+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Talk of iPad 2 Hurting Sales of iPad 1?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
One gets the sense that Apple-savvy customers have caught on to the likelihood of Apple releasing a second-generation iPad in the not-too-distant future. Although many analysts don't anticipate a release
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Talk of iPad 2 Hurting Sales of iPad 1?

One gets the sense that Apple-savvy customers have caught on to the likelihood of Apple releasing a second-generation iPad in the not-too-distant future. Although many analysts don't anticipate a release of iPad 2 before spring, the prospect of a first quarter refresh of the iPad next year is now believed to be discouraging many customers from purchasing the first generation iPad this holiday season either for themselves or for someone else.

In recent weeks, the same sources (overseas suppliers) who reported the forthcoming iPad 2 have similarly begun expressing concerns that the looming prospect of a brand new iPad (likely one with a front facing camera for FaceTime video chats) will severely hamper the current runaway sales of the Apple tablet. Yours truly can even report two individuals purchasing huge Apple holiday gift cards at a Chicago Apple retail outlet this past weekend for this very reason - why buy a new first-gen iPad, their logic held, when it may become the "old model" in just a few months?

Of course, any and all suspicions that Apple's prospective iPad refresh will hurt sales of the first iPad this holiday season is borderline arrogant. After all, Apple is no longer the sole player in the tablet market. And while many will chalk up a possible dip in first-gen iPad sales as an indication that the marketplace is simply holding off for a new iPad, it should be noted that the tablets produced by "other companies" - Samsung, RIM, etc. - may also prove a factor in this equation. While the iPad is widely predicted to dominate the tablet market for the duration of 2011, it isn't far-fetched at all to expect the ramped-up competition to take at least a small chunk of market share away from Apple.

DigiTimes

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm waiting and so is my gf. Apple loves to give a little at a time. Soooo annoying they easily could and should have had a front facing cam last gen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This happens every year with all iPods, iPhones, etc. I'm sure Apple knows this is happening, probably why iOS 4.2 is being released when it is. To bring some light back to the product, trying to get more consumer interested again.

Unfortunately, I had an iPad since release month, it was good until I purchased iPhone 4. Since then, mostly collecting dust. I downloaded the 4.2 GM, it brought me back a little bit, I use it slightly more, but it's still there for the occasional YouTube and Pandora.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

While true this happens with every device. Did you not buy an iPhone 3G cause you knew the 3GS would have video recording and better camera?? Some yes, but most no and a few jailbreak to get what they want when they want. I'm waiting for iPad 2.0 but made this decision the before iPad was released because of no front facing camera.
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

iPhone? More like MyPhone jjr3211's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my iPad have been waiting for 4.2. I use mine all the time but when the new one comes out when ever that my be I will be buying it and my son will be getting my old one.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I just got back from the store from buying one. If you wait in anticipation of a newer model then you will be running in circles all year, every year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (11-22-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I am one of the customers waiting. I want iPad 2. I have no interest in iPad 1, regardless of iOS version or discounted price.

Thanks

i would be one of those people that waits. i got screwed on the ipod touch refresh so i know how it feels to buy something and then in a couple months its the "old" model

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been waiting for v2 for some time. I've told everyone NOT to buy it for me for the holidays or my birthday...which is this week. If I come across a good android table before V2 is announced I may go to the dark side. I personally think that Apple is making a mistake for not announcing V2. They are giving the competition too much time to catch up.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why not wait for ipad 3.0

It might have a SIDE camera !

I agree with CaptainChaos, waiting for the new model is like watching the grass grow. Pointless.

Theres always a new model coming out and the grass is ALWAYS growing!

My advice would be to buy them ALL the models so when it comes 50 years down the track you have vintage products.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to snowdweller For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (11-22-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snowdweller View Post
    Why not wait for ipad 3.0

It might have a SIDE camera !

I agree with CaptainChaos, waiting for the new model is like watching the grass grow. Pointless.

Theres always a new model coming out and the grass is ALWAYS growing!

My advice would be to buy them ALL the models so when it comes 50 years down the track you have vintage products.
    lol good plan. seriously

Green Apple
    Thanks

My only hope is that the 2nd Gen iPad doesn't have a plastic outer shell like the 2nd/3rd Gen iPhones. I hate that wireless scratching/fingerprint magnet feature native to most Apple tech...

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The release of the next iPad according to Apple's 12 month release cycle is over 4 months away! That's a long time to wait just to see what the next model is. Smart people will buy the iPad now.. then sell it for 80% of it's value in 4 months in anticipation of upgrading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wait wait wait wait. You can always wait for the next better model. Meantime you don't have anything. The problems is that with the iPad, there are so many users new to the tech scene, and they haven't learned that you don't wait unless you're sure the next model is coming within a couple months or so.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kil0111's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snowdweller View Post
    ...Theres always a new model coming out and the grass is ALWAYS growing!...
    quite the contrary, grass becomes dormant during the winter or cold season and halts its growth until spring!.... lol

but i agree

Removed for being inappropriate. This is your sixth and final warning -

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kil0111 For This Useful Post:

ash2830 (11-23-2010), saunupe1911 (11-22-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Im glad people are finally catching on to the way apple works.

They never discount, and they just try to sell you old stuff at new prices. If you get taken 1 month before the new refresh, you kinda got screwed.

I almost bought the old macbook air at $1599 a few weeks before the new macbook air came out. Glad I heard some rumors, and decided to wait.

Rocking my 11" macbook for only $999.
    Last edited by BlackG35; 11-22-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I just got back from the store from buying one. If you wait in anticipation of a newer model then you will be running in circles all year, every year.
    Yes and no. If you just buy one on or close to launch, you are pretty safe to not have the "next best thing" on shelves for another 8-12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackG35 View Post
    I almost bought the old macbook air at $1599 a few weeks before the new macbook air came out. Glad I heard some rumors, and decided to wait.

Rocking my 11" macbook for only $999.
    In this scenario I can almost guarantee they would have let you take it back and exchange it.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-22-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

So they've been able to tell after 2 weeks that rumors are hurting iPad sales? If people are gonna wait for the iPad 2 their gonna do it regardless of rumors.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    buy all of then and if you don`t like it sell and get te next one that`s is what i been doing

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jordbrett View Post
    I'm waiting and so is my gf. Apple loves to give a little at a time. Soooo annoying they easily could and should have had a front facing cam last gen.
    Exactly! They could have added double the RAM too! i mean the iPhone 4 (loving mine) came out a month or two later and it had double the RAM. I have an iPad and it feels like it doesnt have that much in it and that it has a lot more room that could have been used. Its sad, but i guess thats buisness