Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hulu Slashes Monthly Subscription Price to $7.99

Sucks to be in Australia, we get NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Wow save $2.00, early Christmas

Do they really have all the shows from every network? Even basic cable? I used the regular free Internet version for a while, and it sure didn't seem like it had all that to me. I guess I'll have another look...

Hulu+ is actually quite a bargain. 4-5 commercials through an hour show, versus the 5-7 every 10 min or less on live TV. AMC is the worst for this! 1 hour, 20 min movie takes 3 hours to play AND it's cut down too.

You get most episodes within 8 days (from all major, and most cable networks) versus the several month wait for DVD release AFTER the season ends on Netflix, and it takes them time to release it on "play it now."

Netflix and Hulu+ each has it's advantages. I say, get both. $17.98/month is a heck of a lot cheaper than cable or satellite TV service, plus you won't pay extra to rent new releases.

Oh, and if you're having buffer issues on Hulu, try using HuluDesktop. It's free to download (though, you do have to really look for it now) and runs the videos much better.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CynicalDriver For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (11-17-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Whatever happened with with the back catalogue for Modern Family? That bummed me out when They went back to only showing the previous five episodes.

Definitely stoked about the $12 they credited back to my account!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    LOL at above. You are so right... unless you're using an antenna for your TV service you're paying AT LEAST $50/mo for cable or satellite and watching a TON more commercials than Hulu Plus at $8.

As soon as my Dish Network contract expires I'm canceling it. $40 a month for broadband and $8 a month for Hulu+ is better than the $85 a month I'm paying for Dish PLUS the $48 for cable and Hulu right now.
    I actually don't watch anything directly from TV, I watch movies from Netflex and other free websites. Of course I watch TV shows from Hulu, fancast, and other free website. I would never pay for cable tv or dish Network. High speed internet can do everything.

Were you guys aware that with Hulu Plus, you can't watch all the already free stuff on Hulu?

That's right. Only certain shows are available on Hulu Plus. Go to Hulu.com, search a show, then tick the Hulu Plus box. If everything disappears, you won't be watching that show on your iPhone.

Ridiculous, right? And this isn't just old shows or anything; you can't watch The Simpsons, Community, Fringe, Chuck, It's Always Sunny, and a boatload of other popular shows on Hulu Plus. I know you're staring at this screen right now with your jaw dropped, but it's 100% true. I signed up for the free trial today and went to watch an episode of Community on my phone. Not found. Fringe--not found. Then I looked on the website: shows and clips you CAN watch on Hulu Plus have a little green "h+" rectangle next to them. If it doesn't have that, you can't watch it on any of your Hulu Plus-only devices.

Needless to say, I will be canceling my trial before they start charging me. Even the name is misleading. "Hulu Plus" should be Hulu...PLUS More, not LESS content! If you have a spare PC lying around at home, I would recommend hooking it up to the Internet purchasing PlayOn. It acts as your own personal Skyfire server for Hulu, YouTube, and a bunch of other sites.

EDIT: Here, look at this list. Every show on there the doesn't have the green rectangle will NOT be available on your iPhone, iPad, PS3, or whatever device you have with Hulu Minus.

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Were you guys aware that with Hulu Plus, you can't watch all the already free stuff on Hulu?

That's right. Only certain shows are available on Hulu Plus. Go to Hulu.com, search a show, then tick the Hulu Plus box. If everything disappears, you won't be watching that show on your iPhone.

Ridiculous, right? And this isn't just old shows or anything; you can't watch The Simpsons, Community, Fringe, Chuck, It's Always Sunny, and a boatload of other popular shows on Hulu Plus. I know you're staring at this screen right now with your jaw dropped, but it's 100% true. I signed up for the free trial today and went to watch an episode of Community on my phone. Not found. Fringe--not found. Then I looked on the website: shows and clips you CAN watch on Hulu Plus have a little green "h+" rectangle next to them. If it doesn't have that, you can't watch it on any of your Hulu Plus-only devices.

Needless to say, I will be canceling my trial before they start charging me. Even the name is misleading. "Hulu Plus" should be Hulu...PLUS More, not LESS content! If you have a spare PC lying around at home, I would recommend hooking it up to the Internet purchasing PlayOn. It acts as your own personal Skyfire server for Hulu, YouTube, and a bunch of other sites.

EDIT: Here, look at this list. Every show on there the doesn't have the green rectangle will NOT be available on your iPhone, iPad, PS3, or whatever device you have with Hulu Minus.
    I've had the Hulu+ app since release...

Used it three times so far. It's easier to just tether my laptop and watch on a decent screen without killing my phone battery. They are adding content to Hulu+, give them time.

Remember when you used to get those messages from YouTube about incompatible videos? Same kinda thing.
    It's where you are.

Hulu Plus is a joke. Charge you and give you commercials and less content.. That is ridiculous! Though it is cheaper than having cable tv. I enjoy watching live sports and random shows on Fuel. So I will just stick to paying for cable and have a dvr so i can fast forward though all the commercials and not worry about any buffering.

I honestly don't even mind the ads that much. Sitting through 1 or 2 commercials sure beats torrenting whole seasons of shows that take up storage. Not to mention, it's legal, works on multiple devices, is on-demand, and updates itself with new content. $8 really isn't that much...as long as it includes all the free stuff too. It's not cool to reel me in with on-demand Community, then secretly not have it available once they start getting money out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoenix View Post
    It needs to be 1.99 with no ads.
    If you're honestly this cheap, you shouldn't have an iPhone. Pack a lunch once a month and it won't make a difference to your pocketbook.

People and paying for intangibles, I'll tell ya...
    Last edited by n00neimp0rtant; 11-17-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The "PLUS" refers to HD quality and the fact that you're not limited to the last 5 episodes of currently broadcast shows. Don't blame Hulu b/c the networks don't want to give them license rights to distribute the content.. blame the networks.

I tried to watch the free hulu through PlayOn and the quality was nearly unwatchable on my 60" HDTV. The "PLUS" is the only way to get decent resolution. Yeah it looks ok on your 24" monitor lol... blow that up to 50-60" and you'll gag. $8 is nothing... and the shows that are not available yet will be eventually... this is the FIRST day of the public release people... give it time.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 11-17-2010 at 08:05 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Now if Apple TV would get on board and start allowing iOS APPs, it would be a no brainer. Other than that I think I'll be getting a Roku.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The "PLUS" refers to HD quality and the fact that you're not limited to the last 5 episodes of currently broadcast shows. Don't blame Hulu b/c the networks don't want to give them license rights to distribute the content.. blame the networks.

I tried to watch the free hulu through PlayOn and the quality was nearly unwatchable on my 60" HDTV. The "PLUS" is the only way to get decent resolution. Yeah it looks ok on your 24" monitor lol... blow that up to 50-60" and you'll gag. $8 is nothing... and the shows that are not available yet will be eventually... this is the FIRST day of the public release people... give it time.
    Poseidon..you're able to watch Hulu+ on your big screen using your iphone? I've tried connecting my iphone, iPT, and iPad to my bigscreen using Hulu, and i only get sound out, no video (using official apple cables). My iphone also has TVout (Cydia App) and the video was so choppy it was unbearable.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by ripped53; 11-17-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Mostly the commercials are only on current season items. All previous seasons don't have commercials. Yes, Hulu plus gives you all seasons of many shows. Plus the commercials are between 15-30 seconds. I use it on my PS3 and iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Whatever happened with with the back catalogue for Modern Family? That bummed me out when They went back to only showing the previous five episodes.

Definitely stoked about the $12 they credited back to my account!
    They give and take. Some shows have the full catalog but then after a while they take it back but then bring in new shows and their full catalog. They added Psych and Monk to Hulu+ last month and I went back and watched all the episodes because it is a funny show.
    Last edited by Cer0; 11-17-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah...NO! Should be free!
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ripped53 View Post
    Now if Apple TV would get on board and start allowing iOS APPs, it would be a no brainer. Other than that I think I'll be getting a Roku.

Poseidon..you're able to watch Hulu+ on your big screen using your iphone? I've tried connecting my iphone, iPT, and iPad to my bigscreen using Hulu, and i only get sound out, no video (using official apple cables). My iphone also has TVout (Cydia App) and the video was so choppy it was unbearable.

Am I missing something?
    I use the PS3 Hulu App. To stream the free low def content I used the PlayOn Windows Media Server which like I said was pretty much unwatchable.

i use both netflix and hulu on my ps3 and like them both hulu is for tv and netflix is for movies i dont care about the commercials there not as bad as on actual tv, and you pay more for tv then the price of hulu so stop whining and take what they are willing to give to be competitive

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinemarky For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (11-18-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I enjoy Hulu+ through my Sony Blu-Ray player! Seriously, $8 a month is nothing, and they're only going to make things better as they go along. Might as well try the free two week trial to see how you like it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Who needs cable, satellite, or hulu when you have netflix! lol
    but seriously what are the perks of using hulu instead of netflix?

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    Who needs cable, satellite, or hulu when you have netflix! lol
    but seriously what are the perks of using hulu instead of netflix?
    Netflix has new release DVD content, but not all of it is on the streaming service right away. The downside to this is, you have to wait until the season is released on DVD... IF it gets a DVD release, not all shows got that.

Hulu+ gives you all the same content as free Hulu, but allows viewing from other devices than your computer. It also gives you a back-catalog of previous seasons of TONS of shows, a lot of which never made DVD.

Honestly, as I said before... If you want it all, get both Hulu+ and Netflix for $17.98/month. You can replace your TV service this way and save $40+/month. The only thing you'll miss is live programing like sports (go to a bar, or friend's house, it's more fun that way anyhow), presidential speeches (which often stream live online, or at least are available later on YouTube), and awards shows (does anyone really watch these?)
    It's where you are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast