+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Tab Return Rate Vastly Outpaces Apple iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I think the fact that apple design there hardware AND software is a BIG advantage as they work together very well and IMO the so called closed system of iOS
    Thanks

I think the fact that apple design there hardware AND software is a BIG advantage as they work together very well and IMO the so called closed system of iOS means less problems for the general user.

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj979 View Post
    People please don't just read percentages and run with it. Although the story says 16% vs. 2% they don't mention the total sales numbers they get the percentages from. Just because the percentage is higher does not make the number of returns higher.

Example:
    16% of 1000 is 160
    but
    2% of 10000 is 200

In the case above who actually has more returns?? The lower percentage, using ALL the numbers will give you a better picture.
    No, actually that would be a biased and incorrect way to report it.

Look at it this way, that's like saying Car X is less reliable than Car Y because Car X had 100 repairs and Car Y had 10 repairs, except that Car X sold 100,000 models and Car Y sold 10,000 units, so they both had a 0.1% repair rate.

Using raw numbers is pointless because not every product sells the exact same amount. Percentages are the correct way because they scale to the total.

Therefore, even if the net number of returns for the Tab is lower than the iPad, it still has a larger proportion of returns-to-sales than the iPad, which is what counts.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mohaas05 For This Useful Post:

CynicalDriver (02-02-2011), Malves (02-01-2011), manickbarry (02-01-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mohaas05 View Post
    No, actually that would be a biased and incorrect way to report it.

Look at it this way, that's like saying Car X is less reliable than Car Y because Car X had 100 repairs and Car Y had 10 repairs, except that Car X sold 100,000 models and Car Y sold 10,000 units, so they both had a 0.1% repair rate.

Using raw numbers is pointless because not every product sells the exact same amount. Percentages are the correct way because they scale to the total.

Therefore, even if the net number of returns for the Tab is lower than the iPad, it still has a larger proportion of returns-to-sales than the iPad, which is what counts.
    +1

That's exactly what I was thinking.

160/1,000 is still a much poorer result than 200/10,000

10 times as many units sold, with only 40 units more returned.

Proper reporting uses percentages for this reason. It avoids "spin."

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnwin View Post
    The difference between the return rate on iPads and the Samsung Galazy Tab is that instead of returning it, a lot of customers have kept it past 30 days to the point where they can't return it anymore... after they realize that they rarely use the tablet, they finally sell it on craigslist or ebay.
    I think there would be a lot of people selling G-Tabs on Craigslist too, if they had a wifi option.

You're mixing conditions. Service on a G-Tab requires a contract, unlike iPad. Apple was very smart in that negotiation with AT&T.

It's where you are.

Thanks

Go iPad! FTW

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orozcoj4 View Post
    It's funny how when the iPad was introduced, EVERYONE said that it was just a giant ipod touch. Now, any and every electronics company out there is slapping together a tablet and thinking its going to compete with the iPad. Apple's products are well thought out and very user friendly. That's what has made iDevices so popular. The iPad, however, isn't without it's problems but it still does what it does better than any similar product. I have already busted open my Darth Vader piggy bank in anticipation of the iPad 2
    Yup I can remember when they released the iPad and what all people said.... they really cut the iPad down at first.... and now look at what they say about it.

As for my iPad's I have had no problems with either of them. And I will be buying the iPad2 as well.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

So... Are the saying that in 2011 we will have another "iPad-Killer"?

Who remembers the days of the constant promises of iPhone killers and how everyone way falling way short for two years?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

So what else is new...

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj979 View Post
    People please don't just read percentages and run with it. Although the story says 16% vs. 2% they don't mention the total sales numbers they get the percentages from. Just because the percentage is higher does not make the number of returns higher.

Example:
    16% of 1000 is 160
    but
    2% of 10000 is 200

In the case above who actually has more returns?? The lower percentage, using ALL the numbers will give you a better picture.
    the percentage is more important than the units. yea using all the numbers is important but just because the 2% yields a higher number does not mean that its worse. your looking at a smaller picture by looking at it by units

examples
    16% of 1000 is 160 only 840 happy customers
    but
    2% of 10000 is 200 9,800 happy customers
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have both the ipad and Samsung Galaxy Tab. I was surprised with the comments people left about the Samsung Galaxy Tab. A lot claim it was going to be "ipad Killer". HA, not likely!!
    I do like certain things on my Samsung over my ipad and there are certain things I like on my ipad over the Samsung.When I want to down size my bag then Samsung is nice to have, but I tend to feel the need to take both! LOL!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

We could go the other way...
    Since 10,000 is 10 times more than 1,000, we could downsize the bigger seller to a proportional number:

For every 1,000 G-Tabs that get sold, 160 get returned for a refund. This means 840 purchases resulted in satisfaction.

For every 1,000 iPads that sell, only 20 get returned. Which means 980 purchases resulted in satisfaction.

I use satisfaction rather than people because, for both products, there are a lot of people who purchase more than one.

98% satisfaction > 84%

Numbers can be good or bad, depending on the metrics used. Take Apple's 10,000,000,000th App campaign:

If it's based on downloads only, then the REAL number of Apps purchased/installed is far lower, because every update counts as a download.

If it's based on initial installs and purchases ONLY, then it is impressive.

It's where you are.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12