Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 May Include Upgraded 2048x1536 Screen

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

like others have said it doesnt need to be retina status but it does need an upgrade. just enough to keep the price the same
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

A resolution greater than 1080p on a 9" screen is huge overkill in my opinion. Most people can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you go to about 40".
    This would mean that the iPad would be able to produce a higher resolution than even the 2nd Gen Apple TV (which is ridiculous that it can't do more than 720p, even tho an iPhone 3GS can play a 1080p file)
    Maybe Apple is also planning to (finally) realize that it's now 2011, and start offering 1080p Movies on the iTunes Store.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    A resolution greater than 1080p on a 9" screen is huge overkill in my opinion. Most people can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you go to about 40".
    This would mean that the iPad would be able to produce a higher resolution than even the 2nd Gen Apple TV (which is ridiculous that it can't do more than 720p, even tho an iPhone 3GS can play a 1080p file)
    Maybe Apple is also planning to (finally) realize that it's now 2011, and start offering 1080p Movies on the iTunes Store.
    Practically all computer monitors are over 1080p and they are nowhere near 40". If the iPad 2 wasn't at least 1080p then it would be outdated before it even launched, most of the new tablets coming out are 1080p.

I don't know why people thought Apple would have a 300+ppi resolution screen anyways because that would be crazy. They quadrupled the number of pixels on the iPhone 4 so that all apps would fit correctly on the new screen so its pretty obvious that they would do the same with the iPad. They'll blow the Android tablets out of the water since the max resolution I heard for them was 1280x800.

Thanks

If this is true, the iPad 2 can be used as a computer monitor. Heck, it will even work well with iTeleport (if there is one for the iPad).
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
    If this is true, the iPad 2 can be used as a computer monitor. Heck, it will even work well with iTeleport (if there is one for the iPad).
    Only quoted you to say love Golden Sun

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    Agreed, this is higher than most 24" monitors (usually 1920x1200). If this is true, will be insane to be able to hold my 24" monitor in my hand. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.
    It's sad that is true nowadays. In the late '90s I had a 14" viewable CRT that could do 1600x1200. In 2002 I had a 14" laptop with the same resolution. I'm currently using a 10 year old CRT (Sony CDP-G500) with 20" viewable that does 2048x1536. There are many computer professionals that lament over the ever-decreasing resolution of computer displays, and this obsession with widescreen. I blame HDTV.

If you really think that you can't see more than 720p on anything smaller than a 40" screen, then I don't think you're talking about the same thing as the rest of us. By your logic an iPhone screen shouldn't need more than 70 pixels anyway because it's not even 4". Video of real world images run through a lossy codec on a 10-foot display is a very different thing than graphics composting and text rendering on a tablet.

Thanks

Only quoted you to say love Golden Sun
    I wasn't expecting that.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

And THAT is why I was waiting for the second generation iPad! The current screen looks great for most activities, but a smaller pixel pitch was needed for fine print.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (01-24-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I cant wait to see the iPad 2. I might even get one if I really like it better from previous iPad version.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

I made a wise decision to wait for the nextr generation, and trust me it was not easy.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

These last few months will be hard though

And i though my iPad is the best i could see in year i think.
    iLike iDevices and Pancakes.

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    It's sad that is true nowadays. In the late '90s I had a 14" viewable CRT that could do 1600x1200. In 2002 I had a 14" laptop with the same resolution. I'm currently using a 10 year old CRT (Sony CDP-G500) with 20" viewable that does 2048x1536. There are many computer professionals that lament over the ever-decreasing resolution of computer displays, and this obsession with widescreen. I blame HDTV.
    Lament over the ever-decreasing.. you mean the ever-increasing? All I keep seeing is larger and larger LCD/LED's with larger resolutions and the same PPI. I think iPhone 4 will give them the kick in the @ss they need to start decreasing PPI and making really high resolution displays in the same size they are now.

I would kill.. like literally kill a human being.. for a 24" display with 326ppi like the i4's Retina. Sure, I'd need a GPU with a built-in nuclear fission generator to drive it, but that's a problem i can figure out.

F*** old people and their ****** eyes. If I'm not squinting to see the pixels, I don't want it!
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 01-24-2011 at 06:32 AM.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    Lament over the ever-decreasing.. you mean the ever-increasing? All I keep seeing is larger and larger LCD/LED's with larger resolutions and the same PPI. I think iPhone 4 will give them the kick in the @ss they need to start decreasing PPI and making really high resolution displays in the same size they are now.

I would kill.. like literally kill a human being.. for a 24" display with 326ppi like the i4's Retina. Sure, I'd need a GPU with a built-in nuclear fission generator to drive it, but that's a problem i can figure out.

F*** old people and their ****** eyes. If I'm not squinting to see the pixels, I don't want it!
    No, I really ment decreasing. And I share your desire for squint-worthy pixels. 1600x1200, and 1920x1200 used to be the standard resolution for any 18"+ LCD (and much smaller CRTs; my first Win95 computer had a 14" 1600x1200 display). Walk in to a Best Buy today and screens of that size are usually 1680x1050, or worse. Even 1200 height is hard to come by on the larger screens, thanks mostly to HD TV's "1080p FullHD" marketing point. As someone who reads and writes on my computer most of the day, I could care less about widescreen. Vertical resolution and DPI are the two main things I care about, and both are quite a bit worse today than they seemed to be 10 years ago on anything but the highest end displays. As I said, I'm still using a 10 year old 20" CRT that does 2048x1536 because I'd need to spend $1000 to get a modern LCD that compares to it.

You also want them to increase PPI not decrease it. Your OS also has a much bigger problem running those resolutions than your GPU. Well get there on the desktop, but I imagine it's at least a few years away. Unfortunatly old eyes are a big obstacle. Unlike CRTs, on an LCD you generally want your native resolution to be your optimal resolution. If they had a 50% higher DPI display, it would need to scale pixels to look normal, and scaled pixels look lousy. Just like we've seen in the last year in the mobile space, high res screens are great, but software support is vital if you actually want to pull it off.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12