+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: iPad 2 to Have Wi-Fi-only, UMTS, CDMA Models

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Although the second generation iPad isn't likely to debut for several more months, a steady stream of reports about the iPad 2 continues to keep the forthcoming Apple tablet refresh
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Report: iPad 2 to Have Wi-Fi-only, UMTS, CDMA Models

Although the second generation iPad isn't likely to debut for several more months, a steady stream of reports about the iPad 2 continues to keep the forthcoming Apple tablet refresh in the forefront of tech news. On Tuesday, word broke that the iPad 2 will join Wi-Fi-only and UMTS models with a new (Verizon-compatible) CDMA version.

From DigiTimes:
    Apple is expected to release three versions of iPad 2, supporting either or a combination of Wi-Fi, UMTS and CDMA, for 2011 with mass production to start as early as the later half of January. Apple will ship about 500,000-530,000 units to channels in January with shipment ratio of Wi-Fi, UMTS and CDMA models at 3:4:3
    Despite the seemingly incredulous reaction to the report by many, news of a Verizon-friendly iPad shouldn't surprise anyone given Apple's already established relationship with Verizon with regard to the tablet. While similar reports of a forthcoming Verizon iPhone continue to be viewed as a pipe-dream by many (if not most), Apple working closely with Verizon to expand the iPad's reach now appears to be more of an inevitability rather than just a possibility.

The sources cited in the DigiTimes report indicate that iPad shipments in 2011 "will reach 40 million units," a figure that will account for approximately 65-75% of the entire global tablet PC market.

DigiTimes

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (12-28-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

I know I'm probably dreaming but it would be nice to have a T-Mobile 3G version of this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So it would be compatible with Att and Verizon? Wait UMTS? I dont see GSM!!!!!
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    I know I'm probably dreaming but it would be nice to have a T-Mobile 3G version of this.
    Dude there hasn't even been any speculation of that to even happen.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    So it would be compatible with Att and Verizon? Wait UMTS? I dont see GSM!!!!!
    UMTS combines three different air interfaces, GSM's Mobile Application Part (MAP) core, and the GSM family of speech codecs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

fittorrent (01-01-2011), iphone?3gs (12-28-2010), Snozberries (12-28-2010), stlcaddie (12-28-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I still see kinda pointless the non wifi version, since most of the ipad owners have an iphone or smartphone capable of tethering, it just don't see the reason to spend extra 30 a month for data... on the other side (now that I think about it) TONS of people are not tech oriented to even know that tethering exist.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    I still see kinda pointless the non wifi version, since most of the ipad owners have an iphone or smartphone capable of tethering, it just don't see the reason to spend extra 30 a month for data... on the other side (now that I think about it) TONS of people are not tech oriented to even know that tethering exist.
    This is very true. The only thing bad about tethering is it eats your iPhone's battery like candy. Not a problem if you plug it in and tether like most smart people do.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
    Dude there hasn't even been any speculation of that to even happen.
    That's why I said I'm dreaming for that to happen. It's not like it can't be done since there are some devices that can do both ATT and TMO 3G.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    This is very true. The only thing bad about tethering is it eats your iPhone's battery like candy. Not a problem if you plug it in and tether like most smart people do.
    I dont own a ipad but just curious looking to purchase the ipad 2 and terher via my phone, curious though is there lag and is internet connection slow vs say if you were paying for a 3G plan? Or is it pretty much the same?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    I dont own a ipad but just curious looking to purchase the ipad 2 and terher via my phone, curious though is there lag and is internet connection slow vs say if you were paying for a 3G plan? Or is it pretty much the same?
    Just depends on your connection. If you're with AT&T and you're paying for a data plan you also have to pay another $20 for tethering, I believe its the same with Verizon, it sucks! Obviously its nice to not have to have your phone with you everywhere if you want to connect via tethering; plus, as mentioned above it drains your battery. Just comes down to what you prefer.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 12-28-2010 at 12:09 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ash3s2012's Avatar
    Thanks

I use mywi on my iPhone 4 to share internet on my computer And i got a letter from AT&T saying We have notice that u use more than 20 Gbites mostly we recommend u to use ur wifi Internet at home or u can use our wife hotspots lol that's y I pay AT&T unlimited data plan now they r complaining I used alot of data lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ash3s2012 View Post
    I use mywi on my iPhone 4 to share internet on my computer And i got a letter from AT&T saying We have notice that u use more than 20 Gbites mostly we recommend u to use ur wifi Internet at home or u can use our wife hotspots lol that's y I pay AT&T unlimited data plan now they r complaining I used alot of data lol
    excuse me but how the hell do you download 20gb on 3G? what do you leave torrents on all day/night?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewe13 View Post
    excuse me but how the hell do you download 20gb on 3G? what do you leave torrents on all day/night?
    Duhhhh

I downloaded around 110 gb in just 1 month using 700 kbps unlimited plan

and with 3G u get around 1.5 mbps of download speed

Hence 20gb is nothing, if u ask me

iPhone? More like MyPhone ash3s2012's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewe13 View Post
    I don't even use torrent tho since I jailbreaked my iPhone with limera1n I have uploaded 12.88 GB and downloaded 102 GB just using like a Normal person does uploading videos on YouTube downloading games n themes there is a toggle on cydia called data usege tells u hom much data u have used

Thanks

I wish Apple would just give all carriers, the ability and support to sell the iPhone and iPad...it would be a WIN WIN!! Apple would maintain control over the device and the carrier controls the plan. Too simple right...of course it is...!! GREED, manipulation, control, ego...the list could go on. I love Apple and all of my Apple devices. I would like to see apple "relax" a bit and give the consumer what it has been begging for! Sell the iPhone unlocked for $600 in America, make it available on all carriers, give us the excellent Apple support we've grown to love and call it a day. Apple is the 3rd largest phone manufacturer last i checked (on one carrier in the U.S.) if they were on even one more, they could be 1st....time will tell :]

I can dream can't i?? haha!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I only tether to do web browsing.. I leave my downloads for home internet since ATT sucks in DL speeds and depending on the day, sometimes I do 50gb in one day, so cable rulez at 16mb/s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Just depends on your connection. If you're with AT&T and you're paying for a data plan you also have to pay another $20 for tethering, I believe its the same with Verizon, it sucks! Obviously its nice to not have to have your phone with you everywhere if you want to connect via tethering; plus, as mentioned above it drains your battery. Just comes down to what you prefer.
    What im saying is whats faster...

iPhone 4 and MyWi tether > iPad

3G data plan > iPad

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

What im saying is whats faster...

iPhone 4 and MyWi tether > iPad

3G data plan > iPad
    The difference is rather insignificant. My mom bought my dad the 3G model for his birthday last year (despite my constant instruction to get the wifi version... salesmen love her) and he had a data plan for a couple of months until I explained the benefits of jailbreaking his iPhone and just tethering. He said he noticed a very slight decrease in speed, but that he would never noticed it had he gotten the wifi model to begin with.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

bobright (12-28-2010)

Thanks

Ooorrrr they could make one model with all the radios built in! ;D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    true.. I use my iPhone 4, wifi on my iPad..