+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AirVideoEnabler Streams Any iOS Video

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by dannyben Just a FYI.... This patch will ONLY allow AirPlay of video coded in MP4 format. Still can NOT use iOS apps like plex or klexi at
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dannyben View Post
    Just a FYI.... This patch will ONLY allow AirPlay of video coded in MP4 format. Still can NOT use iOS apps like plex or klexi at all. Air Video only works if the file is coded correctly to begin with.
    It's has nothing to do with mp4 format... Airplay will stream html5 video from safari just fine. Airplay only works with apps that use the iPod integrated video player. Apps like Hulu or Netflix that use their own player don't stream to Airplay. Maybe it's possible to create a plug in for this..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

hollow0 (11-27-2010), katmeef (11-27-2010)

Thanks

Looks great, but I've heard it doesnt work with netflix or any app that uses a media player not identical to the one in iPod.app, so YouTube won't
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

YouTube in fact uses the iPod video player so it works just fine. YouTube worked over airplay even before the hack lol. Wow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    It's has nothing to do with mp4 format... Airplay will stream html5 video from safari just fine. Airplay only works with apps that use the iPod integrated video player. Apps like Hulu or Netflix that use their own player don't stream to Airplay. Maybe it's possible to create a plug in for this..
    Sorry.. I left out html5. But you are incorrect. Plex.app uses built in media player (doesn't work at all regardless of format) as does Air Video (mp4 works perfectly, but not .AVI or .mkv). Incorrect info you are providing.

As to Netflix, why would it matter??? Netflix is built into ATV software.

This is a great app bit still needs work. If video will stream from Air Video it probably just needs a tweak to allow the additionalvtime required for "play with live conversion". I am assuming apps like plex & klexi (which I believe convert everything first) will also work then. Just prob need to allow for additional time before timing out.

This wouldn't be an issue if additional codec was available on ATV.

Also, this is going to be entirely jailbreak until Apple tosses in their hat on this. No official app can ever use or promote this tweak. Their app would get pulled from the App Store in a second!!!

Makes no sense. Apple allows these apps on the App Store to stream other formats, but at the end of the day I guess it's biz & they only want you to RENT on ATV, not play what u have.
    Last edited by dannyben; 11-27-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Add

Thanks

i don't know about plex but Netflix and Hulu both use players within their respective apps... Not the iPod player. You are correct that that the video ultimately has to be in a compatible format or you must transcode it to mp4. If plex is a media server type app like air video then the same rules apply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Plex Klexi and Air Video all allow you to stream any format on iPhone or iPad directly in media player. Plex & klexi, I believe transcode everything fist -- and I believe this tweak simply doesn't allow enough time to buffer the transcoding.

Air Video works perfectly with the live button (as it's the correct format to begin), but not at all with live conversion.

There's no reason why it can play on a iPad/iPhone but NOT ATV. It's simply bug or an additional line of code needed in the tweak.

Thanks

Air Video works great with live conversion. I'm watching an mkv file with on the fly transcoding right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Air Video works great with live conversion. I'm watching an mkv file with on the fly transcoding right now.
    Really? How large is the file? I tried with 350M+ and timed out with mkv & avi. Will try again later.

Thanks

It's an HD video... Several gigs large.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I dont have an ipad but would like the MLB NBA and Directv sunday package work with that airplay enabler ??

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn with this hack, it makes me want to get an Apple TV. Only bad thing is that this hack ONLY works with 4.2. Can someone come out with a hack for 4.1? :/ I guess i'll have to wait for an untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak....

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's an HD video... Several gigs large.
    Tried 5 different mkv's. All bring up the spinning wheel on ATV for about 15 seconds before crashing back to main menu.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DisneyRicky's Avatar
    Thanks

I will update when we get jailbreak.
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank god for jailbreaking! I wouldn't even want my iPhone 4 or my iPad 3G if I couldn't jailbreak them. I am so sick and tired of all of Apple's ******** rules and restrictions for devices that we paid for ourselves and we own. I know I don't have to buy Apple products if I don't want too. I am just making the point that if jailbreaking wasn't possible I would've told Apple and Steve Jobs to go screw themselves a long time ago! The only reason they didn't add this feature now was so they could add it to the iPad 2 when it comes out to sell more of them. Even though Steve Jobs Has turned into an overbearing control freak, he still is a marketing genius.

h2a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To those of you crying about apple not enabling this to begin with, read all the posts about this or that not working.

Now ask again why apple would implement something that might not work in all cases.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    To those of you crying about apple not enabling this to begin with, read all the posts about this or that not working.

Now ask again why apple would implement something that might not work in all cases.
    now this guy is thinking..apple hasnt enabled airVideo yet because its not fully compatible. you know apple and all, being perfect, when they release a product/features they want it nearly perfect(enough so people dont complain) and yes I am an apple fanboy....unfortunatly

h2a
    Thanks

I love airplay but everyone would have thrown a fit if it didn't work perfectly with all of their third party crap. Next thing you know someone would be calling "airplaygate."

The difference between apple and other companies is that apple protects (or in most cases, attempts to protect) tech-illiterate people from performance inconsistency.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the beginning of something amazing!

Thanks

For those of us who already have a ps3, (which does everything an apple TV does already) it would be awesome to have an app that lets you air-video directly to it (aka ps3 media server on mac)....I live in hope of this awesome app, I know for sure there are a million others with iphones and ps3's that would pay for this..

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Treeml View Post
    For those of us who already have a ps3, (which does everything an apple TV does already) it would be awesome to have an app that lets you air-video directly to it (aka ps3 media server on mac)....I live in hope of this awesome app, I know for sure there are a million others with iphones and ps3's that would pay for this..
    That mod would probably need to happen on the playstation, not the iOS device