+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Source: iPad 2 Getting USB Port

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Yeah, other than doing away with having to use the adapter what benefit does a USB port have to the ipad? Isn't the OS that doesn't allow for file transfer?
    iPhone? More like MyPhone oscar25's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, other than doing away with having to use the adapter what benefit does a USB port have to the ipad? Isn't the OS that doesn't allow for file transfer?

Thanks

My "sources" are saying shut up. We've seen this article written every week for the last two months
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (12-29-2010), Imahottguy (12-30-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    My "sources" are saying shut up. We've seen this article written every week for the last two months
    Amen to that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't care about the USB, but it would come in handy for connecting you digital camera that about it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this could be useful on a jailbroken device. having the ability to transfer photos from a camera, access expandable memory, even using flashdrives to transfer data, all only possible by using jailbroken apps that provide filesystem access

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can see the iPad with cameras and a USB port but apple most likely going to put a power limit on it so you can only plug in special apple hard drives that cost more than a standard hard drive but it would be cool to run iTunes on iPad and transfer apps to a iPod or iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rj5570 View Post
    if Apple really wants to make a splash, they will develop an external wireless drive to be an accessory to the iPad and the new MacBook Air.
    They have it... It's called time capsule. 1 terabyte or 2. Bring your checkbook

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Damn I need some Apple stock!
    aapl @ $325.29 (-0.06%) i aint that rich!!

Quote Originally Posted by rj5570 View Post
    I am with a lot of you. First I was like DANG IT!!! cause I have iPad G1. But thinking about it, what is a USB port going to do. I dont see Apple letting you load music from a thumb drive, or running iFile, etc. O, but you can connect a camera. ok, well how about just the memory card, you will still need a usb adapter for memory cards. I dont know. It would be more convenient with a jailbroken ipad and hooking up external hard drives etc.

if Apple really wants to make a splash, they will develop an external wireless drive to be an accessory to the iPad and the new MacBook Air.
    AirStash and wireless SC cards are already on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    all by MESSany??
    Last edited by Snozberries; 12-29-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

if there is a usb they have to change the ios... and thats not gonna happen

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder if they will be dropping the price of the 1st gen, or 2nd gen be high priced?? I just bought a 1st gen and can't wait for the new one. 1st gen RAM sucks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lmao

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    looks like this iPad 2 is coming with some useful features

Anyone wants my iPad for $400?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Nothing in life is easy.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Remember how disappointed we all were when the iPad was introduced. All we saw was fail this fail that lol. I've been using nothing but apple products for the past 4 years. One thing I've learned is don't get your hopes up on new software/hardware releases lol.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sub zero View Post
    Remember how disappointed we all were when the iPad was introduced. All we saw was fail this fail that lol. I've been using nothing but apple products for the past 4 years. One thing I've learned is don't get your hopes up on new software/hardware releases lol.
    Only a fanboi would declare the iPad as fail.
    Really?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    If it is a first quarter release I don't see it happening until late March. This would coincide roughly with the "annual" refresh cycle Apple has and space out the iPad, iPhone, and iPod releases by 90 days respectively. This is done strategically so people can save up in between and don't have to shell out as much money at once. Damn I need some Apple stock!
    I need some apple stock too, wish it wasn't so high... but then again i thought that was high until i looked at googles which is ridonkulous and i thought apples would be more....
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    But WTF are people so pushy about USB...what do u want to connect so badly for no reason on a port that won't have that much power ?
    Yeah, as it is they lowered the voltage in the last update so now practically nothing works anymore on my USB adapter plug.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Team Infecti0n's Avatar
    Thanks

If a USB port should EVER be implemented on the iPad, it would be to use the iPad as a flash drive as well, store anything on that 64gb beast, or 32gb. Making it a storage device would be smart, but hey that's Apple's call.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

A functional USB port would be handy in a couple of ways:

1) USB Flash drives are still useful when you want to transfer data quickly between devices that aren't on the same network.

BTW, this actually still works under OS4.2.1 if you're Jailbroken and have iFile installed--- sort of! The USB Camera kit gives an error when you plug a flash drive in, but it turns out that the SD card adapter doesn't! So, the SD Camera kit adapter+ Card works just like a regular flash drive. I use some neat SD cards that have a USB adapter built-in that are perfect for this application.

SanDisk Ultra II 4GB Class 4 SDHC Plus USB Memory Card - Go From Camera To Computer Without A Card Reader! SanDisk SDSDPH-4096

You can pop a few movies onto the card and then watch them directly on the iPad via iFile, without getting iTunes syncing involved or taking any space on the iPad.

2) USB Audio adapters are pretty much the ONLY way to get high quality audio input on the iPad. The Blue Yeti microphone is one example that provides extremely good results. So if you want to use your iPad as a mobile multitrack recorder, this is the best option. The 4.2.1 update tried to kill that option, by introducing an artificial low limit on the amount of power a USB device can draw. (20ma instead of 100ma) Fortunately, there's a workaround for that as well. It turns out that certain USB hubs work even when they are not powered. So you can still use the Yeti (and other audio interfaces), by putting a small hub in the chain, and then the iPad will power it all just fine.

It would be much better of course, if we didn't have to use these workarounds. With a functional USB port, these tasks would be much simpler.

P.S. Eat your hearts out, I bought my Apple stock at $120, not quite the low, but a darn good profit. =)
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 12-29-2010 at 07:41 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Team Infecti0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice, but just having it as a mass storage devices would be enough, should they ever do it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

it would be nice to sync my iphone with my ipad
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.