Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WSJ: Apple Cracking Down on Content Control Even Further

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default WSJ: Apple Cracking Down on Content Control Even Further

Last week, Apple faced harsh criticism for not playing nicely with the Sony Reader App. As you may recall, Apple effectively blocked Sony Corp's electronic book application from the App Store because the application would have circumvented Apple's system for buying content. “We have not changed our developer terms or guidelines,” Apple spokesperson Trudy Miller said in response to the Sony app's unceremonious removal. “We are now requiring that if an app offers customers the ability to purchase books outside of the app, that the same option is also available to customers from within the app with in-app purchase.”

In the wake of Apple's more aggressive enforcement of rules, many wondered if and how the crackdown would impact other applications, specifically those that deliver content for purchase. We may now have an answer. According to a report Thursday in the Wall Street Journal, Apple is making it a clear priority to "funnel more electronic sales of magazines, newspapers and other content through its iTunes store." As the report added, the move is clearly "making some publishers uneasy."

While Apple is undoubtedly angling to generate more subscription sales of digital content for the iPad, Cupertino's tightening enforcement of rules governing how some iPad apps must handle sales could have profound ramifications for those peddling digital books and other electronic publications. As the Wall Street Journal reports, Apple is generating no shortage of controversy with its latest crackdown because the company could effectively "require publishers to share revenue from some content with the Silicon Valley company for the first time." Making matters worse for publishers and content providers is that Apple will still restrict them from collecting the subscriber data that is invaluable for marketing purposes.

By complicating what should be a largely uncomplicated process - selling content and digital subscriptions directly to consumers - Apple, by all accounts, risks alienating the very content providers that the company ultimately depends upon to drive the growth and adoption rate of its iPad.

Wall Street Journal
    Image via FireLight
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 02-03-2011 at 02:50 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

Now That's a Good Look on Job's.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkDragonAn For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (02-07-2011)

hahaha, i love the nail polish! Stay hot Steve-O!!

Thanks

AWESOME Pic!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Whoever did the picture really did a great job. It's VERY convincing.

My god does the dumb **** ever stop? Does he not notice he is driving the nails in his own coffin? All I know is that my wife will not be getting another iPhone, period. I ditched it last year and never looked back. When her contract is over, its Verizon for her and no more iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait, so the reasoning behind denying the app was because it didn't allow in app purchases, but only purchases outside the app?

I am NEVER on Apple's side, but I really don't think this was meant to halt competition. How long have we had the nook and kindle apps on iOS? That's right, a LOOONG time. There is probably something going on here that we don't quite get.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Once again, if you don't want to sell in the app store then you can try elsewhere. Apple's store, Apple's rules.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Sony should release GeoHot's Computer so he can show them how to post their app on Cydia

11. The Following User Says Thank You to santacruzlocal For This Useful Post:

plcrules (02-03-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    My god does the dumb **** ever stop? Does he not notice he is driving the nails in his own coffin? All I know is that my wife will not be getting another iPhone, period. I ditched it last year and never looked back. When her contract is over, its Verizon for her and no more iPhone.
    my wife and I are currently shopping for Android phones as well. we both have the iphone 4 and have had all of them starting with the 2g. there's absolutely no way Im buying an "iphone 5" next summer or an iphone 6 (to be announced 6 months after the iphone 5 is released)

in fact, I didnt even bother with the ipad as Im sitting and waiting patiently for the Motorola Xoom or the Toshiba tegra.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Did people really think that Apple woul change their sales policy in mid-stride? This has been this way since day one. iTunes has become even more of a cash cow now that the AppStore has been added.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    my wife and I are currently shopping for Android phones as well. we both have the iphone 4 and have had all of them starting with the 2g. there's absolutely no way Im buying an "iphone 5" next summer or an iphone 6 (to be announced 6 months after the iphone 5 is released)

in fact, I didnt even bother with the ipad as Im sitting and waiting patiently for the Motorola Xoom or the Toshiba tegra.
    I have a DroidX and love it. Since there are new phones coming out with new tech in it, the HTC thunderbolt looks like a great phone. I personally like tinkering with the phone and Motorola locks up the bootloader, but so far HTC hasn't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    Sony should release GeoHot's Computer so he can show them how to post their app on Cydia
    Ahahahah. I second that!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

yea this gong a little too far i think, i know there devices there rules, but now they are jsut being greedy
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    I have a DroidX and love it. Since there are new phones coming out with new tech in it, the HTC thunderbolt looks like a great phone. I personally like tinkering with the phone and Motorola locks up the bootloader, but so far HTC hasn't.
    I have a Droid X too and even though the bootloader is locked, I still see no need to root. I use ADW EX launcher and I can personalize the function and look of it (changing icons and whatnot), not to mention the performance enhancements as well. After-market launcher aside, you can change the keyboard to look and function different, add customizable texting apps, etc. right out of the box. The OS is so open, I don't see a need for hacking Android. What's the point of it?