+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Source: iPad 2 Getting USB Port

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Not only is Eldar Murtazin the venerable editor-in-chief of the Mobile Review blog , he is also widely regarded as a reliable fountain of insider knowledge in the tech world.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Source: iPad 2 Getting USB Port

Not only is Eldar Murtazin the venerable editor-in-chief of the Mobile Review blog, he is also widely regarded as a reliable fountain of insider knowledge in the tech world. Given his reputation, many are taking his latest report as a confirmation of Apple's plans for the iPad 2 - at least with regard to one particular new feature. According to Murtazin, the second generation iPad is definitely getting a USB port.

Talked with colleague which working with some ODM vendors connected with Apple. He is research guy. According to his sources iPad2 will have usb port.
    The present lack of a USB port has been an habitual thorn in the side of many gadget gurus and tablet aficionados. For the time being, iPad users only have the option of purchasing an adapter that connects to the device's 30-pin slot. The limited functionality and awkward connectivity of the present arrangement is a major source of complaint among iPad owners who are otherwise perfectly content with the touchscreen tablet.

All signs now point to the second generation iPad's release during the first quarter of 2011. On Tuesday, MMi reported that the latest insider news pertaining to the refreshed tablet indicates that the iPad 2 will join Wi-Fi-only and UMTS models with a new (Verizon-compatible) CDMA version. iPad shipment estimates for 2011 are widely pegged at approximately 40 million units.

Twitter

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (12-29-2010), tails4 (12-29-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sweet, can't wait. Definitely picking one up.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If it is a first quarter release I don't see it happening until late March. This would coincide roughly with the "annual" refresh cycle Apple has and space out the iPad, iPhone, and iPod releases by 90 days respectively. This is done strategically so people can save up in between and don't have to shell out as much money at once. Damn I need some Apple stock!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (12-29-2010), Snozberries (12-29-2010), steveo1984 (12-29-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I hear a lot of talking..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's a great news!

Thanks

Not gonna happen.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

But WTF are people so pushy about USB...what do u want to connect so badly for no reason on a port that won't have that much power ?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

Imahottguy (12-30-2010), moon#pie (12-29-2010)

Thanks

Even if this is true, and there's really no way to know right now, I see only limited use for a USB port on the iPad. Maybe I'm wrong, and if so someone please correct me, but what can you use the port for except photos and iWorks documents? If the port is to have further use Apple will have to expand the types of things the iPad can do with files (like iFile). Plus, wouldn't a USB port be a step in the wrong direction for Apple? I thought they were trying to advance towards a state of all wireless data transfer, as well as as few ports/slots as necessary on their various devices. I just don't see the logic in an iPad with a USB port.

Thanks

Is it going to be a 'high power' USB port?
    Could I charge the iPad by plugging it into itself?
    Or will this somehow violate the laws of causality?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quidam_brujah For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (12-29-2010), Snozberries (12-29-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i dont know about you guys but adding a usb port to a ipad would atleast for me make it look kinda ugly

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I agree with above... what would be the uses for a USB port?

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd like to charge my iPhone via iPad USB port.

Thanks

I am with a lot of you. First I was like DANG IT!!! cause I have iPad G1. But thinking about it, what is a USB port going to do. I dont see Apple letting you load music from a thumb drive, or running iFile, etc. O, but you can connect a camera. ok, well how about just the memory card, you will still need a usb adapter for memory cards. I dont know. It would be more convenient with a jailbroken ipad and hooking up external hard drives etc.

if Apple really wants to make a splash, they will develop an external wireless drive to be an accessory to the iPad and the new MacBook Air.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

If all these rumors are true then Apple really doesn't add anything useful to any product until gen 2. They get everyone all hyper up on the iPad so that millions buy it, and then add all the really useful features in the 2nd version so that everyone has to buy it all over again. It's just like the iPod touch. How many people bought the 1st gen iPod? How many more bought the 2nd gen? I'm glad I read news forums like this so that I can know when to make my purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks

If it's not a fully functional USB port it will obviously have limited appeal and use. By fully functional I mean able to charge devices, read/run files from it and copy to and from the usb. If it has that, it's a day 1 buy from me. I'd like to run iTunes from an external hard drive and not have all my songs and apps taking up all the memory on the iPad.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Zenitram For This Useful Post:

Dominicsky (12-29-2010)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    If it is a first quarter release I don't see it happening until late March. This would coincide roughly with the "annual" refresh cycle Apple has and space out the iPad, iPhone, and iPod releases by 90 days respectively. This is done strategically so people can save up in between and don't have to shell out as much money at once. Damn I need some Apple stock!
    Don't talk about Apple stock... I remember a while back this one guy said something about Apple stock and it was like 89.00 a share..... wish I would have bought into it back then.... he said buy it while you can and enjoy the ride...

Wish I would have did what he said.... I think of this often... now I could kick myself for not doing it...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

Imahottguy (12-30-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

usb would be cool but lets be real....its about to be the year 2011....im trying to get rid of wires all together....release a oem itunes sync please and start making hard drives wireless

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sub zero View Post
    usb would be cool but lets be real....its about to be the year 2011....im trying to get rid of wires all together....release a oem itunes sync please and start making hard drives wireless
    Exactly. Why do we have to jailbreak to get wireless iTunes sync? This is the kind of feature that should come stock. Apple would do much better to introduce some kind of wireless syncing system on the iPad than an old USB port.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DisneyRicky's Avatar
    Thanks

I could see this USB thing depleting all of our battery quickly! It also is using the iPad's battery to power the external device.
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

this would allow app makers to incorporate some better peripherals, but in the grand scheme of things it would seem to only benefit backwards-compatibility.
    Really?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast