Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adobe Working to Integrate Photoshop with iPad

Default Adobe Working to Integrate Photoshop with iPad

At Adobe’s recent MAX conference, Chief Technology Officer Kevin Lynch demonstrated new ways the company is working to integrate touch-screen devices with Photoshop. Adobe wants to integrate tablet devices like the iPad into Photoshop and currently has designers working to create mock-ups of possible ways to do this. Some of these mock-ups show Photoshop tool palettes running on an iPad and tutorials to help users get things done more quickly. "What we're working on is connecting your mobile devices to your personal computer over a network so that they can work in conjunction with each other," said CTO Kevin Lynch.

By using a device’s touchscreen as an input device, an image currently being worked on might appear on both computer and iPad screen. Then using an iPad to manipulate the picture, results would show up on both screens simultaneously.

CTO Kevin Lynch showed off an impressive demo using a Samsung Galaxy Tab. He demonstrated just how easy it is to get rid of an unwanted element in a picture by just painting a finger over it. The message “Performing Witchcraft” appeared on screen as the computer processed the image. The resulting picture was free of the unwanted element and you’d never have known it was there.

Color mixing on an iPad was then demonstrated. In the future, you’ll be able to mix colors on an iPad and then use them in Photoshop on your desktop computer. These new tools require a Wi-Fi connection to work and during the demo, there didn’t seem to be any lag time at all.

In addition, Adobe may one day have a Photoshop Tool Palette app allowing you to use your iPhone to select tools in Photoshop. I’m not sure if this would necessarily be any more efficient but it certainly would be an impressive feat.

As the line between desktop and tablet computer continues to blur, it will be interesting to see what innovations companies like Adobe come up with in the future. I look forward to seeing how Adobe integrates touch-screen devices with Photoshop and other software. I wonder if these new tools will help your workflow speed up or slow down. They may not have any effect at all, but it will certainly be fun using an iPad to work with Photoshop.

Source: CNet

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

until tablets get more power under the hood I don't see this as being much more than a toy to most PS power users.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    until tablets get more power under the hood I don't see this as being much more than a toy to most PS power users.
    completely agree.

I will never (famous last words) view an iPhone/iPad app as comparable to a computer program/app. They are just toys and not productive.
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

they are not saying that there will be phosothop on both ipad and computer.. dopes^^^.
    think of it like remote app fr itunes. full itunes wouldn't run on an iphone properly, neither will photoshop. all i can see the ipad and iphones doing is having the menus from photoshop on the tablets so thy there will be more room on the computer screen and users will get more accurate control over colour mixing and brush sizes/softness due to the finger being more accurate than the mouse/track pad on a desktop computer
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^ that's what I was thinkng when reading there post.
    This is a good idea. Definitely make things better and easier
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey EskimoRuler, you happen to be in Alaska?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Your desktop is the easel and your iPad is your palette of paints. Digital painting, sweet. Now what would be really sweet would be being able to have something capture your movements from your iPad to a touchscreen desktop or whatever and be able to paint on it with the color you chose on your iPad. Have a set of digital paintbrush's. I'm sure its out there already though.

Photoshop Express sucks. It has very few features and is less powerful than a lot of other photo manipulation tools on the app store.

Having a tool palette on an iPhone would be very useful. I use Air Display on my iPad and drag all the tool palettes on the iPad screen. It's nice because it keeps things less cluttered.

Photoshop, after reader, the only adobe thing that is actually good
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

^agreed as well, I would love to be able to alter/ make elements for themes without waiting to get home and loading up cs4. Ps express sucks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cylon401 For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (11-08-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

even my Intel pentium 4 dual core (2.9 GHz) has a hard time (about half the time) running anything from creative suite cs5, it would be a nightmare on an iPad or iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    even my Intel pentium 4 dual core (2.9 GHz) has a hard time (about half the time) running anything from creative suite cs5, it would be a nightmare on an iPad or iPhone.
    OMFG!!!! its not the photoshop application there trying to port to the idevices, there simply making an advanced remote for photoshop and possibly you being able to paint on the ipad and it shows up on the computer jeez ma weez!!!

