+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Reveals New Billing Option for iPad 2 and Other Tablets

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by jbardi Anyone who has an iphone and pays for a data plan for their ipad is either stupid or uninformed, which also makes them stupid. With MyWi
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbardi View Post
    Anyone who has an iphone and pays for a data plan for their ipad is either stupid or uninformed, which also makes them stupid. With MyWi on a jailbroken iPhone 4 and my iPad, I'm doing everything everywhere. I am NEVER too far away from a power source for a quick power-up to the batteries, and both get excellent battery life anyway. I am grandfathered in at unlimited so I am in heaven.

btw, being afraid to jailbreak or not wanting to "void my warrenty" also makes you an idiot for reasons I shouldn't have to explain.
    Stupid: To ignore that which is fact intentionally; also see "stubborn"

Ignorant: Not knowing something.

*******. I don't think 90% of the country would like to be referred to as "idiots".

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trialnterror View Post
    What about grandfathered in iPad users like myself that have the 29.99 a month unlimited , will AT&T let you upgrade to iPad 2 n keep unlimited ? ( just like when I upgrade on iPhones they let me keep the unlimited !) hum anyone asked AT&T ?
    As is, you should just be able to swap the SIM to keep the unlimited plan on the new iPad. I'm pretty sure as long as the IMEI given to billing system (for example when you log in to the data plan site on your iPad) is an iPad IMEI, you should be fine.

I think this might be a good thing for those without an iPhone & want to add an iPad while simply keeping it under one bill rather than two (or more). Plus, some people get good FAN or other corporate discounts and adding the iPad plan to postpaid could qualify it for service discounts there.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

Brr (03-03-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post
    Still no word on pricing for the wifi HotSpot feature? I currently use a Virgin Mobile mifi device. It's $50 a month for unlimited data. I'm currenlt grandfathered in to AT&T's unlimited iPhone data and will not lose that to use the HotSpot feature.

Anyone know any news on this?
    Read today that ATT will support HotSpot when 4.3 drops. Pricing is 45$ for phone data and tether data for total of 4 gigs.

Brr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    As is, you should just be able to swap the SIM to keep the unlimited plan on the new iPad. I'm pretty sure as long as the IMEI given to billing system (for example when you log in to the data plan site on your iPad) is an iPad IMEI, you should be fine.

I think this might be a good thing for those without an iPhone & want to add an iPad while simply keeping it under one bill rather than two (or more). Plus, some people get good FAN or other corporate discounts and adding the iPad plan to postpaid could qualify it for service discounts there.
    Wrong. The unlimited plan is not transferrable so when AT&T sees the imei change they'll cancel it. I just checked with AT&T to make sure and was told this.

I wonder if this is happening to all those buying the unlimited sim cards on eBay for $300(?)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Cannot wait to get one of those bad boys in my hand!

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    does any one know if the ipad 2 sim is lock only to AT&T, or can you still use it with any other sim card?
    They are factory unlocked so you can use a T-Mobile SIM but you will only get EDGE speeds on T-Mobile. A big failure on apples end in my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    They are factory unlocked so you can use a T-Mobile SIM but you will only get EDGE speeds on T-Mobile. A big failure on apples end in my opinion.
    How is it Apple's fault that T-Mobile USA uses different 3G frequencies than the rest of the world, even T-Mobile in UK.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow you yanks don't half get screwed by your mobile/Internet providers. Here in the uk we have TRUELY unlimited Internet (all you can eat) 2000 any network anytime minutes, 3000 3to3 minutes and 3000 texts a month for only 25! and whats more we can tether the shizz out of our Internet use! At no extra cost! I really do feel sorry for you guys {in a slightly smug sort of way}

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brr View Post
    Wrong. The unlimited plan is not transferrable so when AT&T sees the imei change they'll cancel it. I just checked with AT&T to make sure and was told this.

I wonder if this is happening to all those buying the unlimited sim cards on eBay for $300(?)
    You are wrong. When I bought my first iPad the person I bought it from had the unlimited plan on it and we transferred the account to my name. I kept the SIM card but sold the iPad to get a 64GB iPad and used it in there. Well I ended up selling my 64GB and the person I sold it to we transferred it to their name and they are still using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    How is it Apple's fault that T-Mobile USA uses different 3G frequencies than the rest of the world, even T-Mobile in UK.
    They could have added the support for AWS and by doing so they would gain even more customers. The internal data card I have supports both AT&T 3G and T-Mobile 3G so I know it's possible. I didn't think they would and since they didn't I'm more than likely going to get the LG G-Slate just for that reason. I guess I could get the WiFi only model and use MyWi from my iPhone 4 but I don't always have my personal phone with me since I use my work phone more.
    Last edited by GrandMstrBud; 03-04-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

IT'S Nice BUT....Since I have My iPhone J/B I can Use PDA Net n get free hot spot for my iPad. BTW..will there be a Jailbreak for the 4.3 when it comes out?
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yes. If you have the 29.99 unlimited plan you can buy the iPad 2 and keep that plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Brr View Post

Not true. AT&T WILL allow you to keep your unlimited pre paid plan.
    Last edited by akosko01; 03-04-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Brr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akosko01 View Post
    Yes. If you have the 29.99 unlimited plan you can buy the iPad 2 and keep that plan.

Not true. AT&T WILL allow you to keep your unlimited pre paid plan.
    I'll check with AT&T again to make sure.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Still though the plan sucks for only 2 gigs , they need to bring back unlimited I use about 30 gigs a month on my iphone.... Thankfully i have unlimited data

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I just got off the phone and talked to AT&T and at first they did not have any information as far as if you bought the iPad 2 you would be able to keep you unlimited data plan... the gentlemen I talked to said that you will be able to keep your unlimited plan.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

Brr (03-04-2011)

Brr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I just got off the phone and talked to AT&T and at first they did not have any information as far as if you bought the iPad 2 you would be able to keep you unlimited data plan... the gentlemen I talked to said that you will be able to keep your unlimited plan.
    Ok. True. I just got off the phone with AT&T (again) and this time it is confirmed that the current unlimited plan will indeed transfer to the new iPad. I could log into AT&T.com/iPadlanding and adjust the new imei and something else on that site or I could also call it in and they can do it manually.

Great! Looks like I'll be getting a new iPad after all!
    Last edited by Brr; 03-04-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks

Still not enough I say 15$ 2GB
    25$4GB with data rollovers

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

i still have unlimited plan and mywi, ill just stick with the wifi version
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12