Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: JAM by Apogee Brings Studio Quality Guitar Input to iPad, iPhone and Mac

Default JAM by Apogee Brings Studio Quality Guitar Input to iPad, iPhone and Mac

GarageBand is being released next week and with it, a whole new way of recording audio on the iPad. The iPad 2 includes the same built-in microphone as the pervious version, but recording audio with it hasn’t always produced the best sounding results. If you really want to capture high quality audio, then you have to use another device in conjunction with an iPad to do so. That’s where Apogee’s new JAM comes in. JAM is a studio quality input for iOS devices and it’s also compatible with the Mac as well.

At last Wednesday’s Apple event, you may have noticed that a guitar was plugged into an iPad 2 in the demo video that was presented. This was Apogee’s latest guitar interface, JAM. The unit includes a studio quality instrument preamp with up to 40dB of gain. It also includes a gain control knob on the side of the device for easy adjustments on the fly. This is a plug and play device so you’ll be recording in no time.

JAM has been designed with the guitarist in mind, but it should work equally well with other devices that can plug into a ¼-inch input. The device has also been optimized for use with guitar pickups and features an auto “Soft Limit” so you get the highest quality recordings every time. JAM also features a multicolor status LED where Blue indicates that the device is powered on, but not yet ready for use, Green indicates that it’s ready to record, and Red indicates the recording level is too high, or clipping.

JAM is not just limited to iOS devices, however, as it includes a USB port that can be used with a Mac’s USB port as well. This makes it more versatile than similar devices from other manufactures. JAM is small, light and can easily fit into any musician’s gear bag.

JAM differs from competitors such as IK multimedia’s iRig, by plugging into the iPad’s 30-pin connector. The iRig on the other hand, connects through the headphone jack instead. While this approach does offer the advantage of being able to power the device while it’s recording, it doesn’t offer the highest possible sound quality. JAM features what it calls, “PureDIGITAL technology” that ensures the highest possible guitar tone every time. Apogee’s JAM will be available March 31 for $99, just in time for the release of GarageBand (well almost).

Source: Apogee Electronics

Super sweet-cool
    pain & time and glory

I've been waiting for something like this to come out.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I wish I had a need for it

Love my iRig, especially the crank bench crunch effects. It is an awesome addition to my IPad. I will for sure get one of these JAM inputs, especially if apple doesn't come out with their rumored MIDI interface for the 30 pin connector. This whole GarageBand release is too cool. I am already running Moog and Korg synths and assorted drumkits. Wonder how all of this and Amplitube will interface into GarageBand, can't wait to find out!

I must admit, Apple continues to surprise

Nice for the budget user i guess. I just use my Motu UltraLite Mk3
    killall Terminal[]

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm excited to see what ppl make with the updated Garageband.

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    Nice for the budget user i guess. I just use my Motu UltraLite Mk3
    Guess you just rig up your firewire to iPad magic cable

Thread is about iPad, not Mac/PC I/O options. And BTW, at 60,000 yen, your mark of the unicorn box is considered "budget", lol at least here in Nippon

I sure wish they'd incorporate the ability for me to use my MOTU with iOS devices!
    True simultaneous multitrack recording.
    Granted, might be rather short songs if limited to recording to the iDevice's memory.
    Sure, I can just use my laptop for location recording, but how slick would it be if I could just wip out my phone or iPad...
    Being a drummer, i need more than just left/right I/O.
    Non musicians/audio engineers pry won't ever understand.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

That means i can learn how to play guitar with my ipad, wich i need to get first, and a guitar.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nautical79 View Post
    That means i can learn how to play guitar with my ipad, wich i need to get first, and a guitar.
    You can doo it! Get that freakin' iPad!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphonogasm's Avatar
    Thanks

So is this gonna be the official apple version of garageband? Is there a release date?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by xpate View Post
    Guess you just rig up your firewire to iPad magic cable

Thread is about iPad, not Mac/PC I/O options. And BTW, at 60,000 yen, your mark of the unicorn box is considered "budget", lol at least here in Nippon
    you're an idiot and make no sense. re-read. better yet i've copy pasted for your laziness.

"....JAM is a studio quality input for iOS devices and it’s also compatible with the Mac as well."
    killall Terminal[]

What about an interface so I can use one of my nice phantom powered condenser mics...that would be cool.