Aaaaaaannnnnd... Wacom just crapped their pants. This would be huge for the tablet word. I really hope this makes it's way into the iPad in the near future. An app like this could potentially free up a ton of screen real estate and make for some very cool added functionality to ALL Adobe products (not just PS).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to j.eck.art.3d For This Useful Post:

Eagleye (11-08-2010)

Whats the arrow pointing at?

Sounds good but it needs to be photoshop on my iPad not a app like this. They need to port Photoshop cs to the iPad or the Photoshop their working on for apple lion to the iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Default All New: Apple MTFMCOS-1
    This is all depending on how much Steve Jobs pisses Adobe off in the future... Chances are their app wont get approved and then Adobe will give Apple the big F-U. Steve will then say, "Screw Adobe's silly CS5 Application Junk... I can make a more *Magical* application suite that will be *Revolutionary.* I will call it, Apple Magic Tricks For Macintosh Computers Only Suite (MTFMCOS-1). Featuring *All New* applications called, iPictureshop, iDraw, iDesign, iGymnast (Acrobat), iRead, iHTML5 Catalyst, iHTML5 Professional (LOL Flash!), iHTML5 Builder Standard, iDream, iFirecracker, iGive.. no wait... iSell (Contribute CS5), iFirstPerformance Pro (Premiere Pro), iMakeEffectsLater (After Effects), iSound, iHere (OnLocation), iRequest (Encore), iOverpass (Bridge), iGadget Central, and iLinkitalltogethertomakeiteasierforyou. (Dynamic Link).
    Last edited by Eagleye; 11-08-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    they are not saying that there will be phosothop on both ipad and computer.. dopes^^^.
    think of it like remote app fr itunes. full itunes wouldn't run on an iphone properly, neither will photoshop. all i can see the ipad and iphones doing is having the menus from photoshop on the tablets so thy there will be more room on the computer screen and users will get more accurate control over colour mixing and brush sizes/softness due to the finger being more accurate than the mouse/track pad on a desktop computer
    Thanks for the namecalling. I am, however, perfectly aware what this program is supposed to do. As I said, unless we get more power in our phones/ipads, I don't think we will see people using those devices for photoshop. As a simple peripheral, a wacom tablet is much cheaper and far more precise/superior...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    This is all depending on how much Steve Jobs pisses Adobe off in the future... Chances are their app wont get approved and then Adobe will give Apple the big F-U. Steve will then say, "Screw Adobe's silly CS5 Application Junk... I can make a more *Magical* application suite that will be *Revolutionary.* I will call it, Apple Magic Tricks For Macintosh Computers Only Suite (MTFMCOS-1). Featuring *All New* applications called, iPictureshop, iDraw, iDesign, iGymnast (Acrobat), iRead, iHTML5 Catalyst, iHTML5 Professional (LOL Flash!), iHTML5 Builder Standard, iDream, iFirecracker, iGive.. no wait... iSell (Contribute CS5), iFirstPerformance Pro (Premiere Pro), iMakeEffectsLater (After Effects), iSound, iHere (OnLocation), iRequest (Encore), iOverpass (Bridge), iGadget Central, and iLinkitalltogethertomakeiteasierforyou. (Dynamic Link).
    Everything you said is highly doubtful. First, the money from PS comes from Mac users hands down. If you use PS professionally or as a student, you are using it on a Mac. Adobe would be foolish to let a grudge hold them back from continued development on the Mac. As for it being banned from AppStore, this is mere conjecture. There is no good reason for it to be banned. With the revamped rules they are letting everything under the sun through anyway...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-08-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Everything you said is highly doubtful. First, the money from PS comes from Mac users hands down. If you use PS professionally or as a student, you are using it on a Mac. Adobe would be foolish to let a grudge hold them back from continued development on the Mac. As for it being banned from AppStore, this is mere conjecture. There is no good reason for it to be banned. With the revamped rules they are letting everything under the sun through anyway...
    Have a sense of HUMOR. I know its incredibly doubtful and so does everyone else here... Im a graphic designer using the Adobe suite professionally on my Mac and I love it. And yes, Adobe would be the one missing out if they held a grudge... and YES, the app would get approved... blah, blah, blah... you're right, im wrong. I was just scoffing at the (incredibly doubtful) idea of an iApple Creative Suite of vengeance. Reeeelaaaaxxx.....