+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RIM Says PlayBook Beats iPad for Browsing

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default RIM Says PlayBook Beats iPad for Browsing
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72rGDUn2uo[/ame]

RIM is working on trying to build some early pre-release buzz for its PlayBook tablet, which won't be out until the spring. However, that's not stopping the Blackberry manufacturer from throwing down: they produced a new video that they say shows the PlayBook beating the iPad at Web browsing. Of course, there's no way of knowing if the video is rigged, and it's worth noting that it's not entirely fair to compare a 2011 PlayBook to a 2010 iPad. However, it shows that RIM is taking the tablet fight - which Apple has a big head-start on - seriously.

RIM’s PlayBook is not supposed to be available until March of 2011, almost a year after the iPad started shipping. Nevertheless, the company is clearly eager to position their tablet as the much-anticipated "iPad killer". They have already strongly intimated that the PlayBook will be priced lower than the base $499 iPad. The next phase of their campaign appears to be based on the supposed performance gains of the PlayBook. In this video, "Matthew" from RIM's web browser group pits a PlayBook against an iPad running iOS 3.2.2, loading various pages over WiFi. In addition to the Acid3 standards-based rendering test and a Javascript performance test, the engineer loads the UEFA soccer league's website, and CBS.com, which was clearly chosen because it is Flash-based and makes the iPad look bad. The PlayBook's OS is based on Adobe’s Flash and Air technologies, so it's understandable that they'd want to emphasize that.

It's difficult to do a head-to-head comparison between the two devices. The PlayBook’s display is physically smaller, at seven inches, than the iPad's 9.6-inch screen, as well as being lower resolution (1024 by 600 pixels versus 1024 by 768 for the iPad). However, the PlayBook has a 1 GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 processor, as opposed to the iPad's single-core A4 chip. Most observers expect a new model iPad by the time the PlayBook is ready to ship, which should at least have 512MB of RAM like the iPhone 4's, if not a dual-core chip.

In short, it's a nice piece of marketing, but unlikely to sway anyone who's already planning to buy an iPad. It'll also be cold comfort to any PlayBook owners if a faster iPad 2 comes out in the spring.

Source: Engadget
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 11-16-2010 at 12:35 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

IcerMize (11-16-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yeah, i would need to have both in front of me to believe the difference, they could both be associated to different networks, with one being limited somehow, sorry for being cynical.

of course that could well be true, if so, good on RIM, anything that drives forward speedier web implementations is good for us all!
    iDevice-less, for once. flirting with Andy Roid atm, looking to rekindle romance if the right handset comes along

UiK
    Thanks

I'm selling my iPad and buying a Playback.

Thanks

I'm going to wait till the iPad 2nd gen and decide which tablet will be the one I take home, it's either going to be the new iPad or the playbook, the galaxy tab and he HP slate are way to overpriced for me

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel the next ipad will be awesome and still be all around better. They forget to say when watching video or playing games with flash, what the battery life will be like, that is a huge plus for me and my ipad
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks
    iPad 2 will kick the *** off this

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The big question is this: Will the Rim-let support HTML5? If so, it may win because you'll be able to view 100% of the web, not just part of it.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

nice device... but on these close platforms (no full OS) then it's the apps that make the device.
    Really?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    nice device... but on these close platforms (no full OS) then it's the apps that make the device.
    well put.. i cant agree more
    also i hate to say it but im a fan of the iPad's size..love playing games and browsing on it..thats another thing that attracts me to the iPad instead.
    Last edited by psilocybin; 11-16-2010 at 01:56 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

ipad ftw end of discussion who gives a crap about the playbook!

Banned
    Thanks

I call BS. I just took out my iPad (connected to uVerse over WiFi), entered cbs.com in the address bar, then rolled back the video and pressed go as soon as he did. My iPad was NOWHERE NEAR as slow to load cbs.com as the one in the video.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    I call BS. I just took out my iPad (connected to uVerse over WiFi), entered cbs.com in the address bar, then rolled back the video and pressed go as soon as he did. My iPad was NOWHERE NEAR as slow to load cbs.com as the one in the video.
    Haha did the same came to same conclusion

Thanks

Well considering the PlayBook has better specs, I'm not too cynical. Steve Jobs is right though, 10" is it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    The big question is this: Will the Rim-let support HTML5? If so, it may win because you'll be able to view 100% of the web, not just part of it.
    Well, they did demo canvas HTML5 in the video. I think that means it 100% supports HTML5, considering desktop Internet Explorer doesn't support it. Flash still sucks, on it I hope you can turn it off when you don't need it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Y'all can have the playbook and the iPad I want the Android pad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hpwill View Post
    Y'all can have the playbook and the iPad I want the Android pad
    Well you can find yourself an android site than

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    you may not be running the exact same connection speed that the tester is running

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domthebigbomb View Post
    you may not be running the exact same connection speed that the tester is running
    Or it could be the PlayBook somehow ate up more bandwidth than the iPad.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope Apple get rid of the current iPad design and make it like the iPhone 4. Nice and flat. Playbook does look good but I'd rather wait for Android 3.0

Thanks

**coughs** bullchit!!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psilocybin View Post
    Well you can find yourself an android site than
    hahah!