Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Source: iPad 2 Getting USB Port

iPhone? More like MyPhone Team Infecti0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McMichael96 View Post
    it would be nice to sync my iphone with my ipad
    That would be nice. If they implemented an advances version of an iTunes App in the iPad. Ability so Sync and all that. It would be a must-have if they do make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    I'd like to charge my iPhone via iPad USB port.
    Great so you got an extra 10% charge on your iPhone...Now your iPad is dead...what now? Gonna charge your iPad off a friends iPad now? Or plug it in? Wait...then u shouldn't just plugged your iPhone in first duuuhhhh....people wanting a damn USB in an iPad are more annoying with sensless demands as everything coming out in 3D...3D movies , 3D TV..as if I want to wear damn 3D glasses to watch tv...
    Last edited by z3r01; 12-30-2010 at 02:30 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (12-30-2010)

USB and a removable battery? LoL

It's gonna be tough to squeeze in a USB port if it's getting thinner too. Didn't I see on hear someone rumored it was getting slimmer as well?

Thanks

It is getting slimmer. They say a bit slimmer than the iPhone 4. Now that you mention it a USB port not might fit... Wait! They'll probably have a MINI USB PORT so it can be connected to any PC, not an entire USB port! Woah never thought of that! If Apple wants to make even more money they'll make a micro USB port, and if the Apple MicroUSB cable breaks it'll be a little annoying finding another one. Almost everyone is familiar with MiniUSB.

The camera kit supports USB keyboards but hard drives only work after jailbreak.

As for waiting to G2, you can wait for ever and never have an iPad as well...

Thanks

You never know, they may make it a hard drive if they wanted to. Good marketing plan.

Thanks

Agreed...just give us what we want already, as it only equals more $$ for Apple!! WIN WIN situation!

AGREED! What would we use it for?? As far as media or any other file or folder, I can just SSH into any Apple product with jailbreak. But It would be nice if Apple allowed us to have more control natively over our idev. We shall see we shall see....

Now that would be awesome!! I'm looking for the same functionality. At this time if Apple wants to stay competitive, they will have to rethink the USB port and its function....can't wait!!
    Last edited by bigboyz; 12-30-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Me either, this would be an amazing feature!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    A functional USB port would be handy in a couple of ways:

1) USB Flash drives are still useful when you want to transfer data quickly between devices that aren't on the same network.

BTW, this actually still works under OS4.2.1 if you're Jailbroken and have iFile installed--- sort of! The USB Camera kit gives an error when you plug a flash drive in, but it turns out that the SD card adapter doesn't! So, the SD Camera kit adapter+ Card works just like a regular flash drive. I use some neat SD cards that have a USB adapter built-in that are perfect for this application.

SanDisk Ultra II 4GB Class 4 SDHC Plus USB Memory Card - Go From Camera To Computer Without A Card Reader! SanDisk SDSDPH-4096

You can pop a few movies onto the card and then watch them directly on the iPad via iFile, without getting iTunes syncing involved or taking any space on the iPad.

2) USB Audio adapters are pretty much the ONLY way to get high quality audio input on the iPad. The Blue Yeti microphone is one example that provides extremely good results. So if you want to use your iPad as a mobile multitrack recorder, this is the best option. The 4.2.1 update tried to kill that option, by introducing an artificial low limit on the amount of power a USB device can draw. (20ma instead of 100ma) Fortunately, there's a workaround for that as well. It turns out that certain USB hubs work even when they are not powered. So you can still use the Yeti (and other audio interfaces), by putting a small hub in the chain, and then the iPad will power it all just fine.

It would be much better of course, if we didn't have to use these workarounds. With a functional USB port, these tasks would be much simpler.

P.S. Eat your hearts out, I bought my Apple stock at $120, not quite the low, but a darn good profit. =)

Not useful at all. Apple won't let iFile in the App Store since it gives the user too much "expert" access to the file system. Not to mention, iFile uses the cam connect kit in a way other than what Apple intended it for. Sorry, but a regular USB port = completely useless. They will not allow the end user to sync any devices to it (though I think it would be great to be able to sync my shuffle on the go!), nor will they allow any access to the file system. With their limitations, USB won't be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by McMichael96 View Post
    it would be nice to sync my iphone with my ipad
    It would be nice, but they would never allow it.

