+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Billionaire Richard Branson Brings His New 'Project' to the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
If you're somewhat confused as to how the iPad will "save" the publishing world when it continues to kill the printed page with each passing day, you're not alone. But
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Billionaire Richard Branson Brings His New 'Project' to the iPad

If you're somewhat confused as to how the iPad will "save" the publishing world when it continues to kill the printed page with each passing day, you're not alone. But as dwindling publishers look for new ways - any ways, in fact - to keep people reading something, billionaire industrialist Richard Branson - I mean, Sir Richard Branson - may very well be the knight in shining armor for the publishing world today.

On Tuesday, Apple launched in its App Store the new "Project" reader, a free application that makes it possible to read the new "Project" magazine ($2.99 each) - the brainchild of Branson and partner Anthony Noguera (a former FHM editor). The digital publication optimized for the iPad is jam-packed with rich multimedia content, spanning "international culture, entertainment, design, business and travel." The first issue, available now, sports Tron star Jeff Bridges on the cover and delivers "an interactive 3D tour of Tokyo" on the inside.

At present, the release of "Project" is being hailed as the biggest digital magazine development in the life of the iPad. But it's yet to be seen if this fancy, dressed up, and high-end version of similar digital magazines will truly make a splash on the iPad and, more importantly, among voracious e-readers. Regardless, if you've got the time and $2.99, you can now see for yourself what this much-hyped "Project" is all about.

App Store

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

400milliliters (12-01-2010), reaves205 (11-30-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Tron is going to be sweet

Thanks

$2.99 each? I don't see iPad publications growing if they're that expensive. Maybe if they offer subscriptions that lowers the price per issue it'll catch on.

That's just like Car and Driver issues, also $2.99 each. I can get the actual magazine (you remember the ones that come in the mail?) for less than a dollar per issue!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zoso10 For This Useful Post:

Xenthis (11-30-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

That title got me really excited....then I read the article

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes. If they they want e-magazines to take off they need to start offering yearly subcriptions at discounted prices. And push notifications for when new issues come out. I can think of a few magazines I'd subscribe too. I have a feeling this is coming tho. Very soon

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

$1 an issue for digital print is a fair price. Zinio offers a ton in that price range. Maxim FTW

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is that the Dude?

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    $1 an issue for digital print is a fair price. Zinio offers a ton in that price range. Maxim FTW
    Definitely, without having to print anything should be saving them money, but I'm loving all these mags switching to the iPad
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

It's great to see someone is going "green".
    Time to save the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I really like the magazines are switching to the iPad but there are tons of people hating the prices they want per month! If these companies want to do well with the iPad then I feel they need to be fair and come up with a yearly price or cheaper monthly price..... $2.99 is still a lot and people will complain about it.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MeRyanSch View Post
    Is that the Dude?

Yeah, man, that is absolutely The Dude. He still abides, man, The Dude abides.

Green Apple
    Thanks

People complaining about the price. Yeah they dont print no more. But last time I checked for a digital magazine to be built you needed a few developers, Content team, UI designers etc. I can go on.

If you think 2.99 a month. 0.099 cents a day brake your pockets then you should really consider your stance on what gadgets to own.

NDM
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenNove View Post
    People complaining about the price. Yeah they dont print no more. But last time I checked for a digital magazine to be built you needed a few developers, Content team, UI designers etc. I can go on.

If you think 2.99 a month. 0.099 cents a day brake your pockets then you should really consider your stance on what gadgets to own.
    true story.....
    but i will agree with a few and say that a yearly lower price wouldn't be such a bad thing!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I like this. The first comment has nothing to do with the point of this article...lol but Tron will be sweet-
    iPhone 4 4.2.1 Untethered

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteed View Post
    Yes. If they they want e-magazines to take off they need to start offering yearly subcriptions at discounted prices. And push notifications for when new issues come out. I can think of a few magazines I'd subscribe too. I have a feeling this is coming tho. Very soon
    I whole-heartedly agree
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
    -- Harry S. Truman

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenNove View Post

You are missing the issue entirely. Most people subscribe to multiple magazines. If I'm going to have to pay $3 per issue to have the digital format, I will gladly throw 4 or 5 magazines alongside my iPad that only cost me pennies on the dollar. If there is an issue of something I don't subscribe to, I have no problems paying cover price for it, I do it all the time when I am traveling, and I do buy a Wired issue on my iPad from time to time, but I will not make it a habit of regularly buying digital versions when I can get the hardcopy versions for 1/3 the price.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I agree. They need to get subscriptions going on all these mags.

What's Jailbreak? 400milliliters's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Hells Yeah!!
    To quote the last words of Plato, "I drank what?"

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Digital magazines are going to make a killing when they settle in on the iPad. MMI should start one.