Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lenovo, Asus Reveal iPad Rivals Ahead of CES 2011

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Lenovo, Asus Reveal iPad Rivals Ahead of CES 2011

The 2011 Consumer Electronics Show is going to be all about the tablets - an inevitable reality given the huge success enjoyed by Apple last year as the lone superpower in the contemporary tablet marketplace. And while Apple's touchscreen tablet may remain the top dog among tablets in 2011, it's certainly no longer going to be lonely within its category. With each passing day it seems another "iPad challenger" emerges. And CES 2011 is already ramping up their introductions.

On Tuesday evening, Lenovo unveiled to the media its 10.1-inch Google Android-based tablet called the LePad. The touchscreen device will run Android 2.2 and has a 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. According to Computerworld, the LePad will initially go on sale in the Chinese market early this year. The tablet is expected to see a price tag of somewhere between $399 and $449. A US version has not be slated yet, although Lenovo is believed to be planning a US version that would connect to the Android Market. During the second half of 2011, however, Lenovo plans to release "several" Android-based tablets in the US, about which no details have yet been given.

While Lenovo was busy talking up its 2011 slate of tablets, Asus was also busy jockeying for position in the market. According to CrunchGear, the company plans to release three distinct families of tablet-esque devices - devices that represent a catch-all of the various established and not-so-established features common to the present tablet world. First up will be the Eee Slate, which will run you about $1000. It's a straightforward Tablet PC that runs Windows 7. It serves up an Intel Core i5 with 2 or 4GB of RAM, a 64GB SSD, and a 12.1 inch 1280x800 IPS stylus-compatible screen.

Later this spring, Asus will roll out the Eee Pad Transformer, which has been described as the tablet most like the iPad. It will sport NVIDIA's ARM-based Tegra 2 application processor and a 1280x800 IPS touchscreen. Unlike the first-generation iPad, however, it will deliver both front and rear facing cameras - something to nicely complement its miniHDMI video output, a miniUSB port, and a microSD card slot.

Last but not least in June, Asus will release the "mini-me" of tablets officially dubbed the MiMO. It will have a 7-inch screen and pack into a small frame some of the features common to larger tablets. It will deliver a snazzy dual-core Qualcomm 8260 Snapdragon ARM application processor and maintain the bells and whistles of other Asus tablet offerings, like front and rear cameras. The MiMo will run Google's Android 3.0.

ComputerWorld
    CrunchGear
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 01-05-2011 at 10:35 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to McMichael96 For This Useful Post:

Tfost (01-05-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

CES is scheduled to have between 80-100 tablets on display this year. Many of them will never see the production line and the ones that do will be available "later this year". Some are running Android 2.1, others 2.2 while a few are supposed to be released with 3.0 which fragments the market even further when paired with different screen sizes and different resolutions. Some apps will be written and compatible with some devices while others won't. I see "the year of tablets" being a consumer disaster.

Bring on the iPad 2... when can I pre-order?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (01-05-2011), kuhndsn (01-05-2011), stellan0r (01-05-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    CES is scheduled to have between 80-100 tablets on display this year. Many of them will never see the production line and the ones that do will be available "later this year". Some are running Android 2.1, others 2.2 while a few are supposed to be released with 3.0 which fragments the market even further when paired with different screen sizes and different resolutions. Some apps will be written and compatible with some devices while others won't. I see "the year of tablets" being a consumer disaster.

yeah it's sad to see so many garbage from the ces

lots of hardware talk, not enough information about how apps will work with the many variations of android tablets. yup, it's gonna get messy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hypoetical For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (01-05-2011)

LePad, is known this word from Dodol,--> Dodol Li dodol LePad....

Google is missing one major thing...a centralized program far any tablet or phone, running android, to connect to. I don't wanna have to go DL another program everytime I change phones, to succeed they need something like iTunes! someplace I can backup and sync anything android that I have

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Google doesn't have a cloud? Oh wait, they already sync with every major device out there. I am most interested in win7. I don't want a half baked OS.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Google doesn't have a cloud? Oh wait, they already sync with every major device out there. I am most interested in win7. I don't want a half baked OS.
    Uh sarcasm I hope? Seriously the UI for WP7 is worse than XP!!! I really don't get why when you change pages you see all of the page that you're on and like 5-7% of the next page... WTF is that about? Seriously the UI is so so unpolished and doesn't even qualify as half baked. I really don't understand why people even use, like and want to develop for this platform!?!?! Hell the last iteration of MS' attempt at a mobile OS was better than this, I mean come on no copy and paste at this day in age, iOS should have had that in 1.0 or at least 2.x! Any how this whole concept of hubs in WP7 is something that seems far too overly simplistic, it almost feels like the dumb phone of smart phones! I guess I can see a non-techie using it, ie - a soccer mom. Even then there is way too much brand recognition as far as iPhones, Android phones and black berry's for WP7 to really be viable amongst the non tech demographic and honestly most techies these days are on iOS or Android! While android was quite half-baked in it's early iterations it has come a long way at this point! Honestly it needs a bit more polishing and some way to deal with version/resolution/ram/CPU fragmentation! I can't wait to see what Google has in store for honeycomb and the next version of it's mobile phone OS. I would love to own a both an iPhone and some sort of android mobile(maybe an Evo or Galaxy S) and an iPad + Honeycomb tablet! Just my 2 cents!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you talking about Windows on a phone or on a pad? I am talking about the full blown Windows 7 OS on a tablet, not that crappy looking W7 phone OS.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

That Motorola tablet seems to be legit competitor but the only downside is that stupid name.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SMokemyPole88 View Post
    That Motorola tablet seems to be legit competitor but the only downside is that stupid name.
    A year ago the name "iPad" was a funny name. Nowadays, many people carry an iPad with them everyday (no pun intended).LOL

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post

That's Crazy!

That one looks cool in the picture. Detaches from the keyboard
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!