+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Details Emerge on 2011 iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
As the new year approaches, there's a surge in rumors about the next-generation iPad. Consistent reports have indicated that the tablet will get a refresh ahead of its one-year anniversary
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Details Emerge on 2011 iPad

As the new year approaches, there's a surge in rumors about the next-generation iPad. Consistent reports have indicated that the tablet will get a refresh ahead of its one-year anniversary in April, which would mean that production should start ramping up right about now. Rumors out of the Asian supply chain say that suppliers have been picked for the 2G iPad, and one financial analyst is claiming that the new model will have a "world-mode" chip that can run on both AT&T's and Verizon's networks.

DigiTimes, the hit-or-miss electronics industry gossip newspaper out of Taiwan, says that Apple has chosen circuit board suppliers for the 2011 iPad. Production of any-layer high-density interconnect (HDI) circuit boards will begin at Ibiden, Tripod Technology and TTM Technologies in December, according to Ingrid Lee and Jessie Shen at DigiTimes, and four more suppliers will be added before shipments begin in February 2011.

Meanwhile, Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair said that the next-generation iPad will have a GSM-CDMA Qualcomm chip, allowing the same device to run on both the AT&T and the Verizon network, without having to buy a MiFi mobile hotspot. In a letter to his clients, Blair also said that his sources tell him that the new iPad will have a front-facing camera and a slimmer, unibody design. "The new iPad is thinner than the existing model and is essentially made from one piece of metal with no pins needed," Blair wrote. "We understand it requires a new type of manufacturing process as a result, similar to the company's unibody approach seen in MacBooks."

Unsubstantiated rumors like these, of course, should always be taken with a grain of salt. However, the reports are broadly consistent with what's been reported for some months now, and make sense in terms of Apple's developing relationship with Verizon. A story in yesterday's Wall Street Journal, for instance, indicates that Verizon's 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) network drew Apple's interest, and helped secure the deal allowing Verizon to carry the iPad.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (11-19-2010), k.nitsua (11-20-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thats what I like to hear

iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet. I can't wait to see it

Thanks

tht's good that apple is taking the steps to include more than just AT&T for 3g access without any extra adapters and crap

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Retina! Give me retina!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to corkey20000 For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (11-20-2010)

Thanks

waitaminute waitaminute you mean my ipad isnt 'UNIBODY'!!! LOL

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

There is nothing at all that would indicate that Apple is accelerating their 12 month scheduled refresh of the iPad. If they released the iPad 2 any earlier than April it would just alienate all the customers who buy it over the holidays. Apple is like clockwork with their iPod and iPhone refresh... 12 months.. no sooner.. no later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Danielcg (11-20-2010), goodgod2 (11-19-2010), mortopher (11-19-2010), stlcaddie (11-19-2010), tsatryan (11-19-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

This cant be true....why in the world do apple need to rush the second gen iPad? just doesnt make sense. the original is still selling at a reasonable rate.

Thanks

Here's a report that's consistent with Apple not producing/ordering the new iPad until January... which is right on schedule.

AppleInsider | Apple increases iPad orders, decreases CDMA iPhone build plans - report
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goodgod2 View Post
    This cant be true....why in the world do apple need to rush the second gen iPad? just doesnt make sense. the original is still selling at a reasonable rate.
    Agree 100% their just greedy bastards

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by San23 View Post
    Agree 100% their just greedy bastards
    I don't understand. You agree with someone who says it's not true.. then call Apple greedy? *confused*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

leathelisor (11-20-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

To steal the thunder of the upcoming playbook from RIM.

Apples business strategy is to saturate the market with miniscule upgrades in an effort to win more and more users. At the same time they want to prevent competitors from gaining any leverage. RIM has been creating a lot of hype for their new playbook. If apple drops their iPad 2.0 during the same time as the playbook they have the chance of stealing rims potential customers.

Also, releasing the iPad in June could hurt sales from potential customers who went with RIM because they didn't want to wait for the new iPad to drop.

Thanks

Apple dosen't need any thunder, it's their storm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
    To steal the thunder of the upcoming playbook from RIM.

Apples business strategy is to saturate the market with miniscule upgrades in an effort to win more and more users. At the same time they want to prevent competitors from gaining any leverage. RIM has been creating a lot of hype for their new playbook. If apple drops their iPad 2.0 during the same time as the playbook they have the chance of stealing rims potential customers.

Also, releasing the iPad in June could hurt sales from potential customers who went with RIM because they didn't want to wait for the new iPad to drop.
    Who said June? Apple will make the iPad 2 announcement in January. This will provide all the specifications so that anyone who was tossing up between the unreleased PlayBook and the unlrealeased iPad can make a buying decision and you will then see an April release. Apple wants consumers to make an upgrade/purchase 3 times a year and space them out far enough so it's easier for people to spend the money. Spring = iPad. Summer = iPhone. Fall = iPod.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

babyblue_pimp (11-19-2010), CaptainChaos (11-19-2010), Eddie3GS (11-19-2010), staterunner180 (11-20-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I am buying one for the wife for Christmas irregardless of when the next one comes out. It won't have enough features to warrant buying a new one when it is released anyways. When the iPad3 comes out I will give this one to the kids and get her that one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

I just want retina!!! I've had to hold myself back from buying a iPad sooooooooooooooooo many times this year! :-(

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    Be quite you nasty piece of crap! I want the fricken ipad 2g!!!!!! Like NOW! i also want ipad ios4, or would you rather stick with 3.2???? Now shut up you anti- applism, back stabbing no good rotting troll!!!( yea i said applism ,the only religion thats worth wasting your money for ) and no im not one of those people who go to church everyday, neither do i plan too! But you probably are.......
    wow

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norfskate View Post
    I just want retina!!! I've had to hold myself back from buying a iPad sooooooooooooooooo many times this year! :-(
    I don't think we will be seeing retina on the iPad 2g 2560 x 1920 would be a hard stretch for the price. knowing apple they would charge alot more than $499. Im sure the screen would be many times more expensive than the current one.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Don't get your hopes up for a retina although they may release a higher screen and call it something else. Samsung is suppose to be releasing a sAMOLE screen I heard summer 2011

I think the iPad2 base model will be a 32gb unit, 512mb, processor im not sure about, cameras are given, I'd love for them to release the base model with 3g for $499 probably a later Mar early April release

I'm still waiting for a PlayBook review..

Thanks

I'd say 512MB RAM... cameras... slightly better screen. I doubt they'll do much with the processor until the iPad 3. Cant give TOO many upgrades at once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]