+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: iPad 2 to Have Wi-Fi-only, UMTS, CDMA Models

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by dq13 I still see kinda pointless the non wifi version, since most of the ipad owners have an iphone or smartphone capable of tethering, it just don't
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    I still see kinda pointless the non wifi version, since most of the ipad owners have an iphone or smartphone capable of tethering, it just don't see the reason to spend extra 30 a month for data... on the other side (now that I think about it) TONS of people are not tech oriented to even know that tethering exist.
    I have an iPad 3G and I can't imagine using it without a 3G data plan. The fact that anytime I use my iPad it's ALWAYS connected is wonderful. Whether I'm at the movies, a restaurant, sitting in a park, I always have access. I've even streamed video from my Slingbox while riding in the car. The convenience of 3G can't be beat.

True this can be done by tethering but I like the fact that I don't have to juggle two devices every time I use my iPad. I just turn it on, it's automatically connected, and it just works!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dash-2 View Post
    Ooorrrr they could make one model with all the radios built in! ;D
    Personally, I'd rather have one with wifi only and use that extra space to throw in another 32-64gb

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    The difference is rather insignificant. My mom bought my dad the 3G model for his birthday last year (despite my constant instruction to get the wifi version... salesmen love her) and he had a data plan for a couple of months until I explained the benefits of jailbreaking his iPhone and just tethering. He said he noticed a very slight decrease in speed, but that he would never noticed it had he gotten the wifi model to begin with.
    Right on that's great to know, I imagined speed wise it'd barely be noticeable.

If the new iPad 2 has a faster processor/more memory would the Internet browsing improve any??

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    UMTS combines three different air interfaces, GSM's Mobile Application Part (MAP) core, and the GSM family of speech codecs.
    Ok that's good to know.... I pressed the thanks button
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope the WiFI version has GPS in it this time round, I don't want to buy a 3G version just for GPS.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

Dranon (12-29-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post
    I have an iPad 3G and I can't imagine using it without a 3G data plan. The fact that anytime I use my iPad it's ALWAYS connected is wonderful. Whether I'm at the movies, a restaurant, sitting in a park, I always have access. I've even streamed video from my Slingbox while riding in the car. The convenience of 3G can't be beat.

True this can be done by tethering but I like the fact that I don't have to juggle two devices every time I use my iPad. I just turn it on, it's automatically connected, and it just works!
    MyWi is an app to just open and ur connected. No juggling reqUired. I tether my 16gb iPad and Air Video my content leaving gigs of free space on my iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Janet55's Avatar
    Thanks

Ahhh, "an unnamed source", the old "one" with today's rumored features and a new vague time frame. Apple didn't reveal any details, of course it won't until it makes a formal announcement sometime in the new year. Well, we can be sure there will be a new iPad within the next 12 months.

I even doubt this is only the advertisement for Apple before iPad 2 release?
    Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.
    How to Delete Duplicates in iPhoto

iPhone? More like MyPhone sandstorm77's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    That's why I said I'm dreaming for that to happen. It's not like it can't be done since there are some devices that can do both ATT and TMO 3G.
    I sold my iPhone after purchasing the iPad. There was no reason to have both. I just use a basic phone to make my calls from. I would much rather have the iPads big screen over the tiny iPhone screen. Plus I am grandfathered in to the unlimited data on the iPad. Woot!

I just hope I an carry that unlimited data over the the new iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Deos anyone know IF you can take the sim out of your iphone put it in the ipad and have it work/access data????
    I am using unlimited data on my iphone but I would like to get the unlimited data on the ipad and just go to a regular phone.

Thanks

Answer is YES! You can use any GSM chip to access data on the iPad...that was proven on it's first week of release Muscle Nerd cut his Tmobile chip, to fit inside of the micro slot.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Team Infecti0n's Avatar
    Thanks

A Verizon iPad? Now THAT is going to be good!

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I going to purchase the 3G model next year. I think it would nice to have. And if I don't want it one month then I don't have to pay.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Team Infecti0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Well that's good. Don't see the point of having a WiFi only model, I use my iDevice everywhere and anywhere. Only certain areas for connection is B.S. It's either 3G/4G or nothing.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    Right on that's great to know, I imagined speed wise it'd barely be noticeable.

If the new iPad 2 has a faster processor/more memory would the Internet browsing improve any??
    Well, possibly yes. Like any computer it has to process and render the pages and the data being received. But that will only be noticeable if Safari on ipad is slow now. If not, then you'll see no difference and the rest lies ultimately on your current data speed.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12