The only USB I can foresee iPad getting would be micro USB, because of Europe standardizing micro USB in mobile devices. This is a bit of a stretch, as the 30-pin connector is really the Apple standard for connectivity... Another stretch would be because the new ATV 2G has a Micro USB, but again, it is a giant stretch.

I am so tired of the USB on iPad!?!? articles. It isn't going to happen, so get over it! Seriously, how many "insiders" are going to keep saying this? How about the "insiders" predict something a little more accurate, such as "iPad 2G will come out next year, for sure!"? Sorry, but this is not news!!!!
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

I won't bother quoting that beast, but Micro/Mini USB does make sense. I'm there with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Not useful at all. Apple won't let iFile in the App Store since it gives the user too much "expert" access to the file system. Not to mention, iFile uses the cam connect kit in a way other than what Apple intended it for. Sorry, but a regular USB port = completely useless. They will not allow the end user to sync any devices to it (though I think it would be great to be able to sync my shuffle on the go!), nor will they allow any access to the file system. With their limitations, USB won't be useful.

It would be nice, but they would never allow it.

The only USB I can foresee iPad getting would be micro USB, because of Europe standardizing micro USB in mobile devices. This is a bit of a stretch, as the 30-pin connector is really the Apple standard for connectivity... Another stretch would be because the new ATV 2G has a Micro USB, but again, it is a giant stretch.

I am so tired of the USB on iPad!?!? articles. It isn't going to happen, so get over it! Seriously, how many "insiders" are going to keep saying this? How about the "insiders" predict something a little more accurate, such as "iPad 2G will come out next year, for sure!"? Sorry, but this is not news!!!!
    You're welcome to disagree with me, however, just because you wouldn't find it useful doesn't mean that's true for everyone. Do a little search on "iPhone USB EU" if you want global proof.

Your argument seems to be "It doesn't matter if you are successful & productive using your device in this way, because Apple will never approve of your behavior." Umm, I'm really OK without their approval or yours. It would still be extremely useful to me.

Thanks

All right guys let's get it together, focus on the topic here. He has his opinion, you have yours. No need to bash one saying it's wrong... Stick with your own opinion and keep it to yourself. At ease guys

it be cool! to transfer music if forget connect ipad but if u have it stored on usb and storing from ur email and other stuff. But on the the other hand the music has to be from itunes. now if jailbroken maybe even more can be done so....bring it i say.

Thanks

If they can make it a USB Mass Storage Device like I want it to be, they could make folders in which you can put music and videos without the need of iTunes. Now that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Infecti0n View Post
    If they can make it a USB Mass Storage Device like I want it to be, they could make folders in which you can put music and videos without the need of iTunes. Now that would be cool.
    and that will lead to piracy which they wont do...it can be manipulated to share music...wont happen....like i said, there really isnt a need for USB other then storing your photos in from a device/camera which an accessory already exists for it...now as far as extra storage...i dont see that happening as apple wants the ipad to be portable right? how portable will a device be if u have to drag a usb keyboard along with the charger...very tedious if u ask me. then i thought about third party add-on accessories but then thats why apple wants developers to take advantage of the 30 pin connector so the devs can make more money selling said accessory. so you see , hab=ving a usb add on is just as dumb as having a 3D television which u can only use for 3D movies and thats it...
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    and that will lead to piracy which they wont do...it can be manipulated to share music...wont happen....like i said, there really isnt a need for USB other then storing your photos in from a device/camera which an accessory already exists for it...now as far as extra storage...i dont see that happening as apple wants the ipad to be portable right? how portable will a device be if u have to drag a usb keyboard along with the charger...very tedious if u ask me. then i thought about third party add-on accessories but then thats why apple wants developers to take advantage of the 30 pin connector so the devs can make more money selling said accessory. so you see , hab=ving a usb add on is just as dumb as having a 3D television which u can only use for 3D movies and thats it...
    With all due respect, piracy is ALREADY occurring and HAS BEEN occurring. You just run frostwire or whatever and stick the music in iTunes and then to your iPod lol... Won't make a difference

i only think, external storage (hdd, dvd)

Thanks

It's either making it a portable mass storage device, or there is no use of this happening.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I agree with above... what would be the uses for a USB port?
    that my question
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast