Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Debuts Magnetic 'Smart Covers' for iPad 2

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Debuts Magnetic 'Smart Covers' for iPad 2

Among the most buzz-worthy introductions at today's Apple event is the groundbreaking new "Smart Cover" for the iPad 2. Demonstrated on stage in conjunction with the 2nd generation iPad's big unveiling, the magnetic smart cover makes it possible for your iPad 2 to automatically "wake up" when you open the case. Correspondingly, when the case is closed, your iPad will be put to sleep. What's more, there's even a microfiber surface on the inside to keep your iPad's glass screen fresh and clean.

Smart Covers sport a bendable flap that conforms to the side of the device via the deployment of magnets, Steve Jobs says. "You can add it in a second. You can remove it in a second," he says. "You can have a bunch of them, and pick which one you feel like today and easily put it on." What Mr. Jobs is referring to, of course, is the expansive assortment of colors available for the "smart cover."

Apple announced that the covers, which also act as a stand for the tablet, will be available in polyurethane for $39 a pop or the more upscale leather variety for $69. The iPad 2 itself, as announced earlier, will begin shipping March 11th to the US and to a variety of nations beginning March 25th.

Source: Apple
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 03-02-2011 at 01:53 PM.

1 word

Daaaaamn

I mean seriously that is just simply "magically" gorgeous...
    Well done apple! On it All!

$39 a cover, OUCH! I wont have as many choices as i would want at that price.. lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

So thats all for the ipad, now when we gona heard from the new iPhone?
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

with one product apple captures the ipad cover market.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

is it just me or does this only cover one side at a time? and no sides when used as a stand... it looks like a rip-off of the "speck candyshell wrap"but with less protection... this case is going to be the cause of a lot of damage that wont be covered under warranty.
    happiness is a warm iphone~~~~

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

so basically it's like all the cases that used to come with blackberries? you take it out of the case and it wakes up, you put it in the case and it goes to sleep.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I think it looks sweet. However will it work with a protective film is the question

How is the cover going to cause damage? I use an invisible skin on my iPad since I hate cases, and it's in perfect condition to this day (bought it the day it came out). Just because you don't have a full-bodied case doesn't mean you're going to damage the iPad.
    Last edited by Silencer_0; 03-02-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,238 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frail1 View Post
    so basically it's like all the cases that used to come with blackberries? you take it out of the case and it wakes up, you put it in the case and it goes to sleep.
    That's what I was thinking! My BB Pearl used to do the same thing 5 years ago! LOL

I think its cool but wont the bottom of scratch??? I love the case for the first gen ipad... I hope they have that as an option. I want the whole thing covered...lol

meh...don't know about this one...almost seems as gimicky as those oh so wonderful bumpers...I'll likely wait to see what Otterbox comes up with- that being said I am really looking forward to getting a new iPad 2!!!
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3239680&dateline=1295  582579

ooh i dig it but i rather just have a case.
    PS3 ID : glassJAw624 : add it

Quote Originally Posted by deezine2000 View Post
    $39 a cover, OUCH! I wont have as many choices as i would want at that price.. lol
    Yeah, the better colors come in leather only it seems..

Yet again another smart innovation idea by Apple.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

The hinge that the cover attaches to is not very sleek. If you don't use the cover will it look like your ipad is missing something?
    Unconquered

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie420 View Post
    The hinge that the cover attaches to is not very sleek. If you don't use the cover will it look like your ipad is missing something?
    hinge is built into the cover

19. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

mbillie420 (03-02-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by iGoof View Post
    I hope that the old iPad Case will hold the new iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Of course your new iPad will fit in the old case, it'll constantly fall out and probably break coz iPad 2 is a third thinner.

If you are going to the expense of a new iPad 2 the toss in a few extra bucks and get a case designed specifically for it.

Thanks

I wouldnt use the old case

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast