+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Honeycomb-Powered Tablet To Take on iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default New Honeycomb-Powered Tablet To Take on iPad

On Monday, Google’s Andy Rubin gave the world a glimpse at a forthcoming Motorola tablet that appears to have excited both consumers and market analysts more than most other iPad competitors thus far - amazing, considering how little we know about it.

Andy Rubin, head of Google’s Android mobile-software unit, turned up at the All Things Digital: Dive Into Mobile conference in San Francisco to demonstrate a "prototype tablet" powered by another forthcoming version of Android called Honeycomb that is said to be "optimized" to run on tablet devices.

Rubin says the Motorola tablet will ship in 2011. Based on appearance and very little commentary from Rubin (see video from yesterday above), we know the black tablet sports a decent-sized screen, a built-in camera, video chat capabilities, a dual core 3D processor, and a conceivable assortment of other cool features that we will have to wait to learn about. “With the tablet," Rubin said, "we’re in the middle of one of those hockey sticks of evolution."

Rubin, while visibly confident in the soon-to-launch tablet, didn't take the ripe opportunity to blast Apple or others angling for prominence in the tablet space. Instead, Rubin actually offered complimentary words for Apple, including its App Store. “They’re pretty open,” Rubin said (with a straight face, in fact). “The App Store approval process is actually working pretty well.” RIM was another target of praise for Rubin, noting that both Apple and Research in Motion are "doing all the right things to fill in all the right pieces to keep up with the hyper-competitive market."

The Wall Street Journal

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks really clean, i like the desktop like feel of the homescreen, screen looks large maybe a little bigger than the ipad
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can we please stop calling every tablet that comes along and "iPad Killer" or "iPad competitor"?

There's 1/2 dozen tablets on the market. Why isn't this thing a "Galaxy Killer"?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClerkDante For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (12-08-2010), kuhndsn (12-07-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post
    Can we please stop calling every tablet that comes along and "iPad Killer" or "iPad competitor"?

There's 1/2 dozen tablets on the market. Why isn't this thing a "Galaxy Killer"?
    They just keep saying probably since the ipad has 95% of the market (based off a previous post) and anything coming into the market at this point is going after the ipad. Which i still think there are two different markets, Computer Tablet and Tablet. Two different uses from a Full OS to mobile OS.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I find it funny how the Hosts kept saying how some features were already done by Apple, and then the Google Spokesperson tried to spin it by saying that theirs is different... Or better yet how the lady called Android out for having hundreds of phones

However Google Maps was pretty impressive

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why isn't this thing a "Galaxy Killer"?
    I think the galaxy killed itself by being **** - didn't need someone else to do it for em

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Every new MP3 player was dubbed iPod Killer, first wave of new smartphones after the iPhone we're called iPhone Killers, and so any new Tablets will be called iPad Killers.
    I hate the <Device> Killer term too.

This Tablet looks nice, software still a bit buggy but clearly not released yet so time to fix it. (before it gets released and not after like Apple)
    There's still nothing in existing Tablets and from what I can see that might be coming out in the future, that would even interest me in a purchase. I guess they're not for me, a Laptop still trumps them in my book.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Android tablets running 3.0 is going to give the iPad a run for it's money I feel. The OS will be optimized for tablets.

I think Apple feels the competition also and is taking measures to stay out in front. One reason you see a ton of iPad commercials the past few months, iPads now at Target,Walmart/Sams, BestBuy. This gives Apple more brick and mortar visibility so the end user can touch and play with them.

The problem that Android based tablets are going to have is the problem some PC makers have unless Google has said you use x vendor hardware to get Google certified and the Market place. The thing is you'll have cheap knock off vs Moto, Samsung, Adam etc. If the customer gets one of the lower quality one and it doesn't perform they'll think all Android tablets are that way.

I'd consider an Android tablet, if the price if right,able to be rooted, & has Netflix. The Google Market is growing. I wonder are they going to allow connecting to AdHoc without having to hack the settings

The Galaxy Tab is a nice device but what killed it was it's price IMO. People just couldn't wrap their head around the cost. With Apple people expect to pay more.

I plan to see what 3.0 tablets,ipad2 and playbook bring to the table and will decide from there. No one brand has my loyalty

Thanks

I swear to god with a dual core motorala tablet if iPad 2 is not dual core I will take my current ipad and throw it against a wall

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    I swear to god with a dual core motorala tablet if iPad 2 is not dual core I will take my current ipad and throw it against a wall
    It could happen but I wouldn't hold my breath. Apple tends to make small bumps in Gen2 devices

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter88 View Post
    I find it funny how the Hosts kept saying how some features were already done by Apple, and then the Google Spokesperson tried to spin it by saying that theirs is different... Or better yet how the lady called Android out for having hundreds of phones

However Google Maps was pretty impressive
    Apple does the same thing my friend. They add features after someone else does and claim it just took that long to "get it right". It is a game... never admit your competition is better than you in any way. EVER.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    zdoes it really need a dual core processor?

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Honeycomb>iOS therefore Motorola Tab>iPad

Thanks

That desktop look is a whole lot cooler than the iPad's home screen. We'll just have to see how good it is when it comes out. The 3D Google Maps was impressive too, not sure how much I'd really need it but it's definitely a wow factor.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

interesting.. this will have Tegra

Android Tablets: Video of the Motorola ?Honeycomb? Tablet | Technology | Epoch Times

According to PC Magazine, the tablet sports a 10-inch screen and is “sleek, black, thin and sported an Android interface unlike any we've seen before.” Rubin said the tablet was running an NVidia Dual Core chip and allowed for video chattin

Green Apple
    Thanks

They keep asking if the table look like the apple. That is so funny

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Reading the comments it is sort of nice to see people interested in this product. Not necessarily because I want android to "win", but because this clearly shows that people are willing to consider something outside of iOS. Should get a fire lit up under Apple's butts!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Apple, all by themselves is at 24.6% market share for handset OS. Android, with its numerous manufacturers, is just now in position to get ahead. So, how bad is that? That Apple could nearly topple RIM by themselves but it's taking a bunch of makers to beat Apple. Not too shabby.

Same thing may happen in tablets. But Apple has a nice history of looking sleepy and then pouncing back with a sucker-punch that catches everyone else in the industry off guard.

Oh, and their marketing kicks a$z. Unlike those idiots at Sony that pi$$ed away a ton of potential with the PS3 (NOW they are just figuring out they need to market it as the 'everything' box? Brilliant): there's no reason that they shouldn't have been able to bury MS. If Apple had been in their position, MS would be a distant memory in the gaming market.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 12-07-2010 at 06:28 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

that lady is hella annoying... and the dude with the tablet tries to talk as much smack about apple as he can, between poorly explaining features and hiding his personal data...

FAIL

nice tablet tho....

but do people really get confused about the apple home button!? really?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by back9player View Post
    but do people really get confused about the apple home button!? really?
    not that I'm aware... and it lets me know where to plug in the cable.

It's a nice idea the it 'doesn't matter which end is up', but unless the physical stuff corresponds to that as well, it doesn't really work. If I put it in a case (which I'm sure folks will), I want to know which end is up so I don't put it in backwards. If there's any other physical add-ons, same thing applies there.

Looks nice, smaller than an iPad, I think (not by much, by enough).

If I was a 'Droid person, I might go for it. But if I already have any other Apple product, why?
    Having _any_ Apple product increases likelihood of additional Apple sales dramatically. They're going to need a pretty big wow/buzz factor to beat the Apple hype.