Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Digg Founder Sparks iPad 2 Speculation

Thanks

I just got iPhone 4 now why would I need a larger iPad 2 to take pics and video when my iPhone 4 does the same thing and smaller. If the price is same, I may sell my 16gb iPad wifi only but if not in 500 range then no.

Ooo big whoop. Retina, and 2 cameras that shouldve been on the first iPad. Apple is retarded. Little features for big prices
    no spam

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

I still don't get this mistaken assumption most people seem to have that a "retina" display must be 326 ppi.

In the iP4 launch it was clearly stated that for a device held 10-12" away from your face, 300+ was what they found was needed for transparency, and pixel doubling to fit their backwards compatibility put them comfortably above it.

For an iPad, that number is certainly less than 300, and simply doubling the iPad's resolution would definitely make it a "retina" display by all standards Apple has used to date. Given the example with the iP/T 4, and Apple's desire to maintain backwards compatibility, I don't see any resolution increase that makes sense other than to double it.

It certainly seems possible from a technical perspective. There's already 2 megapixel displays in 4.8" size, It seems Apple should be able to get 50% more pixels in a display that's 300% larger.

The only performance problem would be running 3D applications, and as they've shown with the iP4 they can easily make 3D apps render at half resolution. Assuming we see a GPU upgrade in the A5 chip to at least a SGX 540, that should be less of a problem.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to krosis For This Useful Post:

mpan814 (01-09-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Mannn.. i sold my ipad couple weeks before christmas because i want the new one... but if it doesnt impress me i think im walking over to the motorola zoom. yeah apple should have released the ipad 1 with the camera and such. It reminds me of the iphone 1. and everyone went crazy over that, within a year the had out the 3g which was more then double the speed and so on so forth. What makes you think the ipad will be any different. The first gen of a product is like a test dummy, see what people like and dislike then tweak the product.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    Mannn.. i sold my ipad couple weeks before christmas because i want the new one... but if it doesnt impress me i think im walking over to the motorola zoom. yeah apple should have released the ipad 1 with the camera and such. It reminds me of the iphone 1. and everyone went crazy over that, within a year the had out the 3g which was more then double the speed and so on so forth. What makes you think the ipad will be any different. The first gen of a product is like a test dummy, see what people like and dislike then tweak the product.
    Enjoy that two year contract!

Thanks

the xoom has a contract?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    the xoom has a contract?
    Can't say that it does for sure but I think the Verizon logo on the device is a big indicator that you are going to have to purchase it through a carrier.

Just wait until the 13th generation where they announce iteliport and your iPad or iPhone can teleport you to anywhere and wipe your @$$ for you lmao!

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrrippey View Post
    Wouldn't a higher resolution mean the games / apps would look bad (just like what happened now)?

I'll wait to see what happens. Most likely prices stay the same but capacity doubles and cameras front and rear. Maybe a slightly better screen but not retina.

Rippey
    Yes, it would. My guess is that they are just going to announce it and that they will give at least several weeks (or months) before it actually comes out so that developers can make their apps suitable for it.
    God Bless

Thanks

^^^ Hahaha lol.

I'm going to have a hard time finding a verzion store in canada.
    Idk just a thought.

I still hope it doesn't get a rear camera. Despite if it's mainly meant for FaceTime, you know there are going to be some crazy people that just love to take photos and videos with it in public.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

I love my iPhone and have dreamed of having the iPad 2...

... but if the iPad 2 doesn't have a decent processor to compete with the new dual-cores that H-comb will be sporting like the Motorola Xoom - then I might reconsidered iOS altogether (except maybe an iPod Touch).

The Motorola Atrix 4G is already got me a drooling for a piece of the dark (green) side...

Apple has a been a great innovator and these companies now wouldn't be anywhere if it wasn't for Apple... but the same could be said to Ford, and I'm sorry, but I love my Acura. Push the boundaries, Apple... keep me interested, that's all I'm saying.
    #eli7e revived me

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

All I got to say is if the next iPad doesn't knock my socks off I am not going to upgrade.....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (01-09-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    I still don't get this mistaken assumption most people seem to have that a "retina" display must be 326 ppi.

In the iP4 launch it was clearly stated that for a device held 10-12" away from your face, 300+ was what they found was needed for transparency, and pixel doubling to fit their backwards compatibility put them comfortably above it.

For an iPad, that number is certainly less than 300, and simply doubling the iPad's resolution would definitely make it a "retina" display by all standards Apple has used to date. Given the example with the iP/T 4, and Apple's desire to maintain backwards compatibility, I don't see any resolution increase that makes sense other than to double it.

It certainly seems possible from a technical perspective. There's already 2 megapixel displays in 4.8" size, It seems Apple should be able to get 50% more pixels in a display that's 300% larger.

The only performance problem would be running 3D applications, and as they've shown with the iP4 they can easily make 3D apps render at half resolution. Assuming we see a GPU upgrade in the A5 chip to at least a SGX 540, that should be less of a problem.
    Good point. Apple's retina display has to do with ppi and the distance between the device and the eyes. Since the iPad is held further away from the face, it could have a lower ppi, yet still be "retina display"
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If the first gen had more ram and wasn't so laggy, I'd kept it but just returned it today to wait for number 2. At least I got shsh's saved on it and the other one I had to help someone else one day.

Digg huh? Kinda like AOL, a distant memory. All about the Reddit now.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Marcase View Post
    Can't say that it does for sure but I think the Verizon logo on the device is a big indicator that you are going to have to purchase it through a carrier.
    You will most likely be able to buy it outright (at full retail which I am sure will be comparable to that of the iPad) or you can sign a contract and cut that price in half or less. I am pretty sure that is how they work with ALL of their hardware. Just because it is branded doesn't mean you can't walk out of the store with one and without a contract, you simply pay a higher upfront cost.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Vacation Hold means product is out
    Making an announcement does NOT require Apple to put on a Vacation hold. Vacation holds are when an actual product will be on sale. There is no reason an announcement would make more work (is there???) SO SOMETHING IS BEING RELEASED when those vacation holds are in effect!

Quote Originally Posted by goodluck4287 View Post
    Digg huh? Kinda like AOL, a distant memory. All about the Reddit now.
    I was gonna say the same! Just Kevin rose trying to get back in the spotlight!

iPhone? More like MyPhone phoenix81's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj0528 View Post
    Should I return my iPad and wait?

So hard to take it back....
    Take it back and buy another. Then you have a new return period. :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast