Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 3 to feature Retina Display?

Default iPad 3 to feature Retina Display?

This has been a hot topic of discussion, as the iPad 2 should be coming shortly, and many of us are wondering if there will be an upgraded screen resolution. PC World has been reporting on the topic and says that IDC analyst, Tom Mainelli, commented that Apple will indeed bring Retina displays to the iPad, but not until about 2012, meaning that this would be possibly for the 3rd Generation iPad and not the iPad 2.

"I think the Digitimes story probably got the resolution right, but the iPad version wrong," Mainelli told PCWorld via e-mail. "Our sources say Apple has requested that manufacturers begin work on displays with that resolution for the iPad 3."
    "I don't believe anybody is ready to produce that resolution in volumes at this point. And Apple is going to require huge volumes for the iPad 2," he added.
    With all the fuss and buzz over a retina display iPad, there are tons of factors that have to be taken in, especially compatibility with current apps and the transition that would have to occur in order to maintain a good reason for getting an Retina display iPad.

For now, it looks like nothing new until the iPad 3. Keep your eyes peeled tho, as nothing is for sure just yet. It is understood that the iPad 2 might feature a dual-core graphics chip capable of playing 1080p HD videos, including the ability to have a high-resolution Retina display, so you never really know until its official.

Source: iPad 2 Won't Have 2048 by 1536 Resolution--But iPad 3 Might - PCWorld

Thanks

Man apple is putting on the moves man.

cool!
    "No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ipad 6 does ur hw for u.

iPhone? More like MyPhone frail1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post

an Retina display iPad.
    argh!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to frail1 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Quackers (01-25-2011)

Um, doesn't the iPad already have better graphics than the iPhone 4 which has Retina display? If Retina Display isn't a big fancy word for good graphics, then what is it?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Um, doesn't the iPad already have better graphics than the iPhone 4 which has Retina display? If Retina Display isn't a big fancy word for good graphics, then what is it?
    Pretty sure it's just a certain level of resolution for a given screen size in which the human eye can't easily see individual pixels.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    "Retina Display" is nothing more than a buzz word for a display with a high number pixels per inch. The iPhone 4 has a higher number of pixels per inch than the iPad. It doesn't relate to the quality of graphics, but isn't it the iPhone 4 that has the better graphics and CPU?

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    "Retina Display" is nothing more than a buzz word for a display with a high number pixels per inch. The iPhone 4 has a higher number of pixels per inch than the iPad. It doesn't relate to the quality of graphics, but isn't it the iPhone 4 that has the better graphics and CPU?
    The iPhone 4 has the exact same A4 chip; The CPU is not in any way "Better". They're the same.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MLGKorno For This Useful Post:

feidhlim1986 (01-24-2011)

this is just getting silly now, inevitable, but silly

how many generations ahead does a site have to report on to be down with the kids?
    iDevice-less, for once. flirting with Andy Roid atm, looking to rekindle romance if the right handset comes along

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I just hope for a small bump in res

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I just hope for a small bump in res
    Agreed. Text on the iPad looks sub-par since getting the ip4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't think they are going to up the res. a lil now. I think it's all or nothing, like with the iPhone.
    But they really should make it retina.
    The iPad screen was great before I got an iPhone 4. Now it just doesn't seem sharp enough whenever I wanna read something.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MLGKorno View Post
    The iPhone 4 has the exact same A4 chip; The CPU is not in any way "Better". They're the same.
    Ah yes you're right. I forgot the iPad had the A4 too.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Who cares about iPad 3 when iPad 2 is not even out yet. Why are we writing about Rumors for a product that won't hit our market until 2012. Modmyi not what it used to be. You just seem redundant or way behind in the news. Lol I remember the good o days of modmyiphone.com

Thanks

Plus 2012 it's the end of the world as we know it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to carbeto For This Useful Post:

Mamimami (01-24-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by NumbaOneI View Post
    Ipad 6 does ur hw for u.
    I'll buy 4, one for each class so that it's done extra quick! Lmao

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok so are we going to get a Retina Display or no?? Because there was an article like a week ago or so that said that it wouldn't make sense. Arrgh all the apple rumors . I wonder if there's going to be rumors about a "White iPad" or a "White iPod touch" soon enough

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Ok so are we going to get a Retina Display or no?? Because there was an article like a week ago or so that said that it wouldn't make sense. Arrgh all the apple rumors . I wonder if there's going to be rumors about a "White iPad" or a "White iPod touch" soon enough
    Shhhhhhhh!
    Don't give them any ideas!

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I say it's either NOW or LATER. I do not think that there will be an in-between "slightly bumped" res and then later a retina display. Developers would have to make 3 different applications to fir the resolution of the specific iPad Generation. Then some apps will look bad and others won't....uggh ...confusion. Give me the "retina display" or "higher resolution" NOW or LATER and when it happens don't change it for a very long time
    God Bless

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast