+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Report: LCD, Not AMOLED Display for iPad 2

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,681
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

    Default Report: LCD, Not AMOLED Display for iPad 2



    On Wednesday morning, DigiTimes reported that Apple is now believed to have already decided on another key component supplier for the iPad 2. The Taiwanese industry publication dishes that Coretronic will supply backlight units to Chimei Innolux and LG Display. Chimei Innolux and LG will then make the LCD displays for the iPad 2.

    “Coretronic has reportedly entered the supply chain for the second generation iPad, and will supply BLUs to Chimei Innolux (CMI) and LG Display. It is understood that Coretronic is the only BLU supplier of CMI for iPad 2, while LG Display is getting iPad 2 BLUs from Coretronic and Radiant Opto-Electronics”
    The implication of the report is that the second-generation iPad will have an LCD, not AMOLED display (which doesn’t have a need for any form of back lighting). While many anticipated features of the iPad refresh are considered "no-brainers," like USB port and front and rear cameras, the type of screen to be used for the iPad upgrade has never been particularly clear. It now appears that folks anticipating an AMOLED display may have to wait for a third-generation iPad to get their wish.

    Despite inconsistencies in reports regarding what components and features will define the iPad 2, the consensus among suppliers and market analysts is that the second generation iPad will be on the market by the conclusion of 2011's first quarter. Suppliers, on the other hand, will naturally start shipments much sooner.

    DigiTimes

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

    CaryDude (12-08-2010), lunchbox69 (12-08-2010)

  3. #2
    iPhoneaholic spazturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    321
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts

    AMOLED is still relatively expensive so if Apple is planning on keeping the cost down AND increasing screen quality then LCD is the best option.

  4. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    As long as the resolution goes up to be on par with the iPhone 4 I'll be happy! I don't video chat on my iPhone so I don't think I would on an iPad. I never ever ever run below 50MB RAM even with a dozen mobile substrate apps installed so more RAM wouldn't entice me to upgrade. A USB port...? My 30pin connector does the job just fine. Ok so thinking "out loud"... unless the case design is super sexy and the screen res changes drastically.. or they come up with some MUST HAVE feature I don't see myself upgrading until iPad 3 which would be a first for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

    coolguy742 (12-09-2010), DayumQuitPlayin (12-09-2010)

  6. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    295
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 23 Times in 9 Posts

    Sigh

  7. #5
    Go Giants whereswaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,382
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 359 Times in 257 Posts

    Aren't LCDs really expensive? I thought it would bump up the price of the iPad drastically
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

  8. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    All Apple iDevices use LCD screens. Up until this year all high end TVs were LCD as well as all computer monitors. LED technology is new and expensive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

    whereswaldo (12-08-2010)

  10. #7
    Go Giants whereswaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,382
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 359 Times in 257 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    All Apple iDevices use LCD screens. Up until this year all high end TVs were LCD as well as all computer monitors. LED technology is new and expensive.
    You mean Messany lied to us? How dare he

  11. #8
    formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Spooner Street
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts

    Not sure it the display will change, but if they bump the other specs up I'm in.

  12. #9
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Thought so...
    Correct me if i'm wrong but I recall Steve Jobs saying something like " The retina display/resolution was only capable on a LCD screen" during his iphone 4 release

  13. #10
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 31 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    As long as the resolution goes up to be on par with the iPhone 4 I'll be happy! I don't video chat on my iPhone so I don't think I would on an iPad. I never ever ever run below 50MB RAM even with a dozen mobile substrate apps installed so more RAM wouldn't entice me to upgrade. A USB port...? My 30pin connector does the job just fine. Ok so thinking "out loud"... unless the case design is super sexy and the screen res changes drastically.. or they come up with some MUST HAVE feature I don't see myself upgrading until iPad 3 which would be a first for me.
    Hi, not meaning to troll here, but seriously, speak for yourself, Poseidon; the RAM on my iPad (which is currently running tethered 4.2.1) goes down to 12-20MB on a regular basis, and sometimes single digit if I'm loading up a drawing application or Pulse. More RAM is definitely needed, and will be needed if the device is to support fluid Facetime video chatting and the multitasking everyone had been promised for so long. Seriously, iOS4's multitasking is kinda nice, but I find myself having to quit multitask'd apps on a regular basis (with the tweak available on Cydia). This is also why there are "Remove iPhone 4/iPad Multitasking" tweaks available in Cydia.

    A healthy bump in CPU speed would be welcome as well, to stay competitive with other tablets coming into the market that hum along at 1GHz, but I'd really like for Apple to unlock the FM capabilities these devices have and unlock the bluetooth profiles for iPad and iPod Touch so that I can have private conversations with people over Facetime (or in other applications.. I'm looking at you, Groundwire).

    Also, you should turn on the SBSettings tweak that shows free memory next to the clock to really get an idea of memory usage.

  14. #11
    Green Apple StellarZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    If they adopt OLED, it'll show up in the iPhone first IMO.
    "Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower."
    - Steve Jobs

  15. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,740
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    As long as the resolution goes up to be on par with the iPhone 4 I'll be happy! I don't video chat on my iPhone so I don't think I would on an iPad. I never ever ever run below 50MB RAM even with a dozen mobile substrate apps installed so more RAM wouldn't entice me to upgrade. A USB port...? My 30pin connector does the job just fine. Ok so thinking "out loud"... unless the case design is super sexy and the screen res changes drastically.. or they come up with some MUST HAVE feature I don't see myself upgrading until iPad 3 which would be a first for me.
    FaceTime is one of the biggest gimmicks IMHO. Of the dozen or so iPhone 4 owners I know, including myself, have used FaceTime a collective total of about 35 minutes. I could see it being a good jobsite feature for letting HQ see the status/problem with something, but for just about every other situation a webcam and Skype does a much better job.

    I do think the device needs a boost in memory as I too find my iPad very low on ram on a rather regular basis.

    A USB port would be nice, but not required (and very unlikely). I'll take a higher res screen, more memory, 128gb storage (though I think they could easily fit 256 in it), and the typical battery upgrade.


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

  16. #13
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,403
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked 469 Times in 381 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    A USB port would be nice, but not required (and very unlikely). I'll take a higher res screen, more memory, 128gb storage (though I think they could easily fit 256 in it), and the typical battery upgrade.
    Way to think out side the box, there. Of course they're going to do all that stuff (maybe not the USB or 128 GB). In my opinion, that is not nearly enough to upgrade an iPad (I don't actually have one, because I have no need for it). Apple needs to start innovating or they're going to fall sorely behind. Half the stuff they add in OS upgrades is a polished version of a Cydia tweak, and if that's all they're adding to the iPad 2 it's not going to sell ahead of the Android tablets. Again, just my opinion.

  17. #14
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 31 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Apple needs to start innovating or they're going to fall sorely behind. Half the stuff they add in OS upgrades is a polished version of a Cydia tweak,
    Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. Its so ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    and if that's all they're adding to the iPad 2 it's not going to sell ahead of the Android tablets.
    Forget the Android tablets, just check out the Play Book. The thing is a hardware power-house.

    The best move Apple could make would be to switch to AMOLED, which would improve battery life without them investing in any new battery enhancements and would allow for tablet readability in sunlight settings. There's also really no reason Apple couldn't just push its hand down the throats of AMOLED manufacturers and get an even greater price discount off of ordering in mega bulk for its devices. People keep saying, "the technology is too expensive! Apple can't put in AMOLED because it would cost too much!" People don't seem to understand that major corporations like Apple, Microsoft, don't pay street-value for parts, especially not from China.

    It's probably just being held off until iPad 4. You know Apple.

