+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 May Include Upgraded 2048x1536 Screen

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default iPad 2 May Include Upgraded 2048x1536 Screen

Image: ifixit.com

Rumors surrounding the iPad 2 have been swirling for some time now. The latest rumors indicate the next iPad model will sport a higher resolution screen. The current iPad has a resolution of 1024x768 and 132 ppi. There has been much talk lately that Apple will be including a Retina Display (300 ppi) with the next iPad, but that is highly unlikely. A 9.7-inch screen with a resolution that high would be impractical. Its far more likely that Apple will simply double the horizontal and vertical resolution as they did with the iPhone 4. The iPhone 3GS has a resolution of 480x320, while the iPhone 4s screen was increased to 960x640.

Recently, a developer found artwork within version 1.1 of Apples iBooks app that was larger than typical iPad images. Upon closer inspection the image seemed to be pixel-doubled. Also, included with the image was another file labeled iPadx2. This image had also been pixel-doubled. It would seem that these images were accidentally included with the iBooks app and have since been removed from subsequent versions.

If the evolution of the iPhone screen is any indication, then the next iPad will have a screen that is 2048x1536 and a pixel density of about 260 ppi. This may not be quite as high quality as a Retina Display, but it is sure to be a welcomed improvement over the current iPad screen. Other rumors indicate that Apple will also be upgrading the processor of the next iPad. A new high-resolution screen would require a faster processor to operate and an upgraded GPU. If Apple sticks to its yearly refresh of iOS devices, then well only have to wait until April to find out more.

Source: MacRumors

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (01-17-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be amazing. I already think the iPad screen is awesome but higher resolution. YES PLEASE

Thanks

Sounds good

Thanks

I could imagine it getting better quality, but not this much better
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't care about cameras; if the iPad 2's screen is 260ppi and reasonably priced for Apple I'm definitely getting one

Thanks

It's most likely gonna sell at the same exact prices they are selling for now.

Everyone knows, that any "improvement" apple makes to any thing they sell, you'd go out and get it hahaha.
    I'm guilty of it too. Going from the 3G to the 3GS..
    I'll get iPad 2 too!

Thanks

Great..time to save up..my bday is feb 7 don't really want anything but a iPad 2 iPhone 4 with unlimited data wifi iPad 2 is a great combo..I don't have problems with AT&T in my area wooot

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The iPad is viewed from a greater distance (almost twice as much as the iPhone) so the pixel density doesn't need to be 320 ppi to prevent pixellation. So 200 ppi is more than enough for the ipad. The screen of the current iPad is already great.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amishasdf For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (01-16-2011)

Thanks

Over on Engadget a few days ago there was also some potential insider leaks that said the new A5 SoC would be capable of serving up 1080p content as "smoothly as flowing water", and on a screen this high-res that would be AWESOME. DO WANT.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NessLookAlike For This Useful Post:

Distorted Hope (01-16-2011)

Thanks

No the iPad resolution definitely needs to be upped. When I read a book in iBooks or read something on a webpage I can see individual pixels. Besides a higher resolution screen on an iPad would be gorgeous.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Resolution like that seems like it would be way overkill IMO. Not saying it shouldn't be increased at all, but this is huge.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

That resolution would be spiffying.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

A screen like that would be nice.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post
    The current iPad has a resolution of 1024x768 and 132 ppi. There has been much talk lately that Apple will be including a Retina Display (300 ppi) with the next iPad, but that is highly unlikely. A 9.7-inch screen with a resolution that high would be impractical.

If the evolution of the iPhone screen is any indication, then the next iPad will have a screen that is 2048x1536 and a pixel density of about 260 ppi. This may not be quite as high quality as a Retina Display, but it is sure to be a welcomed improvement over the current iPad screen.
    I REALLY wish people would stop incorrectly reporting this. Apple has never, not a single time, ever, described "Retina Display" as an unqualified 300 PPI. Seriously. Go back and watch the iPhone 4 launch. Jobs clearly said that at a distance of 10-12 inches, above 300 PPI your retina can't even see the pixels, so they were comfortable calling their 326 PPI phone display a "Retina Display". The only requirement for a retina display as stated by Apple, is a DPI above what the retina can see at the appropriate viewing distance. Not 300. Not 326. But "more than you can see". I'm sure his presentation of the new iPad will include a sentence that starts with "What we found was that..." followed by an explanation that for tablets, 200-250 PPI was the limit of what you can see, and how their new iPad Retina display puts them comfortably above that at 260+ PPI. "You've never seen ANY tablet with a display like this" is an almost guaranteed quote as well.

That being said.. yay! This is exactly what I've been waiting to see. A resolution double basically guarantees that I'm in for getting a new one. I don't care about cameras, or SD card readers or any of that crap. New screen and new processor, and I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I could imagine it getting better quality, but not this much better
    Why not? It's certainly doable from a technical perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Resolution like that seems like it would be way overkill IMO. Not saying it shouldn't be increased at all, but this is huge.
    It is huge, but doubling is really the best way to fit backwards compatibility. It's the only resolution increase that makes sense.

Keep in mind the purpose behind bumping the resolution past the point you can see isn't so you see more pixels, it's so you see less pixels .

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krosis For This Useful Post:

saunupe1911 (01-17-2011), shinygerbil (01-17-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm really hoping for a big res bump. I don't like using my iPad and iP4 around the same time, solely because the iPad looks blurry.

Thanks

Why 260dpi screen couldn't be named 'retina display' ?? 'retina display' its JUST a marketing (TM) term, not any official name for any standard. they named 320dpi iPhone screen 'retina' just because they liked to. so Apple can name 260dpi screen for iPad retina too. they called it so, because you can't see separate pixels from X distance, so they make Y (because you hold iPad at larger distance) valid for iPad, and bum... we have 'retina' in iPad

Thanks

That is better than my computer monitor!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomeSlayer For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (01-16-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    I'm really hoping for a big res bump. I don't like using my iPad and iP4 around the same time, solely because the iPad looks blurry.
    that's so true,, I hope it does get a huge improvement ,, dint get me wrong, I like my iPad,,

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This feature alone would convince me to get an iPad. Great resolution combined with that much area should be amazing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
    That is better than my computer monitor!
    Agreed, this is higher than most 24" monitors (usually 1920x1200). If this is true, will be insane to be able to hold my 24" monitor in my hand. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.