+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Slimmer 2011 iPad Gets Dual Cameras, Bigger Speaker?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Just in time for Christmas, Santa has brought us some new rumors about the iPad 2G, or - as I suspect it will be called - simply the 2011 iPad.
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Slimmer 2011 iPad Gets Dual Cameras, Bigger Speaker?

Just in time for Christmas, Santa has brought us some new rumors about the iPad 2G, or - as I suspect it will be called - simply the 2011 iPad. The details are subtle enough to be believable: as opposed to rumors that it will have a Retina Display, or will make the owner invisible or convey immortality, these reports merely describe an iPad in a slimmer case, with both front and rear facing cameras and something called a "wide-ranged speaker unit."

According to a report in the Japanese MACお宝鑑定団 blog (MacOtakara) "an anonymous Chinese source" claims that the next-generation iPad will be just slightly smaller than the current one, with a height of 239mm and a width of 186mm as opposed to 243 by 190 mm. The display itself will be the same size, addressing complaints by some users that the black border around the screen is too wide. Also, the back case will be flat "like an iPod touch," rather than tapered like the first generation model.

The source is also asserting that leaked photos that show an opening in the lower right of the rear panel is neither a USB connector nor a SD card slot, but rather a "large, wide-ranged speaker unit covered with metal mesh," which would allow for improved sound out of the device. MacOkatara apparently has less confidence in the report that the 2011 iPad will have two cameras: one in the front for FaceTime and a 5-megapixel rear camera like the iPhone's. Finally, the ambient light sensor is now just 3mm wide and is located on the top center of the case back. Everything else is reportedly the same, including the location of the WiFi and 3G antennas at the top of the device.

According to MacOkatara, the production lines have already been spinning up for the 2011 iPad, with a ship date targeted for mid to late January.

Source: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 12-23-2010 at 08:44 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

apoc (12-24-2010), CaryDude (12-29-2010)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Only a month to go when Apple should show as the 2nd gen iPad. Louder speaker, Retina Display, I may buy it but no AMOLED or OLED :/
    Instead of investing all that money in LCD tech, they should invest it in OLED Retina Display for iPad. I think AMOLED production is owned by Samsung.

Louder speaker is something that iPhone's have missed too.

I guess SHAtter being leaked, Apple will block the exploit in iPad 2!
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 12-23-2010 at 06:36 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

I want one if it has all that plus a bigger proseser and more RAM. (I would prefer 1GB but 512MB would be anuff.
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

There WILL BE NO Retina Display or OLED or AMOLED displays for the iPad. The price for such device would be astronomical. Apple does over-price their products, but I think even they know where to draw the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    Apple does over-price their products, but I think even they know where to draw the line.
    I somewhat agree with you, but not when it comes to the iPad. I distinctly remember thinking how great the pricing was when they first released it. How many tablets coming out now are only $499? I would like to see them throw in the 3G radio for that price, however...

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    There WILL BE NO Retina Display or OLED or AMOLED displays for the iPad. The price for such device would be astronomical. Apple does over-price their products, but I think even they know where to draw the line.
    For sure, it would be like 1000 for the 16GB. I want the front camera but the back camera I can do without since it's going to look funny taking pictures with the iPad. The iPad need at least 512 mb for ram, I think the 256 was too little. Ill get it either way though.

I do like the wide edges around the screen because since the display orientents to any direction you need a little for your fingers to hold it
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

I just sold my ipad last night for $660 in waiting for the release of the new one. People havent you gotten used to apple by now? they're not going to give you what you want until at least the 3rd if not 4th gen ipad.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
    For sure, it would be like 1000 for the 16GB. I want the front camera but the back camera I can do without since it's going to look funny taking pictures with the iPad. The iPad need at least 512 mb for ram, I think the 256 was too little. Ill get it either way though.

I do like the wide edges around the screen because since the display orientents to any direction you need a little for your fingers to hold it
    Well you're not really going to be taking pictures with a front camera anyway. That's mostly for FaceTime capability with iPod Touches and iPhones. I'd almost be upset if the iPad did not have a front-facing camera.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course! We've only heard a million rumors about it, so it must be true.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks

Just as I thought the writers cleaned up their Photoshop skills… lol. I don't really trust that source, either.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

h2a (12-23-2010)

Thanks
    A 2nd gen iPad without at least a front facing camera holds little appeal. People who don't already own an iPad - may or may not purchase one given it's potential limitations (i.e. no front camera, SD slot, USB, etc.).

However, you add those features and you can almost gurantee that people will purchase it PLUS those who already have one will sell their 1st gen iPdad to own a newer model.

Thanks

Wheres my goddam dual core and 1gb of ram!!!

Screw you apple Im getting a blackberry playbook or that motorola honeycomb android tablet with dual core if iPad 2 isnt.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

I DEFINATELY think that a louder speaker is a necessity. The lack of volume is one of the very few categories I wish was better on my current iPad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Wheres my goddam dual core and 1gb of ram!!!

Screw you apple Im getting a blackberry playbook or that motorola honeycomb android tablet with dual core if iPad 2 isnt.
    I love how you're yelling about unreliable rumors. Please tell me that was sarcastic? It's hard to detect in text.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    I somewhat agree with you, but not when it comes to the iPad. I distinctly remember thinking how great the pricing was when they first released it. How many tablets coming out now are only $499? I would like to see them throw in the 3G radio for that price, however...
    Great pricing? At $499 Apple is making nearly 100% profit over building cost for a WiFi only iPad. iSuppli: iPad's Actual Cost is $260

They priced it extremely high to give room to lower the price if it didn't sell well. Apple is laughing all the way to the bank that so many people are paying that amount.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ZOMG. EVERYBODY SELL EVERYTHING YOU CAN AND GET THIS IPAD YO! Your iPAD 1 has now become a paperweight no?

Just kidding....don't do any of that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

A OSX version ipad would be nice !

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple needs to stick with the screen they have and enhance it. As much as I love AMOLED and SAMOLED inside, they're worthless outdoors in the sunlight and cost a lot of sheckles.

Quote Originally Posted by bootloader View Post
    A OSX version ipad would be nice !
    I would love OSX on the iPad!
    Last edited by steve-z17; 12-24-2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Jesus, this is last time I browse the news site. THIS ISN'T NEWS! THIS IS BAD RUMORS! Please stop posting this and post real, important material! I have no respect for this part of the site.