Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Acer Reveals New Windows, Android Tablets

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Acer Reveals New Windows, Android Tablets

Acer Inc., the prominent PC manufacturer, is joining the bustling business of tablet production with multiple new tablet offerings that - you guessed it - aim to take a bite out of Apple's present lock on the tablet computer market. According to the executives at Acer, the new offerings include five-inch, seven-inch, and ten-inch touchscreen tablets that run on Google's Android software. Acer CEO Gianfranco Lanci said that a Windows based 10-inch tablet (with AMD processor and two 1.3-megapixel cameras) is also forthcoming.

By spring 2011 the above slate will be available (although a February release is planned for the 10-inch Windows 7 tablet). The 10-inch Android tablet, however, seems to be generating the most enthusiasm. This particular model will serve up both Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity to complement its multi-touch input and an internal gyroscope. Yet despite all the initial interest provoked by the 10-inch Android tablet, it's 7-inch counterpart could be the biggest seller, as it delivers a 1280-by-800-pixel display and a forward-facing HD camera. The HDMI port is still there, as are 3G and Wi-Fi capabilities. Also thrown in is dual-core processor and the ability to run Adobe Flash Player 10.1.

Additionally on Tuesday, Acer announced a dual-screen tablet concept known as "Iconia" (see PC World demo video above). Instead of delivering a standard below-screen keyboard, the device offers a second touch-panel display. Acer calls the innovative concept device a brand new tablet experience, "combining the versatility of a conventional 14” form factor with a unique dual-screen layout and highly intuitive all-point multi-touch functionality, which means you can use all the fingers of your hands to navigate Iconia."

Obviously, prospective tablet buyers have much to consider if not already sold on the idea of an iPad. As a new tablet - or concept tablet - is seemingly unveiled every week, it gets a little easier to understand the comments of JT Wang, chairman of Acer, who told the Economic Daily News (via DigiTimes) last summer that the iPad's market share will soon be only 20% to 30%. Citing Apple's closed platform more than increased tablet competition, Wang says Apple's iPad simply won't be able to compete as it once did as a crowded field of tablets will soon elevate new players to the top of the heap.

Acer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (11-24-2010)

Thanks

Actually that thing looks pretty nice. I really want a google tablet
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

looks promising... again a reason why apple should release the ipad 2 earlier!
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

i dont understand how everybody is releasing (or planning to) an Android tablet when froyo (current Android release) and Gingerbread (the forthcoming) are not meant for tablets (According to google!).
    I own a samsung android ( sidekick to my iphone) and am tired of trying to keep it up to date using customs roms and stuff, i guess Steve was right about fragmentation...

Thanks

wow that so cool. can not wait to see one

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll keep my iPad. That looked slow to the touch and the OS design looked dated.

The day Acer stops selling crap is the day I might check out something like this from them.

Today is not that day.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm.. it does look promising although I'm sure most people would prefer real keyboards over virtual ones.
    I hope Apple is taking note and would one day soon release a tablet that runs OSX. It seems that touch-interaction is where technology is moving.

two 1.3 megapixals...pass! half the reason I want an ipad 2 is because of the 2 HD cameras...and the other half includes speed, battery life(although 10 hours is superb!!), and weight. Definitely getting the ipad 2 over this!

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    two 1.3 megapixals...pass! half the reason I want an ipad 2 is because of the 2 HD cameras...and the other half includes speed, battery life(although 10 hours is superb!!), and weight. Definitely getting the ipad 2 over this!
    I agree. 1.3 megapixels is wack. What were/are they thinking?

Looks like a giant Nintendo DS.
    Last edited by TheReliq; 11-24-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

So this will be on the shelf next to the Kin then????? And why do all those trade shows have such loud and obnoxious music playing ALL the time. Couldn't hear a thing the guys was trying to shout. One wonders what we'd have if Apple never made the iPad. Nada.

I'd actually like to see one and test it out!

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

Looks slow, I think my iPhone 4 is faster hahaha. I'm just waiting for the iPad 2 I know apple is gonna whip out something that's gonna leave people with their mouths open
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Acer may release umpteen no. Of products but the basic fundamentals of the company are useless. Sooner or later people realise (although after buying the crappy products) that they have put their money down the drain. Acer has most annoying and unapologetic customer-care service. They may know how to sell the product but they really lack providing after sales service.
    Last edited by chinmay007; 11-24-2010 at 11:15 PM.

dual tablet, nice idea and I think everything looks nice! as long as it can flip down to 1 screen tablet control when needed, it will be superb!

Might consider this over ipad, though let's see what ipad 2 will offer!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    The day Acer stops selling crap is the day I might check out something like this from them.

Today is not that day.
    Tomorrow is not looking good either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheReliq View Post
    I agree. 1.3 megapixels is wack. What were/are they thinking?

Looks like a giant Nintendo DS.
    Yup a DS. With the awkwardness of an elephant kissing a whale.

Thanks

The dual tablet device will be bulky and awkward. Range of motion will likely be inhibited by connecting wires and such. I imagine typing will be somewhat akin to a clam giving birth to two frog.

This doesn't look like it will be much competition. Still haven't seen a tablet device worth purchasing. While the iPad is clearly ahead of the pack, I would not be purchasing it either. Let's see what the second generation brings.

damn...i just bought MBA.......Thats pretty nice....
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Jubah
    Jubah Online
    Jubah Muslimah
    Baju Hari Raya
    Baju Muslimah
    Baju Raya 2013
    Baju Kurung
    Baby Clothes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast