Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 Supports HDMI via Adapter, Also Works with iPhone 4

Default iPad 2 Supports HDMI via Adapter, Also Works with iPhone 4

Apple currently only has one product that includes an HDMI port and that is the Mac mini. With today’s announcement of the iPad 2, however, Apple is finally bringing HDMI to iOS by way of an adapter. This is great news for anyone who’s ever wanted to watch a movie or do a presentation on a larger screen.

Using Apple’s Digital AV Adapter with an iPad 2, you can now watch movies on your HDTV in all their high definition glory. The iPad 2 now supports video mirroring so everything you do can be shown on an HDTV or HD projector. This will be great for teachers in the classroom and for people who give presentations. The iPad 2 also supports full 1080p so videos will look great wherever you display them.

The new Digital AV Adapter plugs into the iPad’s 30-pin connector at one end and at the other end it has an HDMI port and another 30-pin connector. This gives you the freedom to charge your iPad while using it. This is a great feature to have because no one wants to run out of power mid-way through a presentation. The Digital AV Adapter is also compatible with the iPhone 4 and the fourth generation iPod Touch. It’s currently unclear if the iPhone and iPod Touch will support video mirroring, but you will be able to output video nonetheless.

Many were hoping that Apple would include a dedicated HDMI port with the iPad 2. Apple may not have included it on the latest model, but they did manage to incorporate it in another way that will work for most people. With so much focus on the size and weight of the iPad 2, it makes sense that Apple would not include a built-in HDMI port, instead opting for the cable rout. If you have an Apple TV this may not be such a big deal to you, but if you ever have to give a presentation, then the Digital AV cable might be a real lifesaver.

Source: Apple

I read about this on there website yesterday. Sounds good and all but yeah I already have an apple Tv 2G so I can just do the whole airplay feature that way. But still never know when the cable might come in handy.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

So buying one of these, whats the UK Price? Also I read that it works with the 3GS aswell
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    I read about this on there website yesterday. Sounds good and all but yeah I already have an apple Tv 2G so I can just do the whole airplay feature that way. But still never know when the cable might come in handy.
    problem is that Airplay does not work on everything...
    also requires a wireless AP.

Apple TV also has HDMI interface, so the mini is not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    problem is that Airplay does not work on everything...
    also requires a wireless AP.
    Erica has great utilities to use with airplay not just apple tv

Thanks

first off how much does it cost? this might come in handy since my ps3 doesnt support streaming from mobilevids/nextgenvids for whatever reason. hopefully its not a crazy 50$ price tag, $20/30 sounds pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like I can use Skype and Facetime on my TV now with my iPhone stand
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

but that's on the TV that you have Apple tv connected to...what about the other tv's in the house...? are you going to buy several apple tv's for Airplay or just spend $39 and save a buck?? haha! Either way it's great technology we can all utilize :]

Finally a connector worth buying...can't wait till the 11th :]
    Last edited by bigboyz; 03-03-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So what about original iPad support?

I'm willing to bet that got cut because of memory on the iPad vs iPhone 4. That sucks.

There's one thing that no one has mentioned. Does this support video and audio via HDMI? I would love to stream Netflix or watch a h.264 movie on a TV in a hotel or at my mom's house or something.

This may be a stupid question since its an "AV" cable but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Last edited by saunupe1911; 03-03-2011 at 08:44 AM.

So... you save space on the ipad (negligible, in a device like this there is space for hdmi) but have to carry a humongous and ugly dongle... Not what I call an elegant design by any standard.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

It's so funny how the writer's on this site always cover for Apple. Everyone out there, including the writers on this site, have been wanting and asking for an HDMI and USB port on the iPad since it first came out a year ago. We all know this, but read what the writer wrote about the new HDMI adapter in this article. "With so much focus on the size and weight of the iPad 2, it makes sense that Apple would not include a built-in HDMI port, instead opting for the cable rout." He actually says "it makes sense" not to include the HDMI port. Lol! These people are hilarious! They beg and beg for ports on the iPad and when Apple doesn't deliver they actually convince themselves that it's better to pay $30 for a bulky adapter that has to be carried around with you instead of free and already installed. It's not that big of a deal but I just thought it was funny how this guy actually covers for Apple when he knows having to use an adapter sucks.

I have not seen anywhere if this new cable works for the original iPad? Anyone out there know!!
    "Once is an accident, Twice is a trend, Three times is evidence."

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

Now you can make a movie edited and watch it on any hdmi screen. this will be nice for the holiday weekends
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll be waiting in line just for this !!!!

I bet there's no chance of the HDMI connection 'mirroring' everything you do so you can watch it on a HDTV or projector - Apps are bound to start blocking the HDMI output, just like the Sky Mobile TV app does now. My bet is you will only be able to stream movies etc. that have been purchased from iTunes too, and not your own content.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-savalas View Post
    I bet there's no chance of the HDMI connection 'mirroring' everything you do so you can watch it on a HDTV or projector - Apps are bound to start blocking the HDMI output, just like the Sky Mobile TV app does now. My bet is you will only be able to stream movies etc. that have been purchased from iTunes too, and not your own content.
    you clearly don't pay attention to the keynotes Jobs states very clearly in the keynote that this will completely mirror in any app or the home screen of the iPad2.. in fact, they demo it ON a projector which looks like it's in a classroom... your statement = completely inaccurate.. revisit the keynote.. then post..

Quote Originally Posted by chstriker11 View Post
    you clearly don't pay attention to the keynotes Jobs states very clearly in the keynote that this will completely mirror in any app or the home screen of the iPad2.. in fact, they demo it ON a projector which looks like it's in a classroom... your statement = completely inaccurate.. revisit the keynote.. then post..
    OK, so picture this: I'm round at my friends house, there's 5 or 6 of us. He doesn't have the 'sports package' subscription with Sky TV. However, I do, and I have the Sky Mobile TV App on my iPad 2. So now I just plug it in to his 50" HDTV and we all watch a football match that's only available to paying customers - why don't I just take my iPad 2 to the nearest pub/bar & plug it into their TV so the whole place can watch!? I mean, are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that Apple will not allow apps to disable the video output?
    Your statement = naive ;-)

How is this going to work with the iPhone4? Mirroring or just video?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast