+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Lets Verizon Produce iPad Commercial

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Someone should check on Steve Jobs right away. He is obviously not acting like his usual self. In fact, Jobs - or someone else very high up at Apple -
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Apple Lets Verizon Produce iPad Commercial

Someone should check on Steve Jobs right away. He is obviously not acting like his usual self. In fact, Jobs - or someone else very high up at Apple - has either lost their mind completely or flip-flopped entirely on Apple's longstanding vice grip on TV commercials promoting Apple products. It's a reality that came to light this week as Verizon - yes, Verizon - has introduced its very own TV spot for the iPad.

Promoting the tablet and Verizon's MiFi for wireless Internet connection, the new commercial represents such a dramatic change of pace for Apple that it's almost difficult to fathom. AT&T, for example, which carries the iPhone exclusively in the United States, still is not permitted by Apple to independently produce original commercial advertisements for the smartphone. Somehow, Verizon isn't being held to the same rule, and now the rival carrier finds itself free to produce an original iPad commercial.

Although rumors have swirled about carrier expansion since AT&T was first announced as Apple's exclusive partner on the iPhone, Verizon and Apple have arguably worked closer this year than almost anyone first thought possible. Yet it should be noted that Apple's coziness with Verizon is just one small aspect of an entire outreach policy for Apple that has the Cupertino based tech giant similarly working with more retail outlets than ever before to carry Apple products. So while Verizon may feel special, Apple is simply making the smart business choice to expand its product availability and exposure to as many consumers in the mass market as possible. If nothing else, this commercial may just reflect that policy.

Verizon
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 11-09-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks

Verizon sucks idk why apple let this happen
    pain & time and glory

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    ...In fact, Jobs - or someone else very high up at Apple - has either lost their mind completely or flip-flopped entirely on Apple's longstanding vice grip on TV commercials promoting Apple products. ...
    Are you kidding? AT&T makes iPhone commercials ALL THE TIME and Apple let's them get away with aping their style completely. AT&T has made their own commercials for every iPhone product and probably makes and iPad commercial or two as well (I haven't paid attention). AT&T even makes multiple FaceTime commercials saying "Only on iPhone" despite the fact that it's:
    A) An open standard
    B) Available on iPod touch (latest gen)
    C) Has nothing to do with AT&T (can't normally be used with their services)

And, yes, the latest commercial for FaceTime stating that WAS after the latest iPod touch was made and yet AT&T still said "only on iPhone."

You can spot them because they usually have a quick AT&T logo and no music, like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niOCm...e%20commercial
    Last edited by CZroe; 11-09-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks

Start in the right direction for Apple-share the spotlight

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If this is a tell, tell sign that Verizon will get the iPhone. I will, in some part, lose respect for Apple. I really don't like Verizon. Their Network sucks, it's CDMA, and there plans are ridiculously expensive. But at the end of the day, Apples loyalties are to their shareholders first then the consumers. As long as they keep one on AT&T. I don't mind. I don't mind at all. iPhone + AT&T = Mobile Heaven (for me that is)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Are you kidding? AT&T makes iPhone commercials ALL THE TIME and Apple let's them get away with aping their style completely. AT&T has made their own commercials for every iPhone product and probably makes and iPad commercial or two as well (I haven't paid attention). AT&T even makes multiple FaceTime commercials saying "Only on iPhone" despite the fact that it's:
    A) An open standard

And, yes, the latest commercial for FaceTime stating that WAS after the latest iPod touch was made and yet AT&T still said "only on iPhone."

You can spot them because they usually have a quick AT&T logo and no music, like this:
    YouTube - Apple - iPhone 4 - TV Ad - Smile
    That advertisement you linked to is made by Apple. AT&T does not make advertisements for the iPhone. Apple puts AT&T's logo at the end to advertise for them because they are the only carrier in the US to carry the iPhone. In Canada the same commercials are shown but with no carrier or a Canadian carrier.

Edit: Oh, and FaceTime is currently only on iPhone if you're talking about cell phones. No other phone offers FaceTime though they may offer a video conference service that is very similar.
    Last edited by Alex.sebenski; 11-09-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks

A) An open standard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niOCm...e%20commercial
    That's such a fail. You linked to a video on Apple's channel.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Possibly because it also advertises the need for the Verizon dongle thing to substitute 3G, is the reason Apple did not produce this Ad.

Look out for iPhone cables in Verizon stores too OMG

/hysteria

ADF
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plumoso View Post
    Verizon sucks idk why apple let this happen
    Are you for real! It's most likely because they're losing the carrier war to Android and soon to be WP7. Where have you been lately?
    This message was K1NG approved.

Thanks

Hello?? This is a good thing! You don't have to be a verizon fan but the point is Apple is branching out and starting to ease their restrictive policies. Good thing android has taken such a large share of the phone market and forcing Apple to give us a better consumer experience. YAY FOR CAPITALISM!!! Maybe one day Apple will allow the sale of unlocked phones!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkenstein909 View Post
    Hello?? This is a good thing! You don't have to be a verizon fan but the point is Apple is branching out and starting to ease their restrictive policies. Good thing android has taken such a large share of the phone market and forcing Apple to give us a better consumer experience. YAY FOR CAPITALISM!!! Maybe one day Apple will allow the sale of unlocked phones!
    Apple only have restrictive policies, as you put it, in the U.S.

The iPhone is on multiple networks in nearly every other country it is sold, and again in many of those countries it can be bought officially unlocked by Apple.

So yeah....maybe one day

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well, my work is buying me an iPad...for what reason, I'm not sure, but hey, its free...and I'm just going to use my 'ole Root Tether from my DroidX. Wifi everywhere.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.sebenski View Post
    That advertisement you linked to is made by Apple. AT&T does not make advertisements for the iPhone. Apple puts AT&T's logo at the end to advertise for them because they are the only carrier in the US to carry the iPhone. In Canada the same commercials are shown but with no carrier or a Canadian carrier.

Edit: Oh, and FaceTime is currently only on iPhone if you're talking about cell phones. No other phone offers FaceTime though they may offer a video conference service that is very similar.
    Exactly... "IF" you're talking about cell phones. The commercial did not specify because, of course, AT&T has no reason to promote iPod touches. And, yes, that one is an Apple commercial. Apple doesn't upload AT&T's commercials and who else is going to? AT&T doesn't want you to know that it isn't from Apple. That was an example of the ones that AT&T wanted it to look like. I can at least find a parody of one of the AT&T iPhone 4 commercials:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-OequhWetw]YouTube - Baby - Apple iPhone 4 Commercial (SpoofTime)[/ame]

And you are wrong about AT&T not making commercials. They do and they have been all along. If you recall, AT&T made ones about being able to talk and browse at the same time too and they wanted it to seem like the "there's an app for that" commercials. This was LONG before the iPhone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    That's such a fail. You linked to a video on Apple's channel.
    Wrong. I said "like this" because those are the ones that AT&T is styling them after. Otherwise I would have EXPLICITLY told you that it was one of them. It is pretty stupid though... "REALLY?!" had me rolling my eyes in disgust. It's WAY beyond "clichéd."

Quote Originally Posted by EagleyeSmith View Post
    If this is a tell, tell sign that Verizon will get the iPhone. I will, in some part, lose respect for Apple. I really don't like Verizon. Their Network sucks, it's CDMA, and there plans are ridiculously expensive. But at the end of the day, Apples loyalties are to their shareholders first then the consumers. As long as they keep one on AT&T. I don't mind. I don't mind at all. iPhone + AT&T = Mobile Heaven (for me that is)
    "Tell-tale"

If you don't know what you are saying, why are you saying it? That's the same questsion I have to ask all of the "could/would/should/hadn't of" people. It's HAVE, not OF!
    Last edited by CZroe; 11-09-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Exactly... "IF" you're talking about cell phones. The commercial did not specify because, of course, AT&T has no reason to promote iPod touches. And, yes, that one is an Apple commercial. Apple doesn't upload AT&T's commercials and who else is going to? AT&T doesn't want you to know that it isn't from Apple. That was an example of the ones that AT&T wanted it to look like. I can at least find a parody of one of the AT&T iPhone 4 commercials:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-OequhWetw]YouTube - Baby - Apple iPhone 4 Commercial (SpoofTime)[/ame]

And you are wrong about AT&T not making commercials. They do and they have been all along. If you recall, AT&T made ones about being able to talk and browse at the same time too and they wanted it to seem like the "there's an app for that" commercials. This was LONG before the iPhone 4.

Wrong. I said "like this" because those are the ones that AT&T is styling them after. Otherwise I would have EXPLICITLY told you that it was one of them. It is pretty stupid though... "REALLY?!" had me rolling my eyes in disgust. It's WAY beyond "clichéd."

"Tell-tale"

If you don't know what you are saying, why are you saying it? That's the same questsion I have to ask all of the "could/would/should/hadn't of" people. It's HAVE, not OF!
    I think you need to do some sanding around your edges.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The commercial didn't specify that there's no FaceTime on a Donkey's Bollocks either. AT&T are implying that the iPhone 4 is the only cell phone with FaceTime, which it is. Fact/Period/End.

