+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: JOOS Orange is One Tough Solar Panel

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default JOOS Orange is One Tough Solar Panel

MMi Live @ MacWorld

JOOS Orange may just be the toughest solar panel you can buy. Itís no slouch in the power department either. The JOOS Orange is a solar powered battery pack that can charge all iOS devices and just about any other USB powered device as well. Itís roughly the size of an iPad and weighs just about as much.

Most USB solar battery packs available today can take many hours or even days to charge in the sun. For every hour of direct sunlight the JOOS Orange receives it delivers two hours of 3G cellular talk time. I doubt there are any other solar power batter packs out there that can make such a claim. It comes with a replaceable 5400mAh battery pack that can charge most cell phones at least four times. They claim that it charges at least 3.5 times faster than any other portable charging unit, similarly priced.

The JOOS Orange is built tough. I mean really tough. During testing they shot it five times with a 22 caliber gun and it was still able to charge an iPad. This is one super durable unit and it even works in light rain. Itís built like a tank, but at the same time it doesnít feel too heavy either.

Itís been designed to be as simple a device as possible. It only has two power indicator lights and one micro USB port on the bottom of the unit. If you really want to geek out, however, there is a free desktop application called myJOOS, which allows you to hook it up to your computer and monitor the unitís behavior in real time.

Itís currently sold out, but they should be getting more in stock in a few weeks. It'll set you back $139.95, but if youíre the outdoorsy type who has lots of gadgets, then this will keep your devices powered up now matter where you go.

Source: JOOS Orange by Solar Components
    Last edited by Wiley John Wright; 01-30-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Fixed YouTube Link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (01-31-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Pretty F'n cool!

Thanks

This would be a good addition to my collection of things that would be useful during a zombie apocalypse.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spazturtle For This Useful Post:

caleb9707 (01-30-2011), cpetrosky (01-30-2011), Snozberries (01-31-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got one for Christmas and put myself on the mailing list. I have no idea if the offer is still around, but I got mine for $100 as an introductory price. I got an email last week saying they were extending that price and all you had to do was make a preorder and wait for production and shipment.

The charging times are accurate with this post. The snow storm cut power to me here in DC and I left the JOOS to charge for a whole day and was on my phone all night/day. Can't wait to take it to the middle east on a deployment.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to candypaint For This Useful Post:

caleb9707 (01-30-2011)

Thanks

oh please 22 aint sh*t. hit it with something with a little more kick and then market that. try a 12g with buck shot and then see if it works
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    This would be a good addition to my collection of things that would be useful during a zombie apocalypse.
    If you get bad cell service now, imagine what it would be like during a zombie apocalypse.

Banned
    Thanks

omg, lolz.

UR RIGHT!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

oh please 22 aint sh*t. hit it with something with a little more kick and then market that. try a 12g with buck shot and then see if it works
    I think the main point is they shot an electronic with a GUN and it worked.
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ecd5000 View Post
    Or how about we strap some dynamite to it and let her rip? Only then can we get a 'realistic' result. I mean let's be serious... If your electronic product can't survive an explosion, then it's completely worthless.

Congratulations on being so experienced in the ways of firearms. The hood must be treating you well if you're buying Apple products. Especially bulletproof ones.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (01-30-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The only time i would see myself using this is in the wilderness or when Im driving, I would put the orange thing on my car roof and voila, oh wait thats why they have car chargers, never mind! oh how about when im on the street, no no no it's too big to carry around, PLUS imagine your self trying to face it toward the sun. Yea in total this is not for me but it could evolve into something that is. Like maybe the size could be reduced to maybe an ipod touch instead of an ipad! Cool product but NOT VERY consumers would want to buy it. atleast thats my opinion.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Jajaja I was thinking the same!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoenix3g View Post
    If you get bad cell service now, imagine what it would be like during a zombie apocalypse.
    At least you can use your iPod!! Jaja!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thedirtydiddler View Post
    or how about we strap some dynamite to it and let her rip? Only then can we get a 'realistic' result. I mean let's be serious... If your electronic product can't survive an explosion, then it's completely worthless.

Congratulations on being so experienced in the ways of firearms. The hood must be treating you well if you're buying apple products. Especially bulletproof ones.
    Epic win.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jiniej View Post
    I think the main point is they shot an electronic with a GUN and it worked.
    That is because they didn't shoot the cable =D, try shooting cable for once .

Thanks
    dis it say charge cell phone 4 times before it the battery needs to be replaced

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoenix3g View Post
    At least there'll be music... And Angry Birds!
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Thanks

It's worth a try

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    Or how about we strap some dynamite to it and let her rip? Only then can we get a 'realistic' result. I mean let's be serious... If your electronic product can't survive an explosion, then it's completely worthless.

Congratulations on being so experienced in the ways of firearms. The hood must be treating you well if you're buying Apple products. Especially bulletproof ones.
    Lol, this gave me a good laugh! +1!

That's one tough mother!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    The only time i would see myself using this is in the wilderness or when Im driving, I would put the orange thing on my car roof and voila, oh wait thats why they have car chargers, never mind! oh how about when im on the street, no no no it's too big to carry around, PLUS imagine your self trying to face it toward the sun. Yea in total this is not for me but it could evolve into something that is. Like maybe the size could be reduced to maybe an ipod touch instead of an ipad! Cool product but NOT VERY consumers would want to buy it. atleast thats my opinion.
    Dude, did you not read the article? They're SOLD OUT so of course consumers want this thing. I was at Macworld this year and they had a booth there. There were more people at their booth than anyone around them, it was hilarious! Took me like 5 minutes just to get up front so I could hold the damn thing. You gotta be smarter than the charger dude... this isn't something you'd use "on the street" or "in the car", its something you'd use if you were AWAY FROM POWER or if you want to get off the grid.

Thanks

I own one of these. It's a nice unit, here's my opinion:

pros:
    • large capacity battery - can recharge a few times before needing sun
    • recharges on cloudy days that my other solar panels won't work on
    • relatively weather proof - can leave it out on a rainy day you can't leave other panels out on
    • replaceable (in theory) battery - other units have fixed batteries
    • can be charged up over usb

cons:
    • battery not large enough for iPad, only gets it to ~50%
    • micro-usb port only
    • cable with adapter "tips" - prone to getting lost, expensive to replace
    • large/heavy
    • no easy way to check charge (have to plug it into a live device and watch a light blink, ugh. my biggest complaint)

i pre-ordered mine for $99. is it worth the $100? easily over the other options out there. i believe the special price is still going on. $140 would make me think about it a bit more.

if anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask.