+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Tab Return Rate Vastly Outpaces Apple iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Samsung Galaxy Tab Return Rate Vastly Outpaces Apple iPad

The latest findings of a freshly released survey indicate that the Samsung Galaxy Tab return rate is vastly outpacing the rate at which Apple customers return their iPad. The inference, of course, is that iPad owners are significantly happier with their purchase than Samsung Galaxy tab owners are. But is that really true?

ITG Investment Research tracked point-of-sale data from nearly 6,000 wireless stores in the U.S. from the Galaxy Tabís November debut through Jan. 15 and found the device to have an unusually high return rate.
    Digital Daily reports that a sizable 16% of Galaxy Tab buyers returned their tablet. On the other hand, a mere 2% of iPad buyers did the same. In December 2010 alone, the return rate for the Galaxy Tab was hovering around 13% only to see that percentage grow after the first of the year. In response to the data's publication, a biting comment from the New York Post suggested that Samsung's answer to the iPad should be labeled the "boomerang" given how often it seems to come back to the store. Ouch.

What very few Samsung-haters are pointing out, however, is that the tablet return rate is being driven by problems with Android in general, not just Samsung. Rhoda Alexander, an iSuppli analyst, said, "There are a lot of issues with Android tablets, not just Samsung." Nonetheless, many Wall Street analysts believe 2011 will be the year when Android tablets will collectively "make a dent in the iPad's dominance."

Digital Daily

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats right. iPad FTW. Bring on the iPad 2 baby!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Who would waste their money on this?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Stories like this make me wonder if there real or fake. Made to pump up sales of the pad.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the big problem is that there are not many developers making dedicated apps for the Galaxy Tab. The iPad on the other hand has 10's of thousands. I would pick the iPad over the Galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Stories like this make me wonder if there real or fake. Made to pump up sales of the pad.
    I dont think the iPad needs any help selling.
    Last edited by TheOrioles33; 02-01-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Why would a company produce a "fake" product to help the sales of their product, that makes no sense. And like ^^^ said the iPad does not need help in sales.

Thanks

Ohh come on, don't blame Android for this .. LOL

Truthfully, I would blame Samsung .. especially with that companies nasty history of NOT updating there equipment (mainly cellphones) .. I also have a Samsung Captivate, still running 2.1 .. nothing out there for 2.2x or even 2.3x .. sucks. This stems back to the days I had a Samsung Eternity, full of bugs, promises, promises from both AT&T and Samsung that updates will be posted shortly to fix the issues. Here its 3 years later (after the Eternity's initial release), go up on Samsungs website and NOTHING .. 3 years and nothing at all !!!

So I wouldn't be blaming Android for all this .. if there are issues, they could be stemming from the hardware also .. thats Samsungs responsibility. And being that this is NEW to the market .. don't count on any updates/fixes for this piece of crap for at least .. hmmm .. NEVER !!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    no phone but iphone,no tablet but ipad!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to qucina For This Useful Post:

Dominicsky (02-01-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Boomerang, haha....
    Sonic Boom!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

2% of 10 million is still a high number in terms if units. 200,000.

Green Apple
    Thanks

How is this surprising to anyone? First of all, Apple was first out of the gate with the iPad - literally taking the Tablet Computer to the next level. The Galaxy Tab is an iPad wanna-be. The people that buy it don't see it for what it is - they see an "iPad", and are disappointed when it doesn't deliver like an iPad does.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Taranis17 For This Useful Post:

Dominicsky (02-01-2011)

Thanks

It's funny how when the iPad was introduced, EVERYONE said that it was just a giant ipod touch. Now, any and every electronics company out there is slapping together a tablet and thinking its going to compete with the iPad. Apple's products are well thought out and very user friendly. That's what has made iDevices so popular. The iPad, however, isn't without it's problems but it still does what it does better than any similar product. I have already busted open my Darth Vader piggy bank in anticipation of the iPad 2

Green Apple
    Thanks

People please don't just read percentages and run with it. Although the story says 16% vs. 2% they don't mention the total sales numbers they get the percentages from. Just because the percentage is higher does not make the number of returns higher.

