Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Reveals New Billing Option for iPad 2 and Other Tablets

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default AT&T Reveals New Billing Option for iPad 2 and Other Tablets

On Thursday, AT&T rolled out a new post-paid monthly data billing option for its covered tablets. In case you're wondering, yes, this includes the freshly unveiled iPad 2. The first reaction to AT&T's announcement is that the carrier seems to now have a small advantage over Verizon Wireless, which offers pre-paid only plans for tablets.

In a press release issued today, AT&T says that, effective immediately, customers can choose between AT&T’s existing prepaid billing options or the new postpaid plans. The new plans, AT&T says, can be added to customers’ existing monthly wireless statements, "offering the simplicity of a single monthly bill." But "for a limited time," customers who activate a new postpaid $25/2 GB plan will get the first month free.

Customers may choose from the following options.

* Postpaid: $14.99 for 250 MB or $25 for 2 GB. Customers on the 2 GB plan who exceed their monthly data allotment will be charged $10 per 1 GB of overage. Charges will appear on customers’ monthly wireless statements.
    * Prepaid: $14.99 for 250 MB or $25 for 2 GB. Customers on the 2 GB plan who exceed their monthly data allotment may choose to purchase an additional 2 GB for $25. Charges will appear on customers’ credit card statements.

Both options are month-to-month and do not require a long-term commitment.
    Following AT&T's announcement this afternoon, Verizon representatives went on record to confirm that data charges for the iPad 2 will remain identical to those the carrier charges for other tablets. Verizon also says it will stick with its pre-paid requirement. Verizon presently has four data pricing tiers for tablets, compared with AT&T's two.

Source: AT&T
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 03-04-2011 at 11:05 AM.

I like it can't wait for the 11 for my iPad 2,, I like that free month.......hey if I get the iPad 2 wifi and I got Tom Tom navigation system I will work if I used mywi from my iPhone 4
    pain & time and glory

Green Apple
    Thanks

If I had the iPad I would use over 2 gigs
    Apple needs to add flash to the iphone!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I wonder if I could get them to do this for my CR48

Still no word on pricing for the wifi HotSpot feature? I currently use a Virgin Mobile mifi device. It's $50 a month for unlimited data. I'm currenlt grandfathered in to AT&T's unlimited iPhone data and will not lose that to use the HotSpot feature.

Anyone know any news on this?

Whats the point of the postpaid plan it doesn't discount the ipad2 you still pay full price.. a free month is not worth getting locked into a contract IMO..

Nevermind ignore my above comment lol
    Last edited by Oooshaa; 03-03-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

None of those plans convince me I'll stick with the wifi iPad only plus I have mywi

ATT releases another useless option on their existing data plan. BFD.

iPads demand unlimited data....2 gigs will go fast as the new features are put into play.

Greedy AT&T!

I cant ******* wait!!!!!!

Anyone who has an iphone and pays for a data plan for their ipad is either stupid or uninformed, which also makes them stupid. With MyWi on a jailbroken iPhone 4 and my iPad, I'm doing everything everywhere. I am NEVER too far away from a power source for a quick power-up to the batteries, and both get excellent battery life anyway. I am grandfathered in at unlimited so I am in heaven.

btw, being afraid to jailbreak or not wanting to "void my warrenty" also makes you an idiot for reasons I shouldn't have to explain.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jbardi For This Useful Post:

DapperDon30 (03-03-2011)

Does the I pad still cost retail if purchased through a AT%T retail store?

does any one know if the ipad 2 sim is lock only to AT&T, or can you still use it with any other sim card?

iPhone? More like MyPhone clikzip's Avatar
    Thanks

kind of pointless to add a postpaid option. If they offered a discount for the ipad if you signed a contract that could be interesting. But just adding your $25 a month to your bill rather than prepaying it isnt really that much of an improvement.
    Add me up on xbox live gamertag clikzip.

Postpaid seems ok it's 25 a month for the 2gig which sucks but I guess at least you save 5-15 dollars depending on over use. Plus postpaid doesn't say lock into a contract.

"Like the prepaid plans, the new postpaid option doesn't require a contract or term limit. "
    Last edited by jordbrett; 03-03-2011 at 03:56 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd go with postpaid just because 1Gb is $10. But i like the other option of purchasing another 2Gb for $25 good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    I'd go with postpaid just because 1Gb is $10. But i like the other option of purchasing another 2Gb for $25 good idea.
    Postpaid 2 gb is $20 extra.

Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post
    Still no word on pricing for the wifi HotSpot feature? I currently use a Virgin Mobile mifi device. It's $50 a month for unlimited data. I'm currenlt grandfathered in to AT&T's unlimited iPhone data and will not lose that to use the HotSpot feature.

Anyone know any news on this?
    Called MyWi!!!

What about grandfathered in iPad users like myself that have the 29.99 a month unlimited , will AT&T let you upgrade to iPad 2 n keep unlimited ? ( just like when I upgrade on iPhones they let me keep the unlimited !) hum anyone asked AT&T ?

I'd rather have a contract & two-year agreement if I'm buying a devices which I'll be paying for data on no matter what.. Subsidize it, don't charge an extra $130 for the hardware

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast