+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Clashing with Publishers Over Your Credit Card Info

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
In case you're wondering why all the cool magazines and newspapers you were expecting to see on the iPad haven't turned up yet on the tablet, various reports and inside
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Clashing with Publishers Over Your Credit Card Info

In case you're wondering why all the cool magazines and newspapers you were expecting to see on the iPad haven't turned up yet on the tablet, various reports and inside accounts this week are shedding some light on the situation. You see, when Apple gets stubborn, there's no use in fighting them. That's a lesson many publishers are learning when it comes to ironing out details to bring new and emerging digital publications to the iPad.

New reports have surfaced suggesting that Apple's continuing refusal to share subscriber credit card data with publishers hoping to bring their content to Apple's hugely popular tablet has become a major obstacle in forging working relationships.

No shortage of magazines, newspapers, and other periodicals looking to sell their subscription-based content through iTunes initially sought to wrangle Apple into a deal that would have allowed the various publishers to sell the digital iPad subscriptions themselves. But no dice, said Apple, which continues to offer a 70/30 split (70% to publishers, 30% to Apple) to content providers who bring their material to the iPad. Once Apple got its way in this argument, publishers began requesting to obtain the personal user information of subscribers, including credit card information.

No dice yet again. Apple, instead, will (allegedly) only offer users an "opt-in form" that gathers and relays to publishers limited, but user-sanctioned information, like name, email, and mailing address. But no credit card data. As a natural consequence of refusing to yield to the demands of consistently displeased prospective (and current) publishing partners, Apple has struggled to bulk up its digital content offerings - a situation unlikely to change unless Apple's policies similarly change.

CreditNet

Green Apple
    Thanks

I actually like this policy from apple. The last thing I need is for my credit card info. to be made available to 3rd parties when I am dealing with Apple as the front man. As long as the publisher is getting paid, that should be enough information for them.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FlyingJoey For This Useful Post:

cpkirkley (12-07-2010), kingbijan (12-07-2010), lightmaster (12-09-2010), metalmaster420 (12-08-2010), politicalslug (12-07-2010), Poseidon79 (12-07-2010), therockk (12-07-2010), thetoothfairy (12-07-2010), VaderForce (12-08-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJoey View Post
    I actually like this policy from apple. The last thing I need is for my credit card info. to be made available to 3rd parties when I am dealing with Apple as the front man. As long as the publisher is getting paid, that should be enough information for them.
    True. These publishing companies trade data all day everyday. You ever wonder why you receive mail from companies people that you know you have never associated yourself with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to saunupe1911 For This Useful Post:

gokey666 (12-07-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't be confused though. This has nothing to do with Apple protecting your credit card info. They just don't want the publishers to be able to go direct. They want their 30% It's Apple the proprietary. We all know they wouldn't have it any other way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sparksjr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Don't be confused though. This has nothing to do with Apple protecting your credit card info. They just don't want the publishers to be able to go direct. They want their 30% It's Apple the proprietary. We all know they wouldn't have it any other way.
    How would they go direct and bypass Apple and still get the magazines on the iPad?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparksjr View Post
    How would they go direct and bypass Apple and still get the magazines on the iPad?
    Exactly... all content comes thru iTunes.

Thanks

That's exactly how i feel. It makes you wonder why the Publishers are so eager to get the customers credit card information!

Thanks

Yeah... I'm Ok with this too: I went with PressDisplay because I wanted to deal with one 'distributor' and not have to deal with a dozen individual accounts. In this case, Apple (via iTunes) is the 'distributor' (or, to use the media metaphor, the 'newsstand'). If I'm picking up a copy of the WSJ, the Times and US magazine (or the Weekly World News ), why would I want to give them my CC info in order to grab maybe a single copy? Even if I drop by my 'newsstand' and pick up a paper or magazine on an irregular basis, I'm not giving them any more info than my money nor do they need it.

Of course Apple doesn't want them to make an end run. And they don't want to be dependent on Apple. But if they are the outlet, and I, the customer, want to go through Apple, then 'dems da rules'.

Quote Originally Posted by sparksjr View Post
    They could offer the magazine as a free app and use the in-app purchase to allow users access exclusive content with a subscription. I dont know if apple collects on in-app purchases tho.If they were smart they would put their product of cydia. No apple involved.
    -Dillberg-13

Banned
    Thanks

Your card info isn't shared with a publisher when you buy through amazon either. What's the problem here? OH! Now I see who wrote this rubbish, I'm not surprised. Stir up a storm where it doesn't exist mr messy? What a hack blogger you are. FYI in most countries where privacy laws are in place, an Etrader CAN'T share personal information without consent of the buyer and in most cases doing so is a breach of law. To extend this point, that would be like going into Walmart, buying a shirt and then Walmart giving my private info to the shirt maker?!?! WTF.

I don't go to a news stand, buy a copy of Time and then hand over my info for the publisher to have, why would I want my privacy violated when I buy an Emagazine?

The evil trade of selling of private information should be stopped, NOW! Why should anyone be allowed to profit from selling MY private info???????
    Last edited by Tyronal; 12-08-2010 at 12:13 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyronal For This Useful Post:

VaderForce (12-08-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Maybe they will look into utilising the awesome (or so we keep getting told) HTML5 to produce a web version of the magazine, then they can control who has access and also open the market to extra tablets like the Android ones etc.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Exactly... all content comes thru iTunes.
    Not exactly. Maybe some, maybe a lot. But what about newspaper & magazine publishers (NY Times/News Week)? Paper print is declining rapidly. These apps come from apple (ex: NY Times), but the content comes from the publishers (not thru apples servers). Hense the publisher wants to deal directly with the consumer (without the 70/30 split).

I'm glad Apple is standing firm . On the other hand, it's difficult to see how these dying publishers are going to make any money without Apple getting richer and the consumer getting the shaft. A new world has emerged. Wonder how it'll play out?!?

Thanks

isnt iOS 4.3 supposed to add subscription services? I dont know how it all works, but I am sure apple gets a cut from in app purchases and (other than JB devices) I dont see how any publisher will be able to get anything on the iPhone or iPad without paying a chunk to apple. Even if you pick up your fav magazine at you local grocery store or newsstand, there is still a chuck taken from the publisher. Only way the publisher gets (close to) 100% is thru direct mailed subscriptions and that just cant happen on an iDevice...yet

Thanks

those shady credit card data crawling purpose corporations

Thanks

i agree, but also think it's fair enough. when the content gets updated i'm sure it will be fed by apples servers so they will foot the bill for distribution. I'm guessing that is how it will work, new issue uploaded to apple and apple distributes to all apps.

Thanks

I'm glad I don't have credit card plus all the news I read are for free :-)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to carbeto For This Useful Post:

gokey666 (12-09-2010)

Thanks

I also dont use a credit card. i live in germany and im VERY HAPPY that we have regular EC Debit Cards.

In America everybody uses credit cards and pays theyre *** off and stumbles into debt.

And we here on the other side of the pond use debit cards for a long time and i hope credit cards get vanished of the surface of the earth xD

Never used a credit card, wont do , only if im going to us, but thats utopian since i am no criminal and therefore wont give away my fingerprint!!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to shitake83 For This Useful Post:

gokey666 (12-09-2010)

Thanks

Credit cards and visa/MasterCard debit cards are often mixed together when talking about credit cards. There are many Americans, myself included, that pay for this stuff on debit cards and don't have credit cards. Let's not confuse the two, I don't swipe a credit card at starbucks...it is my debit card

24. The Following User Says Thank You to sparksjr For This Useful Post:

gokey666 (12-09-2010)

Thanks

oh ok, i was thinkin TOOO EVIL of american banks
    its just this general sense here in europe that we think . americans only use the real credit cards, cuz thats what we see on tv. americans with 15 credit cards to pay the interest of the others.

But you dont have direct debit in america or do you ?
    because EVERYTHING i see in america, f.e. online shops , you can ONLY use credit cards, ryanair uses ONLY credit card (even though its uk^^)

in germany your card is tied to an account number, so when you order something online, you either send the money from an account (wire transfer) or you give them the account info and they withdraw it.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to shitake83 For This Useful Post:

gokey666 (12-09-2010)

Thanks

Most of our debit cards are branded by credit card companies so that we can use them to buy the latest and greatest gadget that we don't need online or via tv. However, they are tied to our bank accounts and if u ain't got the money u don't get the goods.

Don't get me wrong, there are many who have multiple real credit cards and use them to pay each other off...lol. If they can't they just file bankruptcy and start over, no sense of personal responsibility that's for sure.