Now you said earlier that AT&T make iPhone commercials all the time. Yet you have absolutely ZERO evidence of that statement. You think AT&T-made iPhone ads are made to look like Apple made them? That's because APPLE MADE THEM!!! Not AT&T.

Give me the shovel, you've dug that hole long enough.

Oh and "hadn't of" if very poor english
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 11-09-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    The commercial didn't specify that there's no FaceTime on a Donkey's Bollocks either. AT&T are implying that the iPhone 4 is the only cell phone with FaceTime, which it is. Fact/Period/End.
    According to you, it wasn't AT&T implying anything at all. Make up your mind. What I said was that they said this statement was not true: "FaceTime: Only [PAUSE] on iPhone 4." That statement was not true when they made that commercial and it was a mistake Apple would never have made. The simple fact that you can't find it on the Apple channel when it is still on TV attests to that. As for "proof," I never claimed to have any. They could be using the same production company for all I know, but it's still a distinctly different focus. Mind explaining to me why the AT&T logo is not on all iPhone commercials? Why would it be on one with an unrelated WiFi-only feature and not on the others if it isn't an AT&T commercial? AT&T is trying to promote a device while it is still exclusive to their network using it's features and abilities while they still have their exclusivity. The fact that the iPod does it too is irrelevant to them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efBYxweIngs&]YouTube - New iPhone 3GS Ad-Multi People[/ame]

That commercial is all about making calls while using mobile data. The point was that CDMA/Verizon could not do that. If Apple made it, they made it at the behest of AT&T when their network was under criticism and everyone was screaming for Verizon.

No you said earlier that AT&T make iPhone commercials all the time. Yet you have absolutely ZERO evidence of that statement. You think AT&T-made iPhone ads are made to look like Apple made them? That's because APPLE MADE THEM!!! Not AT&T.

"Hadn't of" isn't even English (note the capitalization of "English"). It doesn't mean anything. Hadn't have is bad English and the only people who would use it are those who think that the second word is "of" and not a form of "had," which was already said.
    Last edited by CZroe; 11-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks

So are all of the commercials for the iPhone 4 by at&t? Every one of them mentions a feature the iPod touch 4 also has and then continues to say "Only on the iPhone 4.". I really don't know who makes the commercials. Maybe Apple hires some other company. Maybe Apple and at&t work together. Maybe they are by at&t. But I think most of you guys need to calm down over a single statement that Apple has been the only one to make ads for iDevices.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

According to you, it wasn't AT&T implying anything at all. Make up your mind.
    Look up what implying means. I have made up my mind, I didn't give you any contradictory statements.

What I said was that they said this statement was not true: "FaceTime: Only [PAUSE] on iPhone 4." That statement was not true when they made that commercial and it was a mistake Apple would never have made. The simple fact that you can't find it on the Apple channel when it is still on TV attests to that.
    Apple - iPhone 4 - One-tap video calling with FaceTime on iPhone 4
    Video on Apple.com states at the end that FaceTime requires iPhone 4 and Wifi, they don't mention iPod.
    As for "proof," I never claimed to have any.
    I have 6 Unicorns and Dragon in my back garden.This must be fact and I don't need to prove this to you because I don't claim to have any proof. But what I say is still true

They could be using the same production company for all I know, but it's still a distinctly different focus. Mind explaining to me why the AT&T logo is not on all iPhone commercials? Why would it be on one with an unrelated WiFi-only feature and not on the others if it isn't an AT&T commercial? AT&T is trying to promote a device while it is still exclusive to their network using it's features and abilities while they still have their exclusivity. The fact that the iPod does it too is irrelevant to them.
    When the iPhone was exclusive with O2 in Ireland, not all the Ads had the O2 logo at the end either. Oh and by the way, those Ads were, and still are, exactly the same Ads you guys get in the U.S except with a different voice over. So I suppose AT&T made ads for the networks in other countries too ya?

"Hadn't of" isn't even English (note the capitalization of "English"). It doesn't mean anything. Hadn't have is bad English and the only people who would use it are those who think that the second word is "of" and not a form of "had," which was already said.
    Yes I believe I was quoting you. You were the one who wrote "hadn't of"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Now you said earlier that AT&T make iPhone commercials all the time. Yet you have absolutely ZERO evidence of that statement. You think AT&T-made iPhone ads are made to look like Apple made them? That's because APPLE MADE THEM!!! Not AT&T.

This guy lmfao

Green Apple
    Thanks

apple makes them or hires someone to make them for them.
    at&t just stick their badge on the end
    in australia we have all the same ads except with vodafone optus and other carrier badges at the end