Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad One of "Top 50 Inventions of 2010"

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad One of "Top 50 Inventions of 2010"

Time Magazine has published its picks for the top 50 inventions of 2010, and the iPad is right at the top of the list. As the accompanying article notes astutely, though, the iPad is not an invention per se, but a reinvention of a product that had pretty much been left for dead.

Tablet computers, after all, are far from a new invention. The pen tablet was developed in the mid-80s at a Boston-area startup, and touchscreen PCs have been around since the early part of this century. However, the technology never caught on. “In theory," Time correspondent Harry McCracken writes in his article, 'the iPad is merely a follow-up to such resoundingly unpopular slate-style computers as Microsoft’s Tablet PC." However, he observes, Apple is good at "reinventing a product category that its competitors have given up on," and achieved success with the iPad because they were "the first company that designed finger-friendly hardware and software from scratch rather than stuffing a PC into a keyboardless case."

Including the iPad itself, three of the six best inventions in the Technology section had to do with iOS. The Flipboard app - which combines updates from Facebook, Twitter, and RSS feeds in a graphically appealing magazine style layout - was also singled out for praise. Time also honored the Square credit card reader for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android as one of the year's top innovations.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

myfins1 (11-14-2010)

iPad is Apple revolution...

I honestly don't consider the iPad a tablet computer mainly because it lacks the basic features of what a tablet is. That being said, in my prospective view, the iPad an okay product, will I buy one? No, simply because I already have an iPhone 4 and it's basically the same thing, software wise. However, I still wouldn't buy one either way, it's just not for me, unless they integrate Mac OSX onto the iPad, then that's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jose060789 For This Useful Post:

llescaflownell (11-14-2010), reanimationxp (11-15-2010)

Apple, once again, shows it's innovation on making a "dead" product become super useful, since the iPad basically started the tablet wars.

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    However, I still wouldn't buy one either way, it's just not for me, unless they integrate Mac OSX onto the iPad, then that's a different story.
    Personally, I believe Mac OSX will be integrated with the iPad, seeing that tablets are going to eclipse the laptop and the desktop.

I love how number 2 is an iPad app
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

8. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (11-15-2010)

Not a big fan of the iPad but good to see apple making an impact in reinventing technology
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

The title is misleading.

I read it as "iPad is one of the top 50 inventions of 2010"

which made my say "I hope it would make the list >_<"

anyways, congrats to the apple empire
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xwinger For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (11-15-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Anything apple "reinvents" is going to be huge. The apple logo and brand name is just Soo big in today's technological society. Much love to apple though. I love my iDevice. It's just not fair when it comes to the wars between apple and it's competitors. Apple just automatically gets the upper hand by being apple.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyydaveyy For This Useful Post:

llescaflownell (11-14-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post
    Time correspondent Harry McCracken
    HEHE!

Anyway, iPad Top 50...no brainer!

So they took the ipod touch, made it giant and it's one of the best inventions of 2010? Means there wasn't much innovation in 2010. And I'm seriously laughing at apple fanboys thinking the ipad is a "revolution".
    For **** sakes you mods are amateurs! Why are you trashing my scene!!! Seriously you and me we're done professionally.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christian Bale For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (11-16-2010), reanimationxp (11-15-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    So they took the ipod touch, made it giant and it's one of the best inventions of 2010? Means there wasn't much innovation in 2010. And I'm seriously laughing at apple fanboys thinking the ipad is a "revolution".
    Whether you like Apple or don't you can't deny that they have had a huge impact on the emerging "tablet wars" with the introduction of iPad and that in and of itself could be considered revolutionary. I mean seriously with no iPad there likely wouldn't be a galaxy tab, a viewpad and the plethora of others that will either be market bound or vaporware!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mvhurlburt For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (11-15-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

have to say, I still think the iPad is just a big iPod Touch, but it is still pretty cool.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mvhurlburt View Post
    Whether you like Apple or don't you can't deny that they have had a huge impact on the emerging "tablet wars" with the introduction of iPad and that in and of itself could be considered revolutionary. I mean seriously with no iPad there likely wouldn't be a galaxy tab, a viewpad and the plethora of others that will either be market bound or vaporware!
    The fact that it had an impact on the "tablet wars" doesn't make the ipad any more innovative. The iPhone was innovative when it was launched. Since then, little "innovative" has been done with the hardware IMO. Sure we added faster ships, more ram, more storage space, but the same thing goes for computers when comparing them to older models. Those facts alone do not equal innovation IMO.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (11-16-2010), reanimationxp (11-15-2010)

I still don't know a single person that has one of these things.

so what if the ipad is an enlarged ipod touch? would you rather look at your mail, browse safari, and even play games on the ipod's screen or the ipad's screen! of course it's on the top 50 list... and yes for you anti-fanboys out there the ipad is fricken revolutionary!!!...suck it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyydaveyy View Post
    Anything apple "reinvents" is going to be huge. The apple logo and brand name is just Soo big in today's technological society. Much love to apple though. I love my iDevice. It's just not fair when it comes to the wars between apple and it's competitors. Apple just automatically gets the upper hand by being apple.
    if you look at almost any industry, there is usually one brand that comes out with a similar product as other brands but because its a big name, its better. Clothes are big on this

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    I honestly don't consider the iPad a tablet computer mainly because it lacks the basic features of what a tablet is. That being said, in my prospective view, the iPad an okay product, will I buy one? No, simply because I already have an iPhone 4 and it's basically the same thing, software wise. However, I still wouldn't buy one either way, it's just not for me, unless they integrate Mac OSX onto the iPad, then that's a different story.
    Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    i agree with you on the ipad not being a computer tablet, but i consider it a tablet. you really have to leave out the computer part. I love the ipad mainly because it is similar in technology to the iphone, but when you find certain applications on ipad, you'll see that it is so much more capable than the iphone. Certain games alone make you feel like this. But i still want to see Mac OSX on it, and im sure when apple can have the power of a current macbook pro in the size of the ipad now with the same battry life, it will happen.
    some day
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Everyone that is hating on the ipad is just mad because they dont have one lmao @ all the HATERS ! lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Lets hope they managed to finally create something without patent infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by chizzle187 View Post
    Everyone that is hating on the ipad is just mad because they dont have one lmao @ all the HATERS ! lol
    I would consider an iPad to be FAR from a top 50 invention product. To me any product that saves lives or has the potential to save lives or enhance lives would be far more worthy of a top invention than some f**king luxury gadget.
    Last edited by RICO_; 11-15-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPad... Top 50... DUH!

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I would consider an iPad to be FAR from a top 50 invention product. To me any product that saves lives or has the potential to save lives or enhance lives would be far more worthy of a top invention than some f**king luxury gadget.
    To be blunt, and short, there simply aren't enough of those kind of inventions every year.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Our iPad is the tech gear for our 15 months son; he is masterful at it. The price we paid for the iPad is worth every pennies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast