Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FDA Approves Groundbreaking Radiology App for iPad, iPhone

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default FDA Approves Groundbreaking Radiology App for iPad, iPhone

On Friday, the US Food and Drug Administration validated the longstanding speculation that Apple's iPad would ultimately prove a useful tool in the world of medicine. Yesterday, the FDA announced that it has approved the first diagnostic radiology application for mobile devices, including both the iPad and iPhone.

Mobile MIM, the app in question, is the first of its kind to be formally cleared by the FDA for the purpose of viewing images and making medical diagnoses based on computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and nuclear medicine technology, such as positron emission tomography (PET). Although the FDA says the app is not meant to serve as a complete alternative to the established workstations already in use as hospitals and medical facilities, the app is billed as a suitable alternative "when there is no access to a workstation."

William Maisel, M.D., M.P.H., chief scientist and deputy director for science in the FDAs Center for Devices and Radiological Health says: This important mobile technology provides physicians with the ability to immediately view images and make diagnoses without having to be back at the workstation or wait for film. What's more, the use of the app may reduce the chances of an incorrect reading or diagnosis as the Mobile MIM application includes sufficient labeling and safety features to mitigate the risk of poor image display due to improper screen luminance or lighting conditions.

The app, which is expected to hit the App Store next week, will initially be available in 14 languages across 34 countries, including the US.

FDA

It took 3 years for the FDA to approve it? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb283 View Post
    It took 3 years for the FDA to approve it? Why?

Lol that's normal time for FDA to approve anything

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

It wouldn't be funny if a doctor altered your scanned of your organs by using one of those photo apps on the ipad only to poke fun at you. I'll be freaking out when I see my liver grew to a size of a basketball because he was having too much fun customizing the shape of it.

Thanks

Very cool, we have had many nurses and doctors requesting that our hospital purchase iPad but we have had some trouble getting them approved initially. They are recently being a bit more open to the idea and this is definitely a step in the right direction.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm surprise more medical offices aren't using iPads, it would make sense.

I'm going to talk my Dr. into Jailbreaking his iPad Maybe he'll give me a discount if I do it for him !!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to santacruzlocal For This Useful Post:

Funked (02-05-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    I'm surprise more medical offices aren't using iPads, it would make sense.

I'm going to talk my Dr. into Jailbreaking his iPad Maybe he'll give me a discount if I do it for him !!!
    This made me laugh

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Very Cool. Go Apple

Big breakthrough for Apple & Apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    This made me laugh
    Actually, my Dr. pays me for jailbreaking his iPhone and iPad (and his wife's iPhone) on every new iOS+jailbreak tool update. It takes me ~10 mins to do it and he pays me $20-$30 for each device, plus I get a discount and priority if the office is full and I don't have an appointment. And now that greenpois0n rc5 is out I guess there's another $40+ waiting for me at his office !
    27" iMac: Quad-Core 2.93GHz i7 & 16GB RAM
    iPhone 4S: 64GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPad 2: 32GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Touch 3rd Gen iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Classic (thick) 160GB

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

On Friday, the US Food and Drug Administration validated the longstanding speculation that Apple's iPad would ultimately prove a useful tool in the world of medicine. Yesterday, the FDA announced that it has approved the first diagnostic radiology application for mobile devices, including both the iPad and iPhone.

Mobile MIM, the app in question, is the first of its kind to be formally cleared by the FDA for the purpose of viewing images and making medical diagnoses based on computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and nuclear medicine technology, such as positron emission tomography (PET). Although the FDA says the app is not meant to serve as a complete alternative to the established workstations already in use as hospitals and medical facilities, the app is billed as a suitable alternative "when there is no access to a workstation."

William Maisel, M.D., M.P.H., chief scientist and deputy director for science in the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health says: “This important mobile technology provides physicians with the ability to immediately view images and make diagnoses without having to be back at the workstation or wait for film.” What's more, the use of the app may reduce the chances of an incorrect reading or diagnosis as the Mobile MIM application includes sufficient labeling and safety features to mitigate the risk of poor image display due to improper screen luminance or lighting conditions.

The app, which is expected to hit the App Store next week, will initially be available in 14 languages across 34 countries, including the US.

FDA
    Cool, it's star-trek time!

What!? Why did this even need approval. This app is so simple. Imaging files (MR, CT, PET, X-ray, etc.) are just a conglomeration of image files and all such a program does is organize those image files so they can be properly used. Oftentimes, when you get a disc or something of your scan, it already has that software loaded in with it, so these types of imaging tools are very commonplace.

Wow its so cool. I guess it is more convenient for doctors to check their xrays especially you can pinch zoom to look closer at the problem! good job to whoever accomplished this app!

Hope more hospitals will use this!
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I would guess because of privacy issues

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

iDevies: Breaking barriers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,026 Posts

NICE! I'm a surgical x-ray tech and this is gr8 news. The Spine company I work w/ (Texas Back Institute) gave all their interns/fellows ipads so I definitely see this as a step in the right direction.

I'm also doing part-time medical sales and a lot of the sales reps have moved over to ipads cuz it's easier for the surgeon to see new products and related videos on the iPad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default I use an app similar to this already
    I am a heart surgeon. Just last week I was called on a patient with an acute aortic dissection. I sat up in bed, grabbed my iPad, and reviewed the CT scan of the chest. From home, I was able to call the OR team and anesthesiologist to prepare the OR before I even came in to evaluate the patient. By the time I got to the hospital, everyone was ready to move as soon as I determined the patient was an acceptable surgical candidate. Before this, I would have to come to the hospital and review the films and then call the appropriate personnel. BIG DIFFERENCE in time to the OR.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    What!? Why did this even need approval. This app is so simple. Imaging files (MR, CT, PET, X-ray, etc.) are just a conglomeration of image files and all such a program does is organize those image files so they can be properly used. Oftentimes, when you get a disc or something of your scan, it already has that software loaded in with it, so these types of imaging tools are very commonplace.
    There is a big difference in just viewing a film and making a medical decision based on a film. Regular monitors are ok for large obvious findings, but you need special high resolution monitors to look for subtle findings such as a small breast mass or lung nodule. There had to be studies comparing high resolution monitors to the iPad to prove the iPad could be equal to them. This takes time. That is why it took the FDA time to approve this.
    Last edited by JHoffy1; 02-05-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

^ Really you are a heart doctor? I am having lots of problems with my heart right now... what a struggle!

Now to get doctors to use a app like this instead of looking at the wall to view them.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast