+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hulu Slashes Monthly Subscription Price to $7.99

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Hulu Slashes Monthly Subscription Price to $7.99

As video streaming and distribution services take aim at our mobile devices and tablet computers with exceptional focus on our insatiable appetite for video on the go, the people at Hulu are looking to make their Hulu Plus subscription service more affordable across an increasingly competitive landscape.

Today, Hulu reduced the monthly subscription price of its video streaming service to $7.99 (down from $9.99 per month). Of course, if you recently signed up and paid the full $9.99, you will receive credit on your next bill. Although the price reduction is far from earth-shaking (and less than the initially rumored 50% discount), Hulu wants to give Netflix a greater challenge and the price cut is one logical way to do so.

According to Hulu CO Jason Kilar CEO posting on the official Hulu Blog, Hulu Plus also launches today on Roku. "All PlayStation 3 owners with a PlayStation Network account, which is free, can download the Hulu Plus application." And, in the months to come, Hulu Plus will become available for Internet-connected Vizio, LG Electronics, and Panasonic Blu-ray players and HDTVs; TiVo Premiere DVRs; the Xbox 360; and Western Digitalís WD TV Live Hub Media Center and WD TV Live Plus Network Media Player. The blog also points out that "many more mobile phones, tablets, set-top boxes, and Internet-connected devices" will soon be Hulu-ready.

Hulu presently has 30 million users and saw $240 million in revenue during the past year. But as PC World noted today, a recent survey indicated that only 4% of Hulu viewers subscribe to its Plus service. If you were on the fence before about a Hulu subscription, will $7.99 now seal the deal for you?

Hulu Blog
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 11-17-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

$2.00?

Thank you Hulu!

Green Apple
    Thanks

As soon as Hulu is released for the Xbox 360, I will subscribe!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There's still ads.. On plus so I'm still paying for ads hulu is super greedy

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Netflix is better IMO.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had the 9.99 for a couple of months trying to figure out if there was some value to it.... I realized that there was NONE, ZERO, ZIP so I canceled it. All the stuff that I want to see is already accessible for free.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Netflix is alot better I just use netflix and free hulu

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Netflix just made it available to download their app on the PS3 as well. You no longer have to have the CD in the drive.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i'd hardly call $2 "slashes". i decided to check out their library, pathetic at best. not worth the $8/mo in my opinion. netflix has a far better selection. don't know why people go all gaga for hulu. for a back television catalog netflix has a far larger selection, and movies to boot.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

not going to pay 8$ for commercials maybe 5 dollars preferably 2. Hulu is becoming just another failed attempt at awesome. Owell it was a good run while it lasted
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DayumQuitPlayin View Post
    Netflix is better IMO.
    That all depends how you use the service. Since I use Hulu to watch all my favorite network TV shows that makes Netflix worthless b/c they are not available on Netflix until they come out on DVD whereas on Hulu everything is available the next day. Netflix is more for the movie watcher while Hulu is for the TV watcher.

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    not going to pay 8$ for commercials maybe 5 dollars preferably 2. Hulu is becoming just another failed attempt at awesome. Owell it was a good run while it lasted
    Some things don't have commercials. It seems like everything I watch that airs on NBC is commercial free like SNL and 30 Rock.

The rest of the shows that have commercials are one commercial every 15 mins. That's nothing compared to the 3-4 mins of commercials every 7-10 mins when you're watching live tv. I think $8 is a steal considering the cost of a DVR from the cable company or satellite dish is around the same price and it only records the few shows you want while Hulu is essentially an unlimited DVR service for every show back to season 1 episode 1.

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    i'd hardly call $2 "slashes". i decided to check out their library, pathetic at best. not worth the $8/mo in my opinion. netflix has a far better selection. don't know why people go all gaga for hulu. for a back television catalog netflix has a far larger selection, and movies to boot.
    Actually $2 is 20% of their original price which is a significant margin to "slash". Be more specific. What does Netflix have that Hulu doesn't? Last time I checked Hulu has almost 100% of every major network show in their catalog. If it's CURRENT then Netflix doesn't have it b/c they only have what's available on DVD. If you're talking strictly movies then Hulu is not for you.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 11-17-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

anekin007 (11-17-2010), mortopher (11-17-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bring back iHulu!!!LOL

Banned
    Thanks

If I could actually watch a free show without it buffering every couple of minutes (even over WiFi) and audio-quality changing right in the middle of a video, I might consider Hulu+.

I always find myself chuckling when people complain about paying and still seeing commercials. So I guess none of you pay for cable TV?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rokesomesmeefer For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (11-17-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it is mostly about commercials for me. as soon as they removed commercials, I will get Hulu plus even if it is $10. However, if it continue to have commercials, then I will just watch for free instead of paying for it.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

LOL at above. You are so right... unless you're using an antenna for your TV service you're paying AT LEAST $50/mo for cable or satellite and watching a TON more commercials than Hulu Plus at $8.

As soon as my Dish Network contract expires I'm canceling it. $40 a month for broadband and $8 a month for Hulu+ is better than the $85 a month I'm paying for Dish PLUS the $48 for cable and Hulu right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I have enjoyed Hulu+ for the past 6 months. I am happy to pay $2 less

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It needs to be 1.99 with no ads.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Sure why not .50?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I love Hulu+. I was on the original beta for Hulu and was on the 9.99 trial and loved it. Its great quality streaming it and love it on my HTPC.

I was so pumped that they dropped the price and also credited $2/month for all the 9.99 charges.

:thumbsup:

Also, here is a referal code for two free weeks instead of one. Hulu - Plus only have 10 referals tho for the special 2 weeks so get it quick
    Last edited by boxxa; 11-17-2010 at 01:20 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to boxxa For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (11-17-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

For me, it will be between Netflix or Hulu+. I dont watch enough to justifiy having them both.

I've been cable free for nearly 18 months now. I get all my sports through myp2p.eu/veetle, movie and tv via netflix, and I ran HDMI cable though to the receiver in the living room so I can stream the feeds straight to the bigscreen. Im trying to figure out how cable/satelite are going to remain relevant over the next few years.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9