and get an iPad Verizon 3G for 3G service in my area that only Verizon offers. Hmm, win win?!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 100X at least
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkizer View Post
    100x Faster 
    Wow that is a large number
    yes i would agree with 100X im in north louisiana and At&t most times is slow enough that even the google maps app will not load and time out even weather app. I get better speed when i force to edge. Im glad technically att should be faster but my verizon droid will run circles around my iphone in data. and actually make calls. does not matter what the specs say if you cant even receive calls. just waiting for att contract to end.
    Last edited by bst056981; 03-07-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling sucks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the Verizon iPhone and I have no issues running into data speeds issue. I watch Netflix without buffering, YouTube videos without waiting. I have never been disappointed with Verizon data speeds, especially when I have signal everywhere and 3G everywhere. So I see no exception for the iPad running flawless on Verizon. It's like having the fastest car in the world but if you never top it out, then it's a waste.

Thanks

These comments out how AT&T sucks or Verizon is faster are not very helpful.
    I hope you people realize that it all depends on where you live.

Kudo's to the folks that actually say where AT&T or Verizon is better.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I tethered my iPad to my DroidX so I could see how much data is actually used when doing basic tasks on the iPad. I streamed music from AudioGalaxy for about 10 minutes and used over 100 megs. Going to facebook and checking a few things was about 25 megs. WTF. How can anyoen stay under 2gb is beyond me. But then again, thats the point of it...right AT&T. You **** your users out of so much money by offering limited data. Oh, and my verizon service is faster than my AT&T used to be. At least it is in the CA central valley.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    I just dont understand why would someone stream that big size movie on iPad and not over the Wifi knowing they got 2GB plan. That movie with buffering every 2 seconds would take instead of 1hr 30min, it would be 4 hrs.
    1) Because they can.
    2) I watch Hulu with my iPhone4, tethered, all the time. Some places I have to drop to medium quality, but in most 3G areas, I can watch in High without any interruption.

The problem is, most people take their wifi for granted. Try traveling! Wait until that Hotel-fi is slower than EDGE, or that Coffee-fi costs you $20/mo. You will understand our pain then.

I rather liked the AT&T iPhone and VeriPad idea, I may do just that, because then I would never have to deal with EDGE again. JB the iPad, add MyWi, and you'd even still have talk-and-surf via iPad wifi, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brinky View Post

Exactly. For those who have equally good coverage for both carriers, that's a choice for you. A lot of people don't have a choice (or at least a very equal choice). For me it's either fast AT&T but can't get service half the time to even use my data, or full coverage with Verizon but with slower speeds but still get to use my service anywhere.

It probably comes down to that for a lot of people too.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    I don't know how someone can stay under 2GB a month. If you watch 1 Netflix movie you can easily use 400MB. I'm sure you can if you only do e-mail and web browsing but not when your watching videos a lot.
    You have to LOL! it's like rationing your food where it's scarce and waiting till the next crop season. Or you can imagine yourself in a dungeon, you're thrown a piece of bread and bowl of water... gotta make it last! LOL

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    I will just continue to use MyWi for my iPad.
    Exactly! Thats using the old noggin

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well let me help then... where I live in HAWAII AT&T sucks... only in the heavier populated areas will AT&T get the speeds these tech sites talk about, the problem is I need that speed in all areas and AT&T can't offer that. Verizon on the other hand offers me consistent speeds in 99% of the areas I travel, where I live, this I can live with. In many parts of the islands 3G is almost non existent with AT&T, so for me speeds are irrelevant. When I travel from State to State or city to city like Vegas, LA, Portland, San Fran, Boise, my sons iPhone (at&t) will drop signal while my iPhone (VZ, Droid Incredible before that) will stay connected. That seems to always be the recurring story, AT&T lacks coverage, hence lacks speed in most areas.

Just to clarify my Son is under his grandmothers account, that's why he has at&t and I have VZ, when he goes to college he will move over to my account. I just don't trust at&t. I was with them for 11 year before moving to VZ after the two outages we had in Hi, I didn't realize what I was missing.
    Last edited by Eight08; 03-08-2011 at 03:41 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

In the Texas major cities, the iPhone is a lot faster than verizon and a lot more coverage. The other smaller cities I've been too to, Att has been better for me.
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mastaryan View Post
    I got a question. Where I live I don't have 3G with AT&T but Verizon has 3G in my area. I wonder which would be more beneficial for someone like myself? I have to travel an hour North or West to get AT&T 3G and that only happens once a month if I'm lucky. This is going to be my debate on which iPad 2 I'll get. I wish it was a dual chip and you could have both at the same time if you wanted. Use whichever had the best 3G coverage or regular coverage.
    Verizon in that case. If you barely every go someplace where the AT&T coverage will benefit you then Verizon is the clear choice.

Worsecase if you go outside the country and bring the ipad with you, you will still be able to use it with WiFi. It isn't like you are going to want to get charged for 3G coverage overseas. I am sure it would be more money than you really want to pay.

I am overseas now and I have my iPhone 4 on Airplane mode and only use WiFi at the moment (I have AT&T when I am in the states). I use Skype to call back home.

While Verizon may be slower than AT&T you will have much better coverage than AT&T and that in end will make up for the speed loss. Nothing worse than having apps and the internet time out because your EDGE connection with AT&T sucks. I speak from experience. Luckily where I live just got 3G so it isn't nearly as bad. AT&T has me for another 1.5 years as a customer. After that I will re-evaluate which company I will go with.

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    I will just continue to use MyWi for my iPad.
    I want a larger picture of your avatar.
    Last edited by scottw03; 03-10-2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    I tethered my iPad to my DroidX so I could see how much data is actually used when doing basic tasks on the iPad. I streamed music from AudioGalaxy for about 10 minutes and used over 100 megs. Going to facebook and checking a few things was about 25 megs. WTF. How can anyoen stay under 2gb is beyond me.
    Those numbers seem a bit off from what they should be. 128 kbit audio streaming is only about 1 MB/minute, and they can go a lot lower. Pandora for iOS only uses 32/64 kbit for normal and high quality with nice results.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottw03 View Post
    I want a larger picture of your avatar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iPad 2 on Verizon: Slower, But Cheaper-garfield-boobs.jpg  

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12