Example:
    16% of 1000 is 160
    but
    2% of 10000 is 200

In the case above who actually has more returns?? The lower percentage, using ALL the numbers will give you a better picture.
    Last edited by chrisj979; 02-01-2011 at 01:31 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisj979 For This Useful Post:

isham.padron (02-01-2011), Snozberries (02-03-2011), ty22 (02-01-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    The Galaxy Tab is a great device. I own a cheaper android tab and I love it. I think some of returns might have something to do with the fact that you have to buy the service contact to get a tab and once you add in your own cell phone+service it gets pretty costly. The people that typically buy apple are more financially secure and they choose the ipad because of the prestige of owning an apple product. In a lot of ways an idevice is a status symbol. My guess is that less wealthy people get suckered into buying a galaxy tab and when they really cant afford it. As the bills mount the toy gets returned during a budget crunch. Samsung was stupid to not offer a wifi tab as an option.
    Last edited by isham.padron; 02-01-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LordGeek View Post
    Ohh come on, don't blame Android for this .. LOL

Truthfully, I would blame Samsung .. especially with that companies nasty history of NOT updating there equipment (mainly cellphones) .. I also have a Samsung Captivate, still running 2.1 .. nothing out there for 2.2x or even 2.3x .. sucks. This stems back to the days I had a Samsung Eternity, full of bugs, promises, promises from both AT&T and Samsung that updates will be posted shortly to fix the issues. Here its 3 years later (after the Eternity's initial release), go up on Samsungs website and NOTHING .. 3 years and nothing at all !!!

So I wouldn't be blaming Android for all this .. if there are issues, they could be stemming from the hardware also .. thats Samsungs responsibility. And being that this is NEW to the market .. don't count on any updates/fixes for this piece of crap for at least .. hmmm .. NEVER !!!!
    I agree. Samsung still doesn't have froyo out yet and it came out spring last year.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    I agree. Samsung still doesn't have froyo out yet and it came out spring last year.
    True. If you wanted you could get a half functional version of 2.3 gingerbread for iphone. Clearly it's a manufacturer problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    Correct .. I mean, you can get chopped versions from X D A Developers to put on your phone in regards to Froyo or even Gingerbread .. is it 100% functioning, NOPE .. either one, WiFi not working, GPS nothing working, downloading from Market not working .. unable to install Apps not working .. the lists go on and on !!!

I have dropped EVERYTHING I have from Samsung .. my Captivate, I gave to my oldest daughter, for the past 3 years, she's been using an old Motorola Z9 .. so this for her was a gift from heaven .. LOL .. she won't be looking for updates like us G33K's .. LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by isham.padron View Post
    The Galaxy Tab is a great device. I own a cheaper android tab and I love it. I think some of returns might have something to do with the fact that you have to buy the service contact to get a tab and once you add in your own cell phone+service it gets pretty costly. The people that typically buy apple are more financially secure and they choose the ipad because of the prestige of owning an apple product. In a lot of ways an idevice is a status symbol. My guess is that less wealthy people get suckered into buying a galaxy tab and when they really cant afford it. As the bills mount the toy gets returned during a budget crunch. Samsung was stupid to not offer a wifi tab as an option.
    agreed

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orozcoj4 View Post
    It's funny how when the iPad was introduced, EVERYONE said that it was just a giant ipod touch. Now, any and every electronics company out there is slapping together a tablet and thinking its going to compete with the iPad. Apple's products are well thought out and very user friendly. That's what has made iDevices so popular. The iPad, however, isn't without it's problems but it still does what it does better than any similar product. I have already busted open my Darth Vader piggy bank in anticipation of the iPad 2
    Totally agreed. The usability is the key here. iDevices are so intuitive to use.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The difference between the return rate on iPads and the Samsung Galazy Tab is that instead of returning it, a lot of customers have kept it past 30 days to the point where they can't return it anymore... after they realize that they rarely use the tablet, they finally sell it on craigslist or ebay.