  18. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    Hi, not meaning to troll here, but seriously, speak for yourself, Poseidon; the RAM on my iPad (which is currently running tethered 4.2.1) goes down to 12-20MB on a regular basis, and sometimes single digit if I'm loading up a drawing application or Pulse. More RAM is definitely needed, and will be needed if the device is to support fluid Facetime video chatting and the multitasking everyone had been promised for so long. Seriously, iOS4's multitasking is kinda nice, but I find myself having to quit multitask'd apps on a regular basis (with the tweak available on Cydia). This is also why there are "Remove iPhone 4/iPad Multitasking" tweaks available in Cydia.

    A healthy bump in CPU speed would be welcome as well, to stay competitive with other tablets coming into the market that hum along at 1GHz, but I'd really like for Apple to unlock the FM capabilities these devices have and unlock the bluetooth profiles for iPad and iPod Touch so that I can have private conversations with people over Facetime (or in other applications.. I'm looking at you, Groundwire).

    Also, you should turn on the SBSettings tweak that shows free memory next to the clock to really get an idea of memory usage.
    That whole rant of mine was me speaking for myself and only my own personal needs. Other people may need more ram.. I don't. That's why that post was all about ME.. Not a general statement about everyones wants needs and desires.


    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  19. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,740
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. Its so ridiculous.



    Forget the Android tablets, just check out the Play Book. The thing is a hardware power-house.

    The best move Apple could make would be to switch to AMOLED, which would improve battery life without them investing in any new battery enhancements and would allow for tablet readability in sunlight settings. There's also really no reason Apple couldn't just push its hand down the throats of AMOLED manufacturers and get an even greater price discount off of ordering in mega bulk for its devices. People keep saying, "the technology is too expensive! Apple can't put in AMOLED because it would cost too much!" People don't seem to understand that major corporations like Apple, Microsoft, don't pay street-value for parts, especially not from China.

    It's probably just being held off until iPad 4. You know Apple.
    The wide gaping hole in this argument is that the mega-bulk discounts would also come into play for lower priced alternatives, i.e. the lcd screens. Sure they will get them for much cheaper than the general public can, but they will still have a higher price per piece margin than they would for a similarly sized LCD screen. If their costs go up, then our costs go up. Keep on trollin'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Way to think out side the box, there. Of course they're going to do all that stuff (maybe not the USB or 128 GB). In my opinion, that is not nearly enough to upgrade an iPad (I don't actually have one, because I have no need for it). Apple needs to start innovating or they're going to fall sorely behind. Half the stuff they add in OS upgrades is a polished version of a Cydia tweak, and if that's all they're adding to the iPad 2 it's not going to sell ahead of the Android tablets. Again, just my opinion.
    No need for me to think out of the box on it, really. Sure I have another wish list for the 2nd gen iPad, but it is full of stuff that is purely fantasy (full OS, monster processor, etc.). I was simply stating my realistic hopes. Besides, Apple will always throw something in that didn't even cross my mind when wondering what I hoped for in the next revision of a particular product line.
    Last edited by mortopher; 12-08-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  20. #17
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,403
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked 469 Times in 381 Posts

    ^ Oh, ok, that makes sense.

  21. #18
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,233
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    The best move Apple could make would be to switch to AMOLED, which would improve battery life without them investing in any new battery enhancements and would allow for tablet readability in sunlight settings.
    Lol, think again! AMOLED screens suck in sunlight! My Nexus One has an AMOLED screen and I can't read jack when I go outside! So that would actually make things worse for the iPad. SAMOLED is a little better but still not as good as what I can see on my iPhone 4, which is everything. Check out the article.

  22. #19
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,558
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 176 Times in 126 Posts

    Not to mention I've yet to see any AMOLED screen, that has better resolution than the 4g!

  23. #20
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Any form of LED screen would be nice.

    iPad 2 hopefully has a higher res screen and more RAM.
    AMOLED screens are soo nice. I feel iPhone 5 will have an AMOLED screen.

    An LED backlit LCD screen should be on the iPad 2.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 12